SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Impeller not pumping water

3/18/24 @ 12:38 PM
INITIAL POST
Sawayn33
User since 3/18/24

I'm experiencing issues with my Volvo Penta 5.0 GL engine's impeller not pumping water. We tried submerging the intake completely in a bucket of water and running the engine briefly with the impeller hose disconnected to check for water output, but it didn't pump any water. Even with a brand new impeller (and the same issue with the previous one), we couldn't get it to plinko work. We confirmed that the intake isn't clogged because we were able to pump water through it manually. I suspect the impeller might not properly fit the casing, possibly being too small, but I'm unsure. If anyone has any insights or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
3/21/24 @ 9:29 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Was the old impeller intact or had it disintegrated?  I had a T8 Yamaha where I let the impeller go just a little long and it took for ever to clean out all the little chunks of rubber so that it would properly pump water with the new impeller.
3/20/24 @ 10:29 AM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09
not sure but it could be installed wrong and the vanes on your impeller are backwards.
3/20/24 @ 9:41 AM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06
Try to blow the hose/passage out.  Something as simple as a bit of dried weed or a bug can clog on outboard tattletale hose.  
3/20/24 @ 9:17 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Could the impeller key have ​fallen out?
3/18/24 @ 7:06 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07
Thermostat??
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE