SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

2019 mercury 60 hp 4 stroke

5/14/24 @ 12:22 PM
INITIAL POST
never5
User since 4/9/04

Any idea why my 4 stroke outboard will occasionally smoke and leave oil residue in water when started.This started last fall and did again yesterday can’t see any sign of a leak and motor runs fine but definitely is oil leak of some kind.Can go days without any issue then will do it again normally only lasts few seconds?

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
5/14/24 @ 2:13 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
My motor is on a jon boat I fish the Wolf River with. Most fishing is within a half mile of my launching spot and more often than not I don’t put the boat up on plane and run at low speeds. The piston rings need that operating temperature to fully expand and seal. Without that happening there is a minute amount of oil that gets by causing the smoke at startup. 
5/14/24 @ 1:50 PM
never5
User since 4/9/04
Makes sense as that is same scenario when mine does it a lot of my trips are very short probably not best for motor need to run longer and let warm up more.
5/14/24 @ 1:24 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
I have a 2020 25 hp Mercury four stroke and on occasion it will smoke for a second or two on startup. I have noticed that it usually does that when I start it cold and then run it for a short time not allowing it to come to operating temperature and then starting it again. I’m guessing a small amount of crankcase oil fetes past the rings and into the cylinder and then goes through the combustion cycle creating the smoke as it burns. 
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE