SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Rifles for kids

11/13/17 @ 8:24 PM
INITIAL POST
kaptainkirk_24
User since 6/21/07

I'm looking for recommendations for rifles for my 4 year old daughter and 7 year old son. Since Governor Walker just signed the law eliminating the hunting age requirement I don't want my kids to miss their 1st opening day.  Need something with light recoil since the girl weighs about 40 pounds and the boy about 50.  Need something I can pick up around Green Bay this week. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 36 posts
10/3/18 @ 6:13 AM
redskin
User since 1/28/02

I did something similar to Lakeshiner - I reload for rifle (former high power competitive shooter).  I bought both of my daughters .243's when they started hunting.  Began with light 55 gr bullets for targets and then went up to a light powder load with a 100 gr partition - plenty good enough for WI forest distances.  Both have a number of one shot kills to their credit.  Did the same with my son, but started him with a .308 - maybe a little sexist, but he was not as recoil sensitive as the girls.  But started with light bullets for targets and went up to 150 gr partitions - again with a light load.

10/2/18 @ 12:42 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

When it comes time for a deer rifle, I HIGHLY recommend the Savage Axis.  bought my son his, chambered for .243, in '16 and he took 2 deer that year.  Had chances last year but passed, wanted a buck.

Great gun and affordable price too.  Only downside was the original scope was crap and we replaced it with a Bushnell Banner 3X9.  Well worth it.

10/1/18 @ 9:11 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Looks like fun.  I bought a Savage Rascal for my son as well.  I got the scope mount for it right away too and threw on an old scope.  Gun is so small the scope kind of looks funny but works well.  He shoots really good with it.  Been using the subsonic rounds since they are pretty quiet, doesn't annoy the neighbors.  

My wife has an older Browning Micro A-Bolt 7mm-08 that my son can shoulder perfectly fine as well now.  Its one of the smallest deer rifles I've seen or used in terms of the overall length.  My FIL being into reloading, came up with a reduced round that lessens the recoil but will still cleanly kill a deer.  Not going to buy a box of those at the store though either so you'd have to know someone who has all that equipment and really knows that sort of thing.

9/23/18 @ 3:06 PM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
User since 3/30/18

Got another nice fox squirrel today. Her cousin got one too. This might be the best $150 I ever spent. The gun is so light she carried it the whole time we hunted.

9/23/18 @ 6:20 AM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
User since 3/30/18

Oh yeah didn't even complain about the skeeters. Headed back out today I'll let you know how do.

9/22/18 @ 9:37 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Jigger

That's AWESOME!

Nothing better than taking a child in the outdoors. 

Hope she enjoyed the quality time. 

Big Mac 

9/22/18 @ 6:35 PM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
User since 3/30/18

Bought my 9yr old daughter a 22 savage rascal youth riffle. Went on our first squirrel hunt today. She ended up with a nice fox squirrel !! Grandpa only got a little gray. Awesome day in the woods!

11/21/17 @ 4:11 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05

I seriously hope Kaptain Kirk was just trolling on here. If not he better re-evaluate his parenting skills.

11/21/17 @ 3:39 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

This is an article that might help with the decisions for a young hunter getting started.  

http://www.centralwisconsinsports.net/2017/10/youth-hunt-experiment-reaps-rewards/

11/21/17 @ 2:36 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
Not offended at all. Has nothing to do with being easier just more responsible in my case. If someone does choose crossbow cause it is easier more power to them.  I've hunted with a compound bow for 26 years. Was in an archery league for 17 of them. My kids both have a compound will continue to use it but as time goes and days get busier like to allow them to have options. I know some long bow guys that called me a sally cause I used a compound so I'm used to being a Sally.  I don't feel any less proud when I shoot a nice deer with a rifle than I do with my compound. So why would it be any less satisfying with a crossbow?
11/21/17 @ 2:25 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

Plenty of deer are missed or wounded with crossbows too.  Most of the "able bodied adults" I see making the switch simply couldn't cut it as actual bowhunters.  Bow hunting was never meant to be an easy sport, it is supposed to reward hard work and skill.  X-guns run counter to that.  Should we just make everything easier just because some people fail or don't prioritize?  Just my opinion, but the only X-gunners I will ever respect are those who are handicapped or age has caught up and that is the only way that they can enjoy bow hunting.  Sorry if that offends, but I'm busy too with a demanding job, small kids, and involvement in kids activities. 

11/21/17 @ 1:40 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I hear a bunch of people who wound deer with their compounds, but hey they are using compounds.  Some even post on here about it, most wouldn't.  I think of all the deer wounded using compounds and it astounds me, I wonder what the actual kill tally is by the end of the year?  Sure many of us get pretty much every deer we shoot at, but there is the other end of the spectrum that doesn't even come close.  If crossbows help reduce that number, I'm fine with it.  Its still an arrow, it drops and deflects.  You have to still get them fairly close.  So it takes the 'draw' away.    Can't honestly remember the last time a deer ever busted me while drawing.  Even having to hold back for a bit before shooting, no big deal.  When I first started with inferior equipment I think it was more of a big deal than it is now.

Regarding a kid though, a crossbow is heavy and bulky, more than a rifle.  I can't imagine most of them lugging it around until they are bigger.  I would say even more complicated than a rifle.

11/21/17 @ 11:20 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

This lazy sally is getting myself and 14 year old daughter a crossbow this Christmas. I just don't have the time that I once had years ago to shoot as much as I want too. Coaching baseball and softball all summer takes up all my summer and early fall nights and weekends. I'm not going to let my masculinity or others criticism risk not recovering a animal I know years past would of been recovered.  I don't care what weapon we use as long as we have that time together at the cabin and in the woods. No amount of be called lazy or Sally will change that. 

11/21/17 @ 7:24 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

I hear where you are coming from MightyHunter.  I've got a 7 year old daughter who has a youth compound bow with a 18# draw.  She can't quitte get it back on her own, so her brother or I help her a little when she shoots.  She'll go when she's physically ready.  I believe a kid should be able to do a little more than simply pull a trigger when they are in the woods for teh first time.  Otherwise these kids will be set up for failure.  I can see thie new no minimum age law and over eager parents pushing kids too early and ruining kids at a young age who would have likely stuck with hunting at an older age. 

11/20/17 @ 7:31 PM
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Greatoutdoors, I agree with you about the crossbow thing. If you are capable of using a compound you should, you if choose to crossbow because you can, I think you are lazy. But here is my arguement for that. My 7 year old daughter is a peanut..smallest girl in her class. She weighs 42 pounds (2 year old son weigh 33 pound) I bought here a bear compound kids model that has a max pull weight of 20lb. She still can not pull it back. I have to help her and then let her shoot it. She loves hunting and wants to bowhunting with me. I honestly don't think, when she is 10 that she will be able pull enough weight to ethically kill a deer. I've started doing my research because I feel she will have to use a crossbow in order to hunt.( I understand she has a few years yet) Any thoughts?

I however will always stick to a compound. I think using a crossbow if you are physically able makes you lazy and a Sally. The day I have to switch to the crossbow is the day I quit bowhunting. My opinion and it's not gonna change. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 36 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE