MORE
Big Game Hunting

Best Deer Drag Product/Trick

10/14/18 @ 5:03 PM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I shot my biggest deer last year and had to drag it through mud, brush and swamp about 3/4 of a mile back to my truck.  Not fun and I am surprised I’m not dead from it.  Im looking for input on products for making that easier.  I’ve found plastic sleds/wraps on Sportsmen’s Guide and other sites as well as carts.  I don’t think the cart thing would work where I hunt so I’m looking for something to make dragging easier beit through mud or snow.  Thanks. 

Displaying 31 to 45 of 60 posts
11/11/18 @ 1:02 PM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07

The best option for getting a deer out when it’s a long way in is to break it down, strap it to a frame pack, and carry it out of there.

11/10/18 @ 7:08 PM
dodger
dodger
User since 9/3/01

I just had an idea.(no, it doesn't happen very often) I'm lucky I can pull my deer out with a sled and four wheeler.  

I wonder if we sprayed the bottom of the sleds with Pam or a silicone spray to make the sled even easier. Thoroughly spray the sled a couple of days before using. 

What do you think ? Will that make the sled pull easier ?  No one needs to hurt themselves or have a heart attack.

Mike

11/10/18 @ 4:35 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I don't think there is a trick to it. Grim determination like Mr. Trout showed seems the norm. My small advantage is having a longer and thicker rope than some guys carry. I tie around the horns and the snout then make large double loops so I can lean into hauling with the rope over both shoulders. This helps a lot to keep the snout off the ground while pulling thru brush and over logs. This also leaves my hands free to carry my gun with one hand and grab stuff or break my fall, with the other, when exhaustion sets in and I wipe out.

11/9/18 @ 1:21 PM
zones4
zones4
User since 6/18/01

Ditto on Splitg2...we do the same. 

No issues...hope I just didn't jinx myself.

11/8/18 @ 4:58 PM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07
I use a deer cart. Its got 16" bicycle wheels and I added an aluminum extention on the handle which makes it easier for weight distribution. No problems going thru most terrain, just gotta take your time. I also have a deer slayer sled, but usually always use the cart.
11/8/18 @ 3:42 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

Used a wheelbarrow to haul a deer just under a mile the other day on an abandoned logging road. Worked great. 

11/8/18 @ 2:51 PM
alcrumpler
User since 7/19/09

Iv used sleds they work great as long as you dont have to flip them over alot. An deer is strapped in an rope dont brake or pull out the holes iv used otters ok plow alot an kinda wide.deer carts are good at time other times they are good at twisting a wrist .iv made at cart out of an old dolly put mountain bike tires on it still ok my go to is an old truck liner cut down with a handle for each hand an dont be shy to add an exstra road for spectators lol its light an easy customized for any stiuation

10/19/18 @ 11:46 AM
wihunter71
User since 10/23/12

Just bought this. My brother hunts way back. Hopefully it makes for easier drag. Had good reviews. Not getting any younger.  Hopefully beable to give it a try this year. Ropes that it comes with are pretty cheapy, so gonna replace. Gonna get para cord to tie deer in and a better rope for dragging.

10/18/18 @ 3:06 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

My son hunts in a swamp , and everytime he shoots one he calls me to bring what we call a " Dead Sled " . Basically it's a plastic  childs sled kind of thing , sold at all outdoors type stores . He pulls it and I carry his bow and gear .

10/18/18 @ 1:39 PM
Kutt2
User since 10/31/15

I have a wheeled cart that I modified. I extended the u shaped pull bar, so that I pull it with the bar in front of me. Works so good, I could pull Yo Mama around even!!!

10/17/18 @ 7:38 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Pike

I bought mine are Sears . Orange , heavier plastic,  and holes all down the sides so the knot is at the rear  .

10/17/18 @ 8:14 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Just checked it out and the deer sleigher is exactly what I referred to. Looks like a good buy if you need to drag!

10/16/18 @ 7:14 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

I have had the deer sleigher roll up wrap type sleds for over 30 years. They work well on leaves and ground and excellent in snow. I used the double wide last month to haul my bear.

10/15/18 @ 8:54 PM
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

Game sled from menards for me.  Cheap works good.  Ropes will hold deer on while dragging.  And it holds and blood in it in back of the truck.

10/15/18 @ 1:35 PM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

I use my safety harness and an otter sled. Works great especially on snow or you have to navigate wet areas.

But it will pass you up while going downhill.

But can plow snow at times like was posted previously.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 60 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE