SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Alaska Moose Hunt DIY

12/28/16 @ 1:24 PM
INITIAL POST
fishbones1818
User since 12/28/16

Looking for some advice. My sister and her boyfriend live up north of Anchorage. We are in the process of planning a moose hunt next fall. The area we will be looking to hunt is near Talkeetna. We have some ideas and areas figured out. Just looking to see if anyone else on here has any information or successful hunting trips they went on in that area whether it was a fly-in, float, wheeler or walk-in hunt. Any information welcome.

Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 54 posts
11/22/17 @ 11:10 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Congrats! What an adventure...

That is on my bucket list, probably when I retire at this point. Preferably with a bow. Someday. I can't imagine caring for an animal that large any distance from a road. The whole idea of it is a bit intimidating to me honestly.

11/22/17 @ 10:34 AM
drptine
User since 6/6/07

You do not need a guide in Alaska for moose or caribou and I believe you can hunt any other species with a resident of Alaska. Bears were never a problem and I guess I never worried about them while sleeping because I slept fine. All our meals were mountain house dehydrated meals and were quite tasty. 

11/11/17 @ 12:31 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

I thought nonresidents had to hire a guide?

11/8/17 @ 10:16 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

DRPTINE, congrats on your successful hunt.  I've been to very remote locations in AK twice on fishing/hiking excursions.  The first thing that I noticed on my first trip was how incredibly vast that area is and how insignificant I was in relation to it.  I can't imaging doing the things I did in AK without a guide.  I probably would have gotten lost or eaten by a bear.  What an accomplishment on your part and that's a beautiful set of antlers.

Congrats again!

10/3/17 @ 8:35 AM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Surprisingly the bears really don't bother the meat while it's hanging and if they do I am sure they probably end up shot. My bull was 68 3/4 inches wide. 
10/2/17 @ 8:03 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

drptine,

Thanks so much for sharing those beautiful pics and congrats on your harvest! How many inches did that bull Go?

Tim

10/2/17 @ 4:26 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Looks like the Cabelas  XWT tent you had there. Those tents were some of the best made. I dont know why they quit making them. I have used them in Alaska and Colorado in extreme wind rain and snow they have always stayed dry and upright.

10/2/17 @ 3:22 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Congrats and beautiful pics!!!  Sure looks like an awesome location and a heck of a hunt.

10/2/17 @ 2:50 PM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07

That's a hunt of a life time....congrats...Thanks for sharing!!

10/2/17 @ 12:17 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
If anyone has any questions PM me and I will try to answer any questions if you have them. Thanks again everyone for all the kind comments. 
10/2/17 @ 12:13 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Moose antlers heading home. The lady at the front desk at the hotel gave me a funny look when I hauled those antlers to the hotel room. I got the same look at the airport from the lady when I was checking my antlers in at baggage. The last pic is my antlers in the back of the truck making the final part of the trip home from Minneapolis airport. 
Alaska Moose Hunt DIY photo by drptine
10/2/17 @ 12:11 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Congradulations. That looks like quite an adventure. You know they say once you go to Alaska you never come all the way home! Thanks for sharing your hunt.

10/2/17 @ 12:08 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Heading out of holy cross. Hard to believe that pickup full of stuff fit in that little plane. 
10/2/17 @ 12:05 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Some random pics of holy cross. I did not spend much time there so I don't have many pics of the town. 
10/2/17 @ 12:00 PM
jlkohl
User since 6/9/02

Drptine...harvesting an animal of that magnitude is awesome enough, but on a DIY hunt...big time Kudos man!!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 54 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE