SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

trophy smallmouth lake in northern Wisconsin

8/7/17 @ 7:47 PM
INITIAL POST
wrg668
User since 2/11/02

Hey guys, Im in search of a trophy smallie inland lake or lakes to try in northern Wisconsin as i retire in 2 yrs and wanna spend my time fishing for them on inland lakes. thanks for your replies

Displaying 16 to 23 of 23 posts
2/18/18 @ 1:28 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

Several lakes come to mind , Witches lake near Boulder Jct , both upper and lower . My wife caught our families biggest on a top water , 21.5" . Lake Owen is a good body as is Chequamegan Bay .

Just curious , if no live bait catch and release works until the opener in June , why does the season close at all ?

12/11/17 @ 6:36 PM
Fish Boy 35
Fish Boy 35
User since 1/14/05

There are literally hundreds of trophy caliber brown fish waters in northern Wisconsin. I spend a lot of time up there searching for virtually untouched smallie populations and find new ones every year. Just utilize your resources such as Google maps and charts an start launching your boat and fishing. You're not getting trophies until you're pulling multiple 5.5 to 6lb+ brown fish. They are easier to find than many think up that way and don't underestimate small rivers.........

10/3/17 @ 9:16 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

This is one of my favorite plum Lake pics.  It is my nephew who lives out of state.  He was just stoked.  Funny thing is his sister caught one the same size that same day. 

10/3/17 @ 8:01 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

I can agree with Plum Lake. 19.5 incher caught a couple weekends ago. Also has a bright future as we caught probably another dozen smaller ones between 12-14 inches. Thick bodied as well.

trophy smallmouth lake in northern  Wisconsin photo by BucketMouth123
10/2/17 @ 7:44 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

I'm convinced the next State record is swimming around in Plum.

Years ago Plum had a huge rusty crayfish problem.  The kids would catch 100 a night with the butterfly net, and we'd have a crayfish boil any night we wanted one.

The DNR stocked a bunch of Smallies, and they definitely took care of the crayfish issue.  We can't even catch enough crayfish for a boil anymore.

The Smallies gorge themselves on crayfish and grow, grow, grow...

Many times when you catch a Smallie, they have a crayfish hanging out of their mouth - they don't go hungry.

10/1/17 @ 2:17 PM
Bobger
User since 5/7/17

testing

9/30/17 @ 9:20 AM
bassbill
User since 6/16/06

I agree with PMLK on Plum Lake, the smallies have reached sizes equal to Sturgeon Bay. Thick, massive bodies. I've also heard Presque Isle has great trophy smb but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

8/20/17 @ 7:11 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Plum Lake - There are some absolute tanks swimming around in there! 

8/8/17 @ 8:02 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

Butternut Lake is fantastic. Just east of Eagle river and has public launch.

Carpenter Lake is also an excellent smallmouth lake but is private. There is a resort to rent cabins and that is how you can access it. 

Most lakes with smallmouth will produce. They are such a hearty fish that they thrive in that environment. I would try and research lakes that have minimal northern and largemouth populations and the smallmouth will probably be there in better numbers.

Displaying 16 to 23 of 23 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE