SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

Pro's & Con's of putting plow on ATV

12/31/17 @ 12:35 PM
INITIAL POST
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Were thinking of mounting plow on ATV, is it worth the money ? How much snow can we move ?  Will it be better than a blower ? Renting farm property with longer drive, don't have truck with plow. Want to keep expense to a minimum. Any info will help.

Displaying 16 to 28 of 28 posts
1/3/18 @ 3:17 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

The guy next door does my 100 yd driveway with a 400 honda,he does it 5 times faster than I can do it with a two stage ariens.I just give him some venison and tye some panfish flys.I should buy an atv myselve but I'm to cheap LOL.

1/3/18 @ 12:44 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I also use my AtV for my longish straight driveway. It works great in Central Wisconsin, If we do get a BIG snowfall, that dumps 8 inches of heavy snow, I will call in a truck and pay the fee. I have the Polaris plow and it works good with my Polaris 570. If you live in the snow belt where you can expect a lot of snow, you will probably need a back-up plan for the big storms. Mrt.

1/3/18 @ 8:45 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Been plowing snow with an atv for 20 years. No complaints. Need to push it back further the first time in the event you get heavier snow falls throughout the season. i.e., plan ahead, much like you would with any snow removal device you choose. If you already have an atv go for it.

1/2/18 @ 11:10 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

I'e been plowing my 1/4 mile long driveway for nearly 10 years with my Polaris Ranger UTV. It does the job very well. No chains required.

On the rare years we get a ton of snow I may need to hire a guy with a truck mounted plow to widen the driveway if banks get too high. Typically only need to do this once.

At $65 a pop to hire out the plowing, I have come out way ahead over the years.

1/2/18 @ 10:48 AM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

I'm with Longbarrels, it's just a toy, unless you only get a couple inches a few times a year.  After any significant snowfall, typically the temp drops drastically, I would rather by sitting comfortably in a cab vs being bundled up freezing my ars off on an atv.

1/2/18 @ 9:49 AM
larryallen
PRO MEMBER User since 12/4/02

I plow a 300 foot driveway up a hill with my Honda ES400. Even going up hill 4WD without chains works good. If the snow is very deep and heavy I sometimes need to make the first pass from the top to the bottom to get things started. I originally had a manual lift blade and last year I installed a Superwinch. The installation was tedious and a lot of work. The manual lift was a little faster than the winch but I like being able to control the blade height with the winch. It was also a struggle lifting the blade with the manual lift. I use synthetic rope instead of cable and have had no problems. It also was a pain having to press the handle reverse button while pressing the hand brake when shifting to reverse. I modified the handle so that no button or brake is required to go from forward to reverse. With these refinements the rig works great.  I have used this rig for the last 3 years and snow build up has not been a problem yet here in Waukesha county.  If I lived in the Lake Superior lake effect snow area it would be a different story.

1/2/18 @ 9:35 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

ATV plows are worthless IMO.  there are no PRO's besides it taking 3 times longer than a snow blower in turn being away from the wife 3 times longer.

If anyone thinks a ATV and plow is the best way to plow snow you are mistaken.  it's the truth,  you just don't realize it yet.

They aren't worth the money, they beat up the machine, I've broken many cables,  once the snow is there,  you can't move the piles etc etc.  it's really just an expensive hobby.  there are many more ways to do it more effectively.  

Personally,  in the OP's situation,  i'd either ask a neighbor with a plow,  come down one time with a plow....or just buy a nice 2 stage that will last 20 years.  it's a better,  faster, cheaper over time option.

1/1/18 @ 10:02 PM
newoodhntr
newoodhntr
PRO MEMBER User since 12/11/01

I see they make snowblowers for ATVs now I that would be ideal where you don’t have the room to push it back far enough.   

1/1/18 @ 2:01 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

Had one on my 2002 Honda foreman from the time I bought it new till I gave it to my son when I bought a new one in 2015 . I live in an area of the state where we get 80-90 inches of snow annually , sometimes more with Lake effect . It works well but, as others have mentioned , you can reach a point where the snow has no more room to go anywhere , and your driveway starts getting more narrow with each pass . That's when we pull out the blower to move the snow over the banks . I used to go ahead with my shovel and break up the banks in order to blow it away . Thay work well until you have to work harder to finish the job ! I now have a 44 inch blower on my John Deere , no more snow banks !

1/1/18 @ 12:14 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Been plowing large and small driveways for 18 years with 4 wheelers. Cons would be the 4 wheelers such as Polaris that have the reverse override button. You get used to it but can be a pain as rear wheels spin before 4 wheel kicks in , in reverse. Get a 60" plow so your not packing snow down driving over it. Get a heavy plow such as Moose plows not the lighter weight like Polaris I had both. You can move a bunch of snow and I usually make a ramp of snow when I run out of room and push it over the ramp. Good luck and have fun. Yes way better and faster than a blower.

12/31/17 @ 9:28 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

You can move plenty of snow with a 4 wheeler and plow, assuming it is a 4wd unit. Quite fast and nicer than a truck for any tight spaces, sidewalks, etc. 

My only suggestion would be make sure you bank it back a ways if you are in an area where you’ll get much snow. They can’t bust a pile free and move it like a truck can.

12/31/17 @ 2:02 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

Do you already have a 4wheeler?  If so I think it's worth it. It's more fun as well. 

Displaying 16 to 28 of 28 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE