SEARCH
MORE
Archery

What length of bolt for my crossbow?

10/21/18 @ 5:00 PM
INITIAL POST
Insywinsy spider
User since 3/4/03

I'm new to using a crossbow and just bought a Wicked Ridge Invader X4. It was supposed to come with 3 aluminum bolts, but it didn't. Thought I would their length. The manual recommends 20 and 22 inch bolts. Is this just based on preference. 20's I imagine are lighter and quicker? 22's a bit heavier but better penetration? Going to buy some carbon ones tomorrow. Also, are mechanical broadheads different for crossbows, or any broadhead will work?

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
10/30/18 @ 11:40 PM
alexdozon
alexdozon
User since 9/26/18

I have always used 20" aluminum bolts with a scope. What's your draw length? 20 or 22 will both work well. But for you can't say anything without knowing whether you use scopes.

10/23/18 @ 4:26 PM
alcrumpler
User since 7/19/09
I shoot horton bone collector 22" shwacker 2 1/4 i hunt 10acres only had 2 make it  past property line. Not sure if you shoot scope or not if so id look into recommendations for the scope also 
10/23/18 @ 1:32 PM
Topwater Twich
User since 10/6/08

I also agree with the 20" length carbon just make sure the nock is correct for your bow. With the speed your xbow shoots, I would personally use the specialized mechanical broad heads designed to not pre-maturely open due to fast velocities created. I once watched a youtube video and 5 out of 6 "crossbow" broad heads would open before hitting the target. Swhacker or nothing for me.

10/22/18 @ 9:02 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

I use 20" aluminum bolts with my Wicked Ridge with the new Spitfire 4 blade mechanical broadhead. A very deadly combination!!

10/21/18 @ 7:44 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

What's your draw lenght?

10/21/18 @ 5:34 PM
buckmaster68
User since 3/9/15

Either 20 or 22 will work. I have always used 20 inch so they dont stick as far out in the quiver when mounted onto bow and in the bow when ready to shoot. And you can use regular broadheads for regular bows or the special crossbow broadheads. I have used both and not sure there is any difference other than they seem to paint the special labeled crossbow heads are orange in the muzzys and the rages. 

I do use carbon arrows too also. See no reason to use aluminum anymore and deal with bent arrows when carbons are so nice. 

10/21/18 @ 5:22 PM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

Good question! My gut tells me longer arrow but not sure what science says? Back 10 years ago when you had to “earn” your crossbow I worked with a guy shooting 26” arrows and scored on 2 Adams County Giants so they worked for him but I’m curious to learn about this topic? I’m a vertical guy at heart but I do have a couple spots that just set up better for a crossbow situation! 

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE