have you br harassed this hunting season

12/29/15 @ 2:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
iceman1973
iceman1973
USER since 6/30/14
have you been harassed by other hunters or people just walking thru the woods? i had gun hunters put stands up less then 80 yards from my stand & they know it was there.i just had a couple walk past my stand & tried to tell them if they keep doing it its harassment witch it is.they said they would not stop. last year i had a gun hunter waling less them 10 ft from my bait pile so he could walk to his gun bling. anyone else be harasser this year or any other year?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
8/11/16 @ 12:29 PM
velocity
velocity
USER since 5/12/16

Well, I want all of you to stay outta' my woods!!!!

Post Your Comment
12/31/15 @ 7:49 AM
iceman1973
iceman1973
USER since 6/30/14
i found out that there are a lot of so called laws that aren't real laws.this needs to change, scene how you gonna know if you are in the right or wrong.

Post Your Comment
12/30/15 @ 1:44 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15
It truthfully makes me wonder, why hunt at all? I'm very thankful for the public land I now hunt and most of the private land experiences I've had. Good luck guys.

Post Your Comment
12/30/15 @ 11:10 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Whatup - I HAVE been "harassed" by those different property owners. And more.

I have mentioned several different incidents to a local warden and in exactly ONE case did anything happen... The owner of a "century farm" decided that even though the family had owned that land since the 1870's,the day we had words was the day they needed an access across the creek I was using for access. He took a tractor and dropped a couple telephone-type poles across for a surprise when I came out in the dark

They were removed after I mentioned it to the warden but I didn't make a special issue about it.

Each case that I have experienced would take a couple paragraphs to explain. I have learned that unless it's blatant and there's no other explanation,good luck on satisfaction and an extra "good luck" on not getting any retribution.

The guy with the poles probably could have legally left them there as a "bridge" but the warden embarrassed him into removing them.

There was another case that wasn't (yet) harassment. I'd just left my truck on the highway and was only 50yds or so into the brush - scouting - whenI heard a truck pull up behind mine. Something felt funny so I headed back and saw a guy walking around my truck talking on the phone. I snuck in close enough to hear him say "That guy in the red XXXX is back again. What do you want me to do about it?"

I stepped out,immediately took a picture of his license plate,then got in his face and asked "Just what ARE you going to do about it?"

After that,I NEVER leave my truck in that general area where it's obvious where I'm hunting. I unload,bring my stix/stand,pack and bow in the brush a bit,then drive down the road a piece to park....

But the guy who deliberately walked straight to my stand while I hunted,looked up,then walked away...the guy who did the same while I hunted from the ground (he'd followed my footprints in snow)...the guy who drove the ATV on to state land and "buzzed" me...the guy who reported my truck to the sheriff's dept as "abandoned",the guy who screamed at me that I was trespassing even though I had two different plat maps ON ME (paper county map copy,and a phone app) that showed I was a respectful distance from his property...The guy who would drive the property line with music blaring and occasionally stop and bang the side on his beater jeep...

I found that if there's ANY chance of problems and the parcel is worth hunting,sneak in sneak out,park a ways down the road...Spread my pressure out - don't hunt the same area often...

I found that avoiding confrontation was the key to peaceful and successful hunts.

Here's another bit I learned: You'll have better luck on state land with some issues but wardens need to have a good working relationship with adjacent property owners more than they need to have a good relationship with me.....County land? Phhht. The attitude I found was "just be grateful you can hunt there at all"...

Although one complaint to a state forest employee at the office in Eagle got me this response "A lot of people back there aren't used to seeing you guys back there AND DON'T AGREE WITH WHAT YOU'RE DOING." He went on to tell me that there was a history of trespassing problems in that area leading all the way back to when the state purchased the adjacent lands. That he knew that "neighbor" personally and she was a very kind woman. I should hunt somewhere else.

Now I'm getting irked again....It's public land NOT ON TAX ROLLS and as a property owner I know that affects MY taxes....

But as a hunter I've learned that "sneak in sneak out avoid being seen.."BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN YOU'RE IN THE RIGHT....and I can be reasonably certain to have air in all 4 of my truck tires when I return to my vehicle.

I've heard this: Bring a light cloth bowcase and upon confrontation immediately case the bow. Record the incident if possible....and if carrying concealed,KEEP it concealed.

Another thing I do is waypoint that location and later study the aerials. That's to see if I missed anything - like maybe doe bedding area or a tower stand nearby on private....

But I search out those spots because they tend to hold the most - and most unpressured - deer...I have also decided that in most places,the guy who walks under my stand and apologizes,saying he's mushroom hunting - or whatever - really IS mushroom hunting.

You asked.

(edit) Oh,an another thing I do is walk the exact property line during winter at areas I really like. I'm looking towards the private land for stands: I honestly DO NOT want to be hunting near anyone else. If someone's hunting - or OVERHUNTING - the area I'll look for a different way to hunt to the area,or I'll move on and leave it to the guy already hunting there.

Post Your Comment
12/30/15 @ 9:29 AM
perchthriller
perchthriller
USER since 7/14/09
lakeshiner that is pretty much what was explained to me when I informed a warden of a time I was harassed while trout fishing. Basically the warden needs to see it or there has to be some recording of it for them to be able to write the ticket. At least that is what the warden explained to me. This is also a person they had dealt with in the past numerous times on the issue.

Hunting public is a mixed bag. Hunting over bait, well in my opinion that limits how much area you can cover to get away from other hunters.

Post Your Comment
12/30/15 @ 9:11 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
You won't prove it unless you have video footage of the guy doing something that is deemed harassment. I don't think anything you described is harassment. If you were to report it, the warden would talk to them and they'd say you are bugging and harassing them, or they would flat out deny it. Your word against theirs, they would never admit to anything in the first place. Need proof. A warden would not just take you at your word, he can't. It would be too easy to screw someone over intentionally.

There is a guy up by my place who everyone hates, has had harassment brought up against him numerous times but it never sticks. People say he even shoots his gun when people get anywhere near his property line, total nut job. Have to prove it though or you have no case.

Post Your Comment
12/29/15 @ 10:17 PM
gotacarp
gotacarp
USER since 2/2/10
Ya had someone take my cams and toss moth balls oll over the woods and dump shampoo all over the woods! And this is all on private land! I would love to catch these people! It could be fun when and if I do! Lmfao

Post Your Comment
12/29/15 @ 9:41 PM
whatup
whatup
USER since 12/9/01
I would be interested in hear from some people who actually were harassed though.

Post Your Comment
12/29/15 @ 9:31 PM
qdmaguy
qdmaguy
USER since 6/14/10
Nobody kept you from hunting. You stated as much

You have to be trolling, right?

Post Your Comment
12/29/15 @ 8:27 PM
iceman1973
iceman1973
USER since 6/30/14
you people need to look at the law (WI STATUTE #29.083) basically once you know someone is hunting you cant lawfully keep you from hunting.even if its public land.it comes from the protesters with the wolf hunting.dnr might not do much but ill report it anyways.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts