LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Upland/Small Game

Suggestions on protecting a dogs face while hunting?

10/23/15 @ 9:37 PM
INITIAL POST
silvrbck
User since 6/29/04
Anything would help. It looks tender around his nose and a bit on his eyes. Even some blood. He has chaffing on his inner thighs as well. My dog is special but not this special. What do you guys do to minimize this? Is there a face shield out there? Thanks for any advice. I have a black lab.
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
10/25/15 @ 8:30 PM
musky queen
User since 7/17/03
The vaseline does not affect his hunting smell at all. Does your dog get scrapes around the nails and knuckles of his paws. I use a liquid band,aid spray. It helps but does not prevent the scrapes. Like your dog it is v happening because the dog hunts so hard. And pretty much bulls his way through anything thought about boots but I don't think they would stay on or the slip factor. Can hardly keep his orange cape on.
10/25/15 @ 7:19 PM
silvrbck
User since 6/29/04
My dog has never had issues with grass/allergies. His injuries are from hunting hard, taring through grass/cattails, etc. to chase down pheasants.
10/25/15 @ 8:28 AM
silvrbck
User since 6/29/04
Thanks. I washed his nose, and paws with soap and warm water. Apparently my dog loves it too. I'll try the Vaseline next time we go out. Does the vasaline effect his sense of smell at all? What about the doggie shoe things? I don't care that they look goofy, so long as they worked. My dog is in his prime right now and can go all day and I need the exercise.
10/23/15 @ 10:17 PM
musky queen
User since 7/17/03
I use a light smear of vaseline on Windzor's and ears just before we hunt. I t hink pheasant forever recommended ihat. I wash him with warm water around the face , paws, back and his underside when we get home. I can check for cuts and sticktights. And he loves it. I dry his underside really good and apply baby powder in the chaffing areas. Watch for the dust in his nose.
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE