MORE
Upland/Small Game

Hunting with "non traditional" dogs

10/4/14 @ 7:05 AM
INITIAL POST
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Anyone hunt over dogs that you don't generally see out there? My bird dog is one of those golden doodle things, or at least by breed. He sheds, has straight hair and is black. Seems like he is the Danny DeVito in the movie Twins. Anyway, he is one of the better upland dogs I have seen, natural pointer, retrieves without fail and just plain listens. What more can you ask for? I once saw a guy hunting pheasants over a pack of those little carwash mitt dogs. Must of had 5 or 6 of them running in a pack but boy did they put up the birds! It sure was an interesting take on bird hunting. Just curious if anyone else is using something other than the standard lab/spaniel/pointer etc variety.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
11/4/14 @ 7:54 AM
watspan
User since 8/3/12
another Dale Creek AWS 'Chip' rockin' a Rock County Rooster last week.
10/9/14 @ 7:01 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
That Millertime, is what its all about right there! Enjoy every minute you have left!
10/8/14 @ 10:05 PM
millertime63
User since 6/5/10
I have a nine year old black labordoodle that is awesome! At least 1000 retrieves, conservative. Bought him as a family dog and he rocks. Points pheasant, quail. Flushes if the y run, awesome on the water with ducks and geese. Have never lost a single bird. Has issues with dead geese in the field( we shoot lots) he mostly brings them half way back, then looks at me and kind of says you come get it. Crippled geese over 200 yards chases them down and brings to the blind. Guessing only year or two left as my favorite hunting buddy, argh. Sat in northern wi he retrieved one mallard and pair of hooded mergansers, game on, usually get out 35 days per year, only hunted one day without him since I got him, hurt leg, have not even deer hunted in 9 years, get a dog with natural instincts, treat him as family and he will not disappoint!!! Smile Yes I like my dog.
10/8/14 @ 6:26 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Great looking dog Dude!
10/8/14 @ 9:12 AM
lad 8
User since 5/4/08
Hey Dude, just got one from Dale Creek, 4 months old and he surprises me everyday. As of yesterday he has trailed a pheasant drag and retrieved it to hand. Retrieves pheasant thrown in high grass & does not give up till he finds it. Will be hunting him this season, with my Lab.
10/8/14 @ 8:55 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
I hunt over the Wisconsin state dog, the American Water Spaniel. I have yet to see another in the field. Great dog. Hunts close, has a great nose, and a soft mouth. Plus, he is an awesome family dog.
10/7/14 @ 9:48 PM
Cheese23
User since 10/30/13
I hunt over a pitbull/springer/ who knows what kind of dog. He is actually really good at hunting. Has one of the strongest desires I have seen in a dog. He will go all day and not get tired. The plus to having him is when other guys see him they go the other way because they think pit. Fine by me we will get the birds.
10/7/14 @ 8:19 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
I have no doubt that it came from the golden side Jkling. Wherever he got what he has, he is 3 years old, no formal training other than me bumbling around with him (after all he is a pet first and my other 2 dogs would rather ride the couch). That dog is ten times the hunter I will ever aspire to be.
10/7/14 @ 9:48 AM
JKling
User since 10/17/08
Troy, the retrieving gene must have come from the Golden side ;) I'd never look down on any dog in the field. We had one of our Goldens out during the Pheasant season... hunted for a few hours without putting anything up. On the way out we ran into a guy carrying a pair of them and trotting alongside was a Terrier (Jack Russell if I remember right, it was 30 years ago). I turned to our dog and said "well, what do you have to say for yourself"? That Golden was a game bird Terminator, patient, almost business like in the field, very savvy... and she was schooled by a Jack. We had a Yorkie that loved being in the field, he could put up Woodcock like crazy in the spring when he could still easily root around the cover. He also liked to scavenge Deer carcases, so not sure what was up with him. He wasn't your typical Yorkie with bows in his hair.
10/7/14 @ 9:03 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
I have 2 boykins as of now and I'm sure I'll end up with several more before long. Mine are absolutely the best dogs I've ever known for companionship, hunting and retrieving. I've always had goldens (the real kind) and never thought I'd have another kind of dog. Now I'm certain I won't have anything but a boykin.
Hunting with
10/6/14 @ 6:06 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
That's the beauty of my guy, JKling. Mine is first and foremost a retriever. I tried to teach him to point when he was little and he really took to it. Best of both worlds!
10/6/14 @ 12:19 PM
JKling
User since 10/17/08
All dogs have the nose. In addition to our retrievers we've had some Terriers and mutts and all could routinely find and flush game while out in the field. The issue, as someone alluded to, is recovery after the shot. Not an area that the "non traditionals" excel in. Much as I loved those dogs I'll stick with our Goldens for hunting.
10/5/14 @ 8:18 PM
bbasil
bbasil
User since 10/24/12
I also hunt over a golden doodle. She's a great pheasant, grouse and duck dog. Great nose and retrieve. She looks more like a golden than a poodle.
10/5/14 @ 9:35 AM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Hahaha I can Just imagine James! That coat looks like Velcro.
10/4/14 @ 7:34 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
I don't hunt over my German Shepherds.... but the one has flushed his share of pheasants when we go out exploring. Not by accident either. I have no doubt he would retrieve anything...but not sure there would be much left, Very hard mouthed! But they were bred to bight things after all.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE