Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Where to get Pork Fat for sausage, brats,etc?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

piker20
See Profile
Level: General User
9/28/11 7:19 PM CST
Prolly seen this on the other threads but figured I would ask. Where or what do you add to ground venison for summer sausage, snack sticks or brats? I heard pork fat or pork butts? I tried the local butcher and asked a young kid and he had no clue, where do you get your fat? We have always sent our stuff out but would like to do it myself for once. Can you get it from your local supermarket butcher?

eyesman
eyesman
11/25/11 10:35 PM CST
I get Boston Butt Roast ground for my sausage making. It has the right fat content giving you sausage that is not too greasy yet not dry.

zeplure
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
10/3/11 6:31 PM CST
I got Pork trimmings from pick and save for .99 per lb. just order it they get meat a couple times a week.

Foundry Rat
Foundry Rat
10/3/11 7:36 AM CST
Ask for "pork trimmings" at any butcher shop/meat processor. I usually call a couple to get the best price at the time. Some places give a better price if you get a full box.

RiverGuy
See Profile
9/29/11 12:01 PM CST
Have more selection from local butcher shop, as said, if you want more than just meat. I usually buy either ground pork and mix in, or the fattiest pork shoulder or pork butt (butt tends to be fattier) roasts and then chop them up and grind in.

lazyfishr
See Profile
9/29/11 10:49 AM CST
Local butcher shop works well. If you know someone that is going to get a whole/half hog ask if you can have the fat. Butchers will often keep it for themselves, but if it is requested the buyer can get it. We got about 15 pounds of nice back fat from our neighbors when they got a half hog.

roofer
See Profile
9/28/11 8:17 PM CST
go back to a local shop. I order all my trim, pork or beef a week ahead. most have everything you need . spice, casing advise.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook