SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Heated box tip ups

12/15/11 @ 5:43 PM
INITIAL POST
Fish plunger
User since 3/22/11

Does anyone use box tip ups?  I like the concept. I see some advertised on the site but Im not sure how well they work. They look really cool.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 68 posts
2/21/12 @ 4:30 PM
vivasparks
vivasparks
User since 6/12/09
a candle in a can, sterno or coal works fine for box tip-ups, the only problem is if it's a windy day make sure you can block the wind in some way, i use 16 hour candles normaly and hardly ever have a problem, sterno works on colder days when it's windy but the flame is a little bigger so i put a small lantern globe on the top of the can so not to burn the wood, mine i have had since 1980.
2/21/12 @ 3:11 PM
Doubletreble
User since 1/19/11
I would like to know how you guys heat these box tip-ups? I have had mine since Neil Young was popular and we always used a piece of charcoal in a little can in the corner of the tip up. Messing with the coal is a pain in the !@#$. I was wondering if anyone had any other Ideas? Worried
2/20/12 @ 9:15 AM
TeamG
User since 4/28/08
Do the flags on a bite me box tip up have shafts to work with frabil tip up lights? I have bought a few tip ups that have small diameter wire for the flags and the lights don't attach at all.
2/3/12 @ 2:00 PM
vivasparks
vivasparks
User since 6/12/09
i have box tip-ups that i made in 1980 and still use to this day,they still work as well now as they did then with just a minor upgrade to the reel assembly and flag.
2/3/12 @ 1:55 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I was going off of memory you dope. It's probably 6" high, I don't know. It's much smaller than the pics I've seen on here. They work fantastic and have lasted 20 years already. Bet you won't find one that's been around that long and still producing! LMAO! Your mechanism is from a regular tip up, that's all I need to know how it works LOL! I didn't mean to offend before (I do now). People I know have used them since the 80's, the whole point was to get away from the manufactured flag styles and get something more sensitive. You just made a regular tip up into a bigger tip up. I was just explaining another way to make them, which works very good. I wasn't sitting outside measuring them when I did this LOL! Yours is fine, I just thought it was big since my tip ups are half the height. I've seen many flag mechanisms for them. Some guys have the flag actually hold the spool in place so when the spool turns the flag goes up. There are lots of ways to do it.
2/3/12 @ 12:42 PM
CatfishHunter47
CatfishHunter47
User since 1/16/07
Shiner you got it all figured out! Puke That is 12x12x12 inches!!! Chroist sake, so what if it resembles the housing of the only two manufactured box tipups on the market. The mechanics of mine is nothing like theirs, actually its the best of both!
2/3/12 @ 9:11 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Those sure are some oxy looking things. I know you just copied what the store bought ones look like, but they don't have to be so big or shaped that way. Just make a box a little bigger than your hole, maybe 10"x10" inside or 12"x12". Maybe 8"-10" high or so. Make a removable lid with a handle, you can do this by putting little blocks in the corners of the box to hold the lid, they can also help hold the sides together. Then put those little white plastic clips on the outside to hold the lid on for transport, the kind you just turn. In one corner put a single deep metal electrical box to hold your charcoal. Put your spool in the corner across from it, just make a metal bracket and put the spool on a small machine screw. I just use regular black tipup spools. Just make sure it spins freely. If you want tension on the spool, use a lock nut. Then you have everything but the flag. To make the flag, use a piece of wire the size of a hanger wire. On one end weld a flat piece of metal in the shape of what you want your flag to look like. Some guys use letters, like the first letter of their last name. I just have a diamond on mine. Then slide a weight onto the wire, it can just be a big bell sinker. On the other end of the wire, bend the wire to make a slight hook. Just before the hook, you will need a stopper to keep the bell sinker on the flag. Just wrap electrical tape around it until it's thick enough to stop the flag. Cut a slot into the side of the box between the spool and charcoal holder. The flag will go in this, try to make it so the hook part of the flag reaches the center of the box (your hole). The part on the outside should be the same length as what is inside the box. Attach the flag on the inside so it can teeter up and down. You'll need to cut a slot into the lid as well. Now use a split ring to mark your depth. Put the ring on the hook end of the flag. This hooked end should not be much of a hook though, you want the ring to slip off when a fish hits. Just enough to hold the ring in place. Use the bell sinker to slide up and down the flag for sensitivity. With this setup, I can see fish mouth the bait. Crappies will bob the flag when it's set very sensitive, usually it's tripped by the time you get to it. Plus you can hear the flag trip as the weight hits the side of the box. They essentially work like a tip down in a box. I also have rectangular shaped boxes with flip lids, but the flag on those is a little different in that it's shaped more like a long 'S' and goes through a hole in the side of the box as opposed to a slot. Works the same way though.
2/3/12 @ 8:04 AM
CatfishHunter47
CatfishHunter47
User since 1/16/07
Actually it is very sensitive. I believe that it will work just fine for perch. Do you have any JUMBOS for me to go test it on though? The only time i plan on using the darn thing would be afternoon/night wally fishing. The whole thought of being able to sit and attend my Coleman 18 over babysitting my boards all night just gives me goosebumps!
2/2/12 @ 2:01 PM
Fish plunger
User since 3/22/11
Looks like alot of work. Have you tried them on panfish yet. I would still be concerned with the flag tension for perch and crappie. Looks like they would work great for big fish.
2/2/12 @ 12:33 PM
CatfishHunter47
CatfishHunter47
User since 1/16/07
Made my own out of a broken Frabill Classic and a cheap fly reel. Not totally sold on the idea of lugging this around, but should make it more enjoyable night fishing when it is frigid! Will post final build when i finish it tonight!!!
Heated box tip ups photo by CatfishHunter47
2/2/12 @ 9:37 AM
Foundry Rat
User since 1/21/10
For the guys thinking of buying box tip-ups if you go on Homemade Ice fishing stuff thread you will find a description on how to make your own very cheap.
2/2/12 @ 8:02 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Thanks for the info!
2/2/12 @ 7:39 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Lighter fluid doesn't matter for the charcoal. They don't smoke at all. There is enough air that gets through to keep them going, you don't want them air tight or the charcoal will burn out. The best reason to not use matchlight charcoal is that it burns faster than regular charcoal and you will be replacing it more often.
2/2/12 @ 7:28 AM
Fish plunger
User since 3/22/11
Not vented, but if your concerned, the scent free candle works real well 95% of the time. I really don't notice alot of smoke if you use regular charcoal without lighter fluid. I light mine with a torch. Its not like cooking where the grease makes smoke. I would not use the match lite charcoal as it is soaked in fluid. Hope this answers your question. To the person who posted about losing the tip ups in the wind and snow the boxes are a benefit for that as well as avoiding snowmobiles running over your tip ups.
2/1/12 @ 12:42 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Are these vented at all to allow the smoke to escape? Thanks!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 68 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE