Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

home made slammer/automatic tip-up

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

fishwerin
fishwerin
Level: General User
1/20/09 8:04 PM CST
OK- I already have several ideas and plan on posting what I accomplish. I searched the net over and found many ideas for slammer and automatic tip-up rigs. I was kinda wondering if anyone on lake link has any homemade tip-ups and suggestions/pics for ideas. I am basically hoping to start a good topic because i have discussed this idea many times with friends. So my fellow lake-link friends lets see and hear your creations, ideas and even mistakes.

look back this weekend I will have pics up of my hopefully good designs.

Big Smile

[This post was last edited on 1/20/09 at 9:50 PM]
Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 28
ozob
See Profile
1/31/10 4:30 PM CST
has anyone seen these for sale in S.E. Wisconsin? A buddy was looking, for some and I thought there would possibly be someone that knew something here. He may want to build them as well so I thought I'd bring this one to the top rather than start a new thread. Thanks in advance OZOB.

slabasaurus
slabasaurus
2/2/09 4:15 PM CST
fishwerin. I wouldn't call catching one fish and missing two more working flawlessly. that's only shooting 33%. Oh well, perfecting it is half the fun.

auto fish guy
auto fish guy
2/2/09 3:40 PM CST
that looks like it will do the job. I hope you get the satisfaction of catching a bunch of fish on what you made. I know the feeling I am one of the people that made those Automatic fisherman units. The coolest thing is going out on the ice and walking up to someone and asking them how is that red thing working for you, and they either say good I'm happy with it or hey I have a few questions with how it works. I tell them I am one of the people behind the product and I'll help you with any questions you have? Good luck with the home made units.

fishwerin
fishwerin
2/2/09 9:16 AM CST
Back to the real reason why i started this thread. i went out yesterday afternoon and finally got a 15"walleye on my rig. It worked flawlessly!! It was the second out using them and my first fish. I had two false strikes latter in the day. probably pike. But dont care I was happy to see my invention work. Good luck to all and knock off the arguing. just fish!!!!

dragonflag
dragonflag
Level: MEMBER
1/31/09 10:16 PM CST
Slamerman. It seems you have dodged one issue, I'll quote myself. "can you hold a large sucker minnow without a false flag / false slam from minnow movement?" My system will anchor a spearing decoy. no tail trimming necessary. or fish sunfish. or pick a variety of release settings in between. I don't rely on all the gaudy hardware of quickstrike rigs, and the fish spools out line without so much resistance as a bobber. All this as a result of time and tinkering. . do the slip-bobber thing between the line guides and cut the kid some slack. Skoll paviskin.

fishwerin
fishwerin
1/22/09 9:23 PM CST
i will be using my new tip ups on lake koshkonong tomorrow night for crappie and walleye. hopefully I have a good night and they work well.

fishwerin
fishwerin
1/21/09 9:13 PM CST
ok, these ones i do hae set up for panfish. im able to set some slack in hopes the fish ill take, run then when the slack runs out it will set. it shouldnt set to hard, but ill find out this weekend.

as far as going for larger fish. i am going to use a large slip bobber on my line between the eyes closer to the reel. i think if i use a big enough one it will ofset any shiner movement. when a large predator fish runs no matter what it will set. its just getting the slack set. i will have to tinker. if I make any discoveries i will post what I find

dragonflag
dragonflag
Level: MEMBER
1/21/09 9:02 PM CST
Looks interesting, I'll give you that. The but end of the rod is'nt very deep in the pvc, It don't fly out from recoil? you said your going to target pan-fish, can you set the release that light? or will the sunfish / crappie hook its self when it bites and then set off the rod? Can you hold a large sucker minnow without a false flag / false slam from minnow movement?. and is there some way, as mentioned below, to give northern / walleye some measure of slack before it go's off? It's been my experience that larger minnows get hit forward (head) and then gets positioned to swallow. Way to tinker, good luck and let me know how ya did.

fishwerin
fishwerin
1/21/09 8:27 PM CST
one other thing i just added to my rig was a paper clip connected to the catch with a key ring connected to it. it helps secure larger eyed rods and actually releases very nice

fishwerin
fishwerin
1/21/09 8:11 PM CST
I am really excited to test it out

fishwerin
fishwerin
1/21/09 8:08 PM CST
this is a pic of the catch. the picture hook where I hook the eyelet

fishwerin
fishwerin
1/21/09 8:03 PM CST
OK here are the pics. i will load multiple angles

fishwerin
fishwerin
1/21/09 7:02 PM CST
waterboy thats a great pic. I might make one of those tomorrow. Thanks alot!! as soon as i can get my pics to load of the ones i made today i will post them. They are sweet!

studentoffish
studentoffish
1/21/09 5:43 PM CST
I have a rig that cost 6 bucks, it is really simple. Use your own rod and rod holder. I just shove a pipe into a pile of slush and viola a rod holder. I also made a copy of the original out of coat hanger wire and it works just as good as the original. These are really similar to the automatic fisherman but with a smaller price tag and less space taken up in your bucket. They seem to work good, but admittedly I haven't caught a fish on them yet. Only used them once for Browns in Manitowoc and they weren't biting.

People swear by them and other similar rigs for trout because they bite really light and drop hooks on conventional tip-up rigs. I am going to try them in the Bay for Whitefish tomorrow...another light biting fish. Will post results.

Here's the link, if interested I can post a pic of my homemade one and you can make your own.

http://www.crazyfisherman.com/fishamatic.html

I would much rather land a fish on a rod and reel than a tip-up.

fishwerin
fishwerin
1/21/09 3:29 PM CST
ok here we go. I am done!!! i built two and feel very confident in there design. I will be targeting gills and crappie with this set-up this weekend and im very excited to see how they work. I will post a few pics tonight hopefully. my camera is acting up.

IT was an easy build. i used 3/4 electrical pvc (its what i had laying around) 4- 90's 1- picture hook (looks like a row of teeth) 2- small screws

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 28
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook