home made slammer/automatic tip-up

1/20/09 @ 8:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishwerin
fishwerin
USER since 12/20/07
OK- I already have several ideas and plan on posting what I accomplish. I searched the net over and found many ideas for slammer and automatic tip-up rigs. I was kinda wondering if anyone on lake link has any homemade tip-ups and suggestions/pics for ideas. I am basically hoping to start a good topic because i have discussed this idea many times with friends. So my fellow lake-link friends lets see and hear your creations, ideas and even mistakes. look back this weekend I will have pics up of my hopefully good designs. Big Smile
Edited on 1/20/09 9:50 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts
1/31/10 @ 4:30 PM
ozob
ozob
USER since 2/4/04
has anyone seen these for sale in S.E. Wisconsin? A buddy was looking, for some and I thought there would possibly be someone that knew something here. He may want to build them as well so I thought I'd bring this one to the top rather than start a new thread. Thanks in advance OZOB.

Post Your Comment
2/2/09 @ 4:17 PM
slabasaurus
slabasaurus
USER since 4/26/03
fishwerin. I wouldn't call catching one fish and missing two more working flawlessly. that's only shooting 33%. Oh well, perfecting it is half the fun.

Post Your Comment
2/2/09 @ 3:42 PM
auto fish guy
auto fish guy
USER since 2/17/08
that looks like it will do the job. I hope you get the satisfaction of catching a bunch of fish on what you made. I know the feeling I am one of the people that made those Automatic fisherman units. The coolest thing is going out on the ice and walking up to someone and asking them how is that red thing working for you, and they either say good I'm happy with it or hey I have a few questions with how it works. I tell them I am one of the people behind the product and I'll help you with any questions you have? Good luck with the home made units.

Post Your Comment
2/2/09 @ 9:18 AM
fishwerin
fishwerin
USER since 12/20/07
Back to the real reason why i started this thread. i went out yesterday afternoon and finally got a 15"walleye on my rig. It worked flawlessly!! It was the second out using them and my first fish. I had two false strikes latter in the day. probably pike. But dont care I was happy to see my invention work. Good luck to all and knock off the arguing. just fish!!!!

Post Your Comment
1/31/09 @ 10:19 PM
dragonflag
dragonflag
MEMBER since 11/27/08
Slamerman. It seems you have dodged one issue, I'll quote myself. "can you hold a large sucker minnow without a false flag / false slam from minnow movement?" My system will anchor a spearing decoy. no tail trimming necessary. or fish sunfish. or pick a variety of release settings in between. I don't rely on all the gaudy hardware of quickstrike rigs, and the fish spools out line without so much resistance as a bobber. All this as a result of time and tinkering. . do the slip-bobber thing between the line guides and cut the kid some slack. Skoll paviskin.

Post Your Comment
1/22/09 @ 9:26 PM
fishwerin
fishwerin
USER since 12/20/07
i will be using my new tip ups on lake koshkonong tomorrow night for crappie and walleye. hopefully I have a good night and they work well.

Post Your Comment
1/21/09 @ 9:16 PM
fishwerin
fishwerin
USER since 12/20/07
ok, these ones i do hae set up for panfish. im able to set some slack in hopes the fish ill take, run then when the slack runs out it will set. it shouldnt set to hard, but ill find out this weekend.

as far as going for larger fish. i am going to use a large slip bobber on my line between the eyes closer to the reel. i think if i use a big enough one it will ofset any shiner movement. when a large predator fish runs no matter what it will set. its just getting the slack set. i will have to tinker. if I make any discoveries i will post what I find

Post Your Comment
1/21/09 @ 9:04 PM
dragonflag
dragonflag
MEMBER since 11/27/08
Looks interesting, I'll give you that. The but end of the rod is'nt very deep in the pvc, It don't fly out from recoil? you said your going to target pan-fish, can you set the release that light? or will the sunfish / crappie hook its self when it bites and then set off the rod? Can you hold a large sucker minnow without a false flag / false slam from minnow movement?. and is there some way, as mentioned below, to give northern / walleye some measure of slack before it go's off? It's been my experience that larger minnows get hit forward (head) and then gets positioned to swallow. Way to tinker, good luck and let me know how ya did.

Post Your Comment
1/21/09 @ 8:29 PM
fishwerin
fishwerin
USER since 12/20/07
one other thing i just added to my rig was a paper clip connected to the catch with a key ring connected to it. it helps secure larger eyed rods and actually releases very nice

Post Your Comment
1/21/09 @ 8:13 PM
fishwerin
fishwerin
USER since 12/20/07
I am really excited to test it out

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts