LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Sheboygan Harbor Kings....Where Are You?

9/1/15 @ 5:25 PM
INITIAL POST
swamphunter
swamphunter
User since 2/12/02
Seeing direct results this year of stocking cuts. Harbor area fishing sucks, and when more lake trout are being caught than kings...you know its bad. Some guys are blaming cold water, but I don't buy it. When its time to run up river these kings go no matter what conditions. What are some other ports expierencing? So much for being a top king port. Boooo Time to prepare for bow season. Next year may be REALLY interesting. Sad
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
10/15/15 @ 10:49 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/02
Not in any numbers. See a few still being caught but they are gray brown and nasty looking. Maybe good for eggs, but with the lack of stocking .... best to just let them drop and hope for natural reproduction.
10/10/15 @ 2:07 PM
Chemist
Chemist
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/01
Did they ever come in?
9/24/15 @ 10:32 AM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
I have a buddy who catches 10# wally slobs down in Milwaukee. Wouldn't eat them though..............nor any other fish out of there. Puke Puke Puke
9/24/15 @ 9:54 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
There has been millions of Walleye stocked in the Milwaukee River over the years, no doubt there are some to be caught.
9/23/15 @ 11:09 PM
TigerMiller13
TigerMiller13
User since 7/23/13
Swamp I fish both Kewaunee and Sheboygan piers and I caught 1 Laker in Sheboygan so far and nothing in Kewaunee. Had a big king on in Kewaunee about 4 weeks ago but line gave out right when I got him up to the pier. Other than that i've had several bites on both Alewives and Spawn sacks but just couldn't hook em. Hope this helps you out brother. God bless and good fishing.
9/23/15 @ 7:58 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
T...........what an idiotic statement. Walker derangement syndrom ring a bell? The DNR reduced stocking to try and head off the collapse that Lake huron suffered. The collapse was the result of the predator - prey imbalance. Anyone that spends any time on the water will tell you that the alewife population has been steadily declining. In order to allow the alewife population to rebound they have reduced stocking. As a sportsman, I have no problem with this strategy. Plenty of other species to fish for in our Great State.
9/11/15 @ 5:48 PM
T.
T.
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/04
If you voted for Walker and Cathy Stepp ,You own it!!!!Enjoy! Crying
9/7/15 @ 8:23 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
You're correct on the Lake Trout not fighting, heck they're even worse than a walleye.
9/7/15 @ 11:14 AM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Do walleye live in 300' of water? Why would we give up the trout and salmon for walleyes that fight like a wet towel?
9/7/15 @ 6:43 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02
Pike, There is a huge population of walleye in the bay of green bay that at times is as productive as Lake Erie. If LM was a good place for them they would swim there. LM is too cold. Similar to not finding walleye in the very northern Canada lakes that hold northerns and LT.
9/6/15 @ 2:42 PM
Chemist
Chemist
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/01
Are the Michigan side ports producing better than here? I actually think that going 60 miles to the other side is not that big of a deal for the salmon. They go hundreds of miles up rivers out West. Additionally a 3 pound walleye can go 95 miles from Winnebago to the Wolf river. I wish they would stock a bunch of Cohos on the Wisconsin side. They are great eating and if the Kings are reproducing on the other side of the lake, great. The Coho would also put less pressure on the alewifes. Going to college in Ashland in the 80s I remember when the coho naturalized on the streams up there. They are a great fish and fun to catch and great to eat.
9/3/15 @ 9:16 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
Not all the "natural" Kings that are around here in summer will go 60 miles back across the lake, there is a decent amount still being caught on this side and they aren't going to swim all the way across anymore. At least 50% or more of the fish at the Kohler dam last year were "naturals", that being said the run was way down from past years as well. I think cold water slows metabolism thus slowing the maturation of eggs. I've caught them in the "zombie" stage in the rivers already at this point years past, when the eggs are mature they will come, regardless of temperature or day light.
9/2/15 @ 7:09 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
It's been happening for years now. More natural reproduction in lower Michigan rivers means that those fish are going back to their home rivers to spawn which means less of them coming to our side of the lake. I don't think the cold water has anything to do with it. They come in regardless of water temp, more based on light in the day than water temp.
9/1/15 @ 6:36 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
I also fish Sheboygan and while I agree we are seeing a drastic change in the lake with reduced King stocking I don't believe myself or any of the other captains or anglers I know that fish the port regularly have caught a King fully matured and ready to head up river. I believe the cold water may have slowed the maturation process delaying their push into the harbor and up river.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE