MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

19 strand wire instead of Lead core

11/12/14 @ 12:53 PM
INITIAL POST
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
So the other night I found a few salmon seminars on YouTube and learned a ton of S€~*. Fuzzy , Phonex Charters , and Matthew from Torpido diver , really good stuff . One great thing about salmon fishing Is the fact that the number of combinations of presentations and methods are countless and the differnt ways to apply them . One method that Matthww from Torpido had brought up is useing there 19 straind wire for depth control instead of useing leadcore . When I heard this my mind was raceing threw multiple positive and negatives associated with using it . Some of the questions I had he answered on the video but some were not . 1) if letting out the equivalent of say 2-3 color how do you clip on your board when you have 500ft for wire spooled up . ( his answer ) "clip it on the wire with no problems" 2) twilly tip or roller tip necciery ( his answer )" with 19 straind no special tip is required he has had rods with 19 on it for 3 + yrs and no fatigue was noticed . What wasn't answered was can you run paddles / flasher fly Rigs off of it with a decent swivel and not worry about a line twist disaster . Has any one switched to this method or positive negitives with it .
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
11/14/14 @ 5:23 PM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
I'm with Jason on this one. There was something else going on during your experiment. Just a month ago we were trolling due north in 15-20 fow. Same set up on BOTH sides of the boat - 3 color (inside) and 2 color (outside). Trolling due north, our star-side 3-color was hanging up. (in theory, deeper water...although it was pretty darn close to exact depth on both sides of the boat). What was happening? A northeast current was impacting the star side boards, allowing them to drop. Meanwhile, the port side boards were being pushed out to the left, running faster, lifting up. Something else was going on in your experiment. Lastly, fish hawk makes a product (FishHawkTD) that actually gauges your depth and temp of your divers, coppers, cores, etc. I personally have not tried it. But, I've been told by others that it works. A buddy that fishes in Racine provides evidence that you'll see that depths vary by 4-6' per additional color, and you'll also note the temperature difference. If you're looking for easier/different ways to get deep, wire would not be my choice Smile
11/14/14 @ 1:20 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01
WAIT WAIT WAIT. 10 color hangs up at 48' 7 color will hang up in 39. In order to truly test this theory the baits(same size and manufacturer would have had to been used. More core=deeper period. Current and other factors including which side of the boat you are running it on will also skew your findings. Not saying you didn't see that happen, but there was other factors involved there. There is no substitute for core or copper. I can tell you that I like the new micro lead. 19 strand will not get depth without weight especially if you try to run a paddle of some sort on it. The big thing you have to remember is why reinvent the wheel if what you run works. Become proficient with what you run first. Pretty much everyone in Milwaukee runs core or copper, so you have info to compare to. all this stuff achieves the same thing....stealthier presentation. Don't care how ya get it down there as long as its down there and clipped to the board and away from the boat. Every port on the lake has their presentations and on any given day one could be better than the other, but unless you are out a lot then you wont figyre that out on a day to day basis. In Port Washington and Sheboygan they run a lot of "pounder" or clip on type weights such as the torpedo, Milwaukee and south its a lot of core and copper with pretty similar daily results unless the fish are super deep and unreachable with a standard copper rig. There is no "MAJIC" rig, its about running whatever you are running correctly and in the bite zone, and also being dialed in with all the other variables involved. Just my 2 cents, but have seen this play out for many years. Good luck!
11/13/14 @ 3:40 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
Your right there is always some one trying to sell you something that's going to change the fishing world as we know it . But I don't think this is the banjo minnow and I'm going to give it a try on at least two rods for next season . I could use a couple more wire rods for dipsys anyways .
11/13/14 @ 1:54 PM
eyecatcher84
User since 3/19/08
BIgMusky- I know it seems crazy, but its true. Your full core really isnt running much deeper than your 7 color is. Maybe a few feet, but not much. Now, I completely agree that my full core outproduces my 7 color a lot of the time, but IMO, its the extra 90ft behind the boat that does it. The reason I'm fairly confident in this is that I used those exact segments a lot while experimenting. When cruising in shallow, if the full core caught bottom, the 7 color was only moments behind...... My experimentation was by no means "scientific" but really seemed to coincide with everything I read about leadcore and the depths it actually achieves. Boscrowe- According to the article, torpedo wire would have that advantage of being able to have the board clipped anywhere on it. BUT, remember, that's the owner of Torpedo wire who's claiming that..... Also, lots of guys claim no issues with doing the same with leadcore or copper, but you wont see me trying it. Good stuff guys, makes me think back to warm summer days and screaming drags, and gets it off this unreasonable early start to winter.....
11/13/14 @ 1:42 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
Lets say in a perfect world the 19 dosnet get the typical coils that 7 straind does and it sinks like people are saying it does then the advantage over copper would be that you can clip your board to it at any distance let out .
11/13/14 @ 10:15 AM
eyecatcher84
User since 3/19/08
I saw the same video months ago and read a bit about it in LMA, I think. I agree that it sounds like a cluster @#$%# waiting to happen, but in theory, I get how it could work. THe wire has weight to it and the diameter is so thin, that it should achieve some depth without any weight being added to it. Whether it would curl and pigtail without a steady pull on it would be my main concern... On another note, I think the main point they were trying to convey is that wire could replace leadcore as "surface" presentations because leadcore doesn't get ANYWHERE near as deep as we have thought for years. Basically, no matter how much lead you put out, your never gonna get much deeper than 35'ish. The diameter to weight ratio just wont allow it. At first, I found this unbelievable, so I set out to do some testing on my own. I fish shallow a lot, so basically all I did was push shallow and shallower while out there to see where Id hang up. Sure enough, I never hung up in anything deeper than 40' even with a full core. (Assuming you keep a really straight heading and not much current around.) I most definitely will not be trying wire instead of lead for my surface lines. Lead has caught me way too many fish to give up on it, and Ive got too much money invested in it. What I have done is switch to copper for anything Im hoping to get deeper than 40ft, and that has absolutely made a difference. But that's a whole different discussion.
11/12/14 @ 8:47 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
That's why I need some more light shed on the subject sounds like a accident waiting to happen but if you watch the video he's quoted as saying that due to its wieght and diameter it has the same sink rate as lead core. http://youtu.be/bAIezp1c6Ec No extra weight needed !
11/12/14 @ 3:40 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Sounds like a cluster F waiting to happen! I can see if you're using a torpedo or lead weight but if you're not using something heavy and slack gets in the wire you will have a mess like never seen before!
11/12/14 @ 3:06 PM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
How does 19 strand (or wire for that matter) get you any depth? Are you talking about putting a torpedo underneath a diver? (similar to what's been seen in Great Lakes Angler?) I don't get it.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE