SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

COYWOLF????

11/10/10 @ 5:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
As I walked up to one of my sets this morning. A head popped up. I said good morning Mr. Coyote. Did a double take, and said WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU!!!!!

My best guess is a coywolf. To state the obvious a cross of a yote and wolf. No way was it a wolf pup as they are much bigger this time of year. Nearing full grown. Yet there is no way in my mind this is a coyote either!! That is my size 11 boot next to it's back leg. That is a lot of leg for a young coyote. Also look at the size of them ears. They are longer than the muzzle. I really don't know for sure. I do know that I have seen hundreds of coyotes from pups to monster adults. This did not look like a pure coyote to me!

The world may never know the truth. Since the only evidence of it possibly existing is this picture. Even then this may be a internet hoax . Wink Wink Wink

Displaying 16 to 30 of 36 posts
11/12/10 @ 7:56 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
I'm I the only one that thinks it's just a mangy coyote? Blush

11/12/10 @ 5:41 AM
buckbrush
User since 1/1/02
There is such thing as a timber wolf, as well as a gray wolf, they are the same thing, just different knick names

I think you need to re-read my post - they're not the same animal.

11/11/10 @ 10:30 PM
backwoods43
backwoods43
User since 3/14/10
Buckbrush - you are absolutely right, the gray/timber wolf comes from the latin word, canis lupis, the red wolf is canis rufis ktowne - There is such thing as a timber wolf, as well as a gray wolf, they are the same thing, just different knick names

11/11/10 @ 6:08 PM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
The crossing of these canines is a scary thing. A coywolf seems to be more agressive and a bit smarter. Like they got the best of them both . Would also explain the size of some of these coyotes around here. We see many that are over 40lbs. Some are even bigger yet.

11/11/10 @ 3:38 PM
buckbrush
User since 1/1/02
no such thing as a timber; they are a gray wolf nickname in some places

Not true - Canis lycaon is the Eastern Timber Wolf, found in relatively pure strains in eastern Canada, most notably the area around Algonquin Nat'l Park. As one moves west into the Great Lakes area there is significant hybridization with Canis lupus, commonly known as the Gray Wolf. As you move further west in Canada and the Northern Rocky Mountains the Canis lupus strain becomes more pure.

In the Great Lakes region it's common to find pure lupus and lycaon haplotypes in the same pack, as well as hybrids of the two.

11/11/10 @ 1:05 PM
SFC S
User since 1/24/06
arent timber and gray the same thing?

11/11/10 @ 10:22 AM
PerchCrazy
User since 2/6/07
It is definitely a cross of some sort with the mange. In the last few years I have seen quite a few coyote/wolves?? Just yesterday on the way to work I saw one that was a little too large for a coyote, but too small for a wolf. From what I have been told, It is a known fact that a lot of the wolves in wisconsin are not pure bred grey or timberwolves, but high breds of two or three species, timber/gray/coyote. The only thing that baffles me is, as territorial as wolves are, and as much as they hate yotes, how the heck have they bred? I sapose it's like a night out drinkin, a lot of fellows will take what they can get Tounge Out PC

11/11/10 @ 9:52 AM
SFC S
User since 1/24/06
first thing I thought of was wolf pup when I looked at the pic. dark tail tip is funny. as is the time of year. Maybe a wolf dog hybrid, from domestic stock? Some horrible runt that barely survived mange and didnt grow? Didnt remind me much of a coyote.

11/11/10 @ 8:57 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
The mange, I've seen coyotes and a wolf eating some road kill with it. That looks like a coyote with mange. When we bagged a coyote with it we toss it.

11/10/10 @ 10:49 PM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
I should have taken a pic of it holding it up. It looks a bit smaller in that pic. The legs were just very long. Holding it up it strected to the top of my chest, and I stand 6ft. In relation took a real nice grey fox yesterday and it stretched just over waist high.

It was very young for sure. Teeth were very clean and fully there. No wear marks or anything. The pic does not doe hide jsutice either. Except on top it was very woolly. Longer hairs on top. Maybe recovering from mange or had not gotten all the winter fur yet?

Not really sure. I know it was not a pure coyote, wolf, or fox. A hybrid of some sorts. Dog I doubt though. This is the northwoods. Wild dogs, and house dogs don't last long outside.

Your right though BB. it could happen easily. There are extensive studies on it in other states. PA, and NY have a lot of them.

11/10/10 @ 9:53 PM
sassy 1
User since 8/25/09
looks like a rocky boot maybe size 11 Cool

11/10/10 @ 9:03 PM
had.enough
User since 8/1/10
Hey! You shot my dog

11/10/10 @ 6:56 PM
buckbrush
User since 1/1/02
I've handled a fair share of adult wolves and pups - you're right, the pups are close to adult size by now. On the other hand, the latest taxonomic studies of Great Lakes wolves showed very little evidence of coyote DNA. So hybridization in this region is very rare - but not impossible.

Anyway, I don't know what you've got there. It doesn't look like a wolf OR coyote pup to me, either.

11/10/10 @ 6:14 PM
Horble
User since 4/11/08
Very interesting. Could it be an Alpha male getting a little yote nooky on the side (while Ms. Alpha is tending the pups), or a very ambitious male coyote who likes big girls? May be worth dropping off a blood/tissue sample at the local DNR office for some DNA analysis.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 36 posts

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE