MORE
General Hunting Discussion

The Hunt Isn’t always About A Kill

1/20/14 @ 7:09 AM
INITIAL POST
Bret Clark
Bret Clark
User since 10/12/12
Saturday January 18, 2014 a fluffy light pure snow was falling from the sky. With winter being my favorite season this was the kind of snow I can’t resist to play in. There was the need to get out and in the woods to enjoy the pristine beauty that can only be created under these winter conditions. Cold air, a thick cloud cover and, a light wind make for some awesome scenery while monster size snowflakes dance their way to the ground. The camera was loaded into the back pack and the next step was to make a choice of what gun should be taken on the walk. It was the Belgium Browning, the old hump backed 16ga. This gun has a special place in my heart. As a kid I can remember cleaning this beautiful piece for my Dad every now and then, along with the rest of the firearms in the cabinet but, it was this gun that was sportin’ the most beautiful piece of wood and iron in my eyes, and the German markings always intrigued me. This specimen of art was always given special treatment. With everything loaded into the truck the wheels were spinning their way to a piece of the La Crosse river bottoms. The area is full of thick briers and brush piles that hold rabbits. The game plan was to go stompin’ around the area in hopes of getting a shot at a bunny busting out retreating from me, the predator. This kind of hunt always brings the kid out in me. Would a guy be more successful with a dog? Of course, but not owning any hounds reverting back to childhood tactics was the only thing to do. Plus this hunt wasn’t just about a kill, it was much more. Putting the truck in 4 wheel drive was a must to reach the parking area. With a bumper pushing snow it was a good feeling knowing that this track of land hasn’t seen human foot traffic for some time now. It gives a guy the feeling of being off the beaten path. Reaching the destination the back pack was strapped on and the sweet 16 was in hand as a short walk through the woods soon had me to the place I like to drop down off the ridge and into the bottoms. Before stepping off the ridge there was the need to take a little time to let this picture etch a lasting memory in the brain through the eyes. A slight fog rose from the unfrozen water. The trees took on the flocked look as the snow piled on. The whirling wind blew the powdery snow from the tree tops making for a wonderful winter wonderland. Standing above and looking down at the scene was gorgeous in my eyes. After a quick snap shot (which does the scene no justice) I started to descend into the bottoms. Keeping mental notes of well traveled deer trails and easy river crossings (which are always changing) were placed in the back of my mind for future needs. While hiking through the bottoms the only rewards, besides the beautiful landscape itself, was flushing a few pairs of mallards. Their alert call filled the air as they busted from the pools of water. This was pretty much the only sound heard in the deadening silence of the new snow. Zigzagging through a river bottom can be challenging. In weather as this a guy really does not want to get wet feet, and there is never an open trail. You really have to love winter to push on to see what lies around the next corner. When crossing a narrow, you never know how far it is to the next area that will let you get back to the side you started on. If nothing else I have learned the river bottoms are always changing. There is no guarantee that what was there one day is there the next. Without seeing anything for bunny signs it was time to make my way back to the top of the ridge and check out a few areas that held a lot of good cover for the furry rascals. Stopping now and then to rest my legs from busting through the deep snow I’d reflect on the past while enjoying the fresh smells in the air that only winter can bring. Holding the 16ga I remember times when Dad would come home with a pile of ducks or furry critters himself. I also reminisced on the first time he let me take the gun from its resting spot to hunt squirrels. I felt blessed to be the one still hunting with the firearm on this day that held so many stories. Once back on the ridge I began to enter into pines. The snow was letting up at this point but the evidence of the new accumulation was noticeable. Small pines laden with snow bent downwards towards the forest floor. And the burning starting in my legs from trail busting made it evident we had a good amount of the white stuff added to this years collection in the woods. Even the animals were hunkered down. A doe with two little ones was spotted in the distance and a few roosting turkeys fled the tree tops after being startled from the intruder below. Other than that, l never cut a fresh rabbit trial during this walk which was a good 3 mile loop making for a ball busting workout. Never once was there a feeling of disappointment. For the whole time it felt like Dad was right there with me enjoying the sights and sounds this beautiful winter day had to offer, even though he now lives in the warm climates of Florida. Yep, that 16 gage has more value than any amount of dollars could bring, and It always brings a certain joy to a hunt that even a kill could not replace.
The Hunt Isn’t always About A Kill photo by Bret Clark
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
4/18/14 @ 8:11 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
I haven't killed a deer in 4 years I have had my chances bow hunting but every time I have a mature doe seems to have a little one with it so I let it go. I have one doe I nicknamed tubby she has produced 10 deer in 4 year. 4 bucks 6 does. I let her go rifle season. my dad shoots a lot of deer I am waiting for my first buck I am 34 been hunting since I could shot a huge 13 pointer my second year and someone took it on public land. I waited for my dad to come help me recover it and when we got there all there was. was a steaming gut pile. one of these years it will happen. Hunting public land can be tough for sure. Having someone take that deer really ruined it for me I almost quit hunting. at least I got to see it the out of staters who own the cabin on the edge of the public land took it. well they invited us in and low and behold they had the same 13 pointer I shot on the wall shot the same year go figure. oh well guess that's the price you pay for hunting public.
4/15/14 @ 11:38 PM
OUTDOORCRITTER
OUTDOORCRITTER
User since 2/5/12
Thank you for the post. Awesome, well put. OUTDOORCRITTER
4/14/14 @ 11:59 AM
duxup
User since 8/5/05
Great post......The hunt should never be about the kill. It just happens to be a necessary part of the hunting process, when the opportunity arises. Duxup
4/14/14 @ 11:41 AM
870man
User since 2/13/02
really enjoyed your post. My Dad and brother had the ol "sweet 16" also and used it for ducks and geese. Unfortunely, it had to be retired with the evolution of steel shot and was traded in for a more up to date firearm. I wish it was kept in the family. At the age of 11, my father let me shoot his baby and it almost knocked me on my can. As I remember my father, I purchased the new Browning A5..Granted, its not the worn Belgium Sweet 16, but it brings back so many memories of my Dad knocking down ducks and geese...1 1/4 #6's.......
1/20/14 @ 8:14 PM
Yoter
User since 5/31/09
Reminds me of my dad and his sweet 16. And it remains with are family as a keepsake, and once in awhile it will be taken on a hunt. Smile
1/20/14 @ 6:08 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Beautiful post.
1/20/14 @ 12:17 PM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01
Nice post, Almost a little 7th Heaven like but didn't cross the "nutjob" line...... Wink
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE