SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Portable Battery Pack

6/7/14 @ 8:50 PM
INITIAL POST
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01
Going on Canadian fly-in, very remote no way to charge batteries, taking a small Hummingbird locator. It says it needs 12 volt battery to operate, I tried a 6 volt, there right. So need help, does anyone know if I can rig two 6 volt in series an operate the locator ? Any other good ideas....... Thanks in advance.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
5/21/20 @ 2:08 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Take a couple of Vexilar style batteries.  Turn down light brightness to conserve power.

5/14/20 @ 6:50 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

If you are going to remote camp without power, take (two) 12 volt 7 amp vexilar type ice fishing batteries.  I take two to camp.  Each runs my humminbird 788 gps for about 3 to 4 days.  Chargers for these batteries are easily available.  They last for years.  The batteries recharge in the milliamp output, I would not use 3 amp charger.

5/13/20 @ 7:26 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

My Canadian Outpost adventure

I bought one of those cheap two cycle generator to charge all the batteries

Note we were using electric trolling motors

I can't believe it how many other electrical uses I've used it since

It's just the size of a milk crate

5/11/20 @ 5:01 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

I thought the same thing about the screen size but not a lot out there

5/10/20 @ 9:21 PM
Qual Fisher
User since 4/28/19

You may want to consider a solar recharging system.

5/10/20 @ 8:05 PM
gater
User since 11/25/07

Farm and fleet has the charger for the vexilar battery. 

5/10/20 @ 5:44 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Nemb, you can find a charger on Amazon, how do you like that striker, my portable died las year and was looking at that unit.

6/12/14 @ 5:27 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
if you have a ice fishing sonar use that or borrow someones i use my marcum all year long
6/9/14 @ 1:50 PM
wini
User since 3/27/06
I too go to Canada and use a portable locator. I researched this area and talked to engineers at the all the companies. Assuming you have a small black and white locator, your battery will probably last close to a week. Color or larger locators use much more power. I just got back from Canada and I charged my Garmin 200 mid-way during the week to be sure. It may have lasted the week, but I wanted to be careful. Be sure to turn off whenever you can. You may wish to consider a locator that runs on D or triple A batteries. Guys I fish with use such units and carry extra batteries. If weight isn't an issue you can take an extra battery along for your locator . Also, if you go on internet, you can buy longer lasting 12v batteries. I did.
6/9/14 @ 1:00 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01
Thanks gentlemen, I believe you have me headed in the right direction.
6/8/14 @ 7:26 PM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10
A rechargeable 12V battery like the one posted is your best bet. They are available from a variety of places in many different sizes. Much easier to use and set up. And, one of those will easily last the entire week without needing to be recharged providing you shut the depth finder off when you don't need it.
6/8/14 @ 7:24 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09
i have a small locator on my kayak, and to save weight and space i got a device that holds 8 AA batteries. same power, less bulk, and if you are unable to do rechargeables, it is easy enough to carry a couple extra packs of AAs.
6/8/14 @ 7:28 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
most portable/ice locators use 12v, 7ah batteries, but you can certainly wire 2 6v lantern batteries in series to get your 12v source easy to remember for series, to connect to device, use pos(+) terminal of 1 battery, and the neg(-) terminal of the other battery... to complete the circuit , use a jumper to connect the remaining pos and neg terminals http://www.atbatt.com/rv-battery/how-to-wire-6v-batteries-in-series-or-parallel-configuration example of 12v 7ah battery use by portable finders http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Rechargeable-12-Volt-Battery
6/7/14 @ 9:44 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05
yes you can do that, but you don't gain any amps, you will gain the 12 V tho. Not sure it would be worth the hassle, meaning on the longevity of the batteries. try googling "wiring two 6 V. lantern batteries in a series to make 12 V." (not trying to be a smart ass, but the answers I saw are too long for me to remember to type here) and I don't know how to share the link, sorry.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE