Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Skunk spray'd dog

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

dragonflag
dragonflag
Level: MEMBER
7/19/11 2:44 PM CST
Any other ways to de-skunk a dog? I heard of tomato juice. and time

Saroon
Saroon
Level: General User
1/6/12 6:58 PM CST
My dog got sprayed by a skunk last night. My wife and I found the Peroxide-baking soda-dish soap recipe online and it worked very well. Less than 24 hrs later and he is back in the house and stink free.

venom
venom
11/11/11 6:46 PM CST
Hydrogen peroxide and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Mix in warm water and do it a couple of times......

I second this one after my hound tryed to eat a skunk.

Got Shnitz?
Got Shnitz?
11/9/11 9:09 PM CST
I bought the "deskunk smell" shampoo made by Remington at Fleet farm, fairly cheap and did the job very well.

cooter1
cooter1
11/9/11 5:49 PM CST
Mint mouth wash will knock it down about 90%.

pork-chop
pork-chop
11/8/11 11:28 AM CST
Hydrogen peroxide and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Mix in warm water and do it a couple of times.

grampa bob
grampa bob
11/8/11 6:22 AM CST
Forget the tomato juice, you just get a red dog. Get the douche and a spray bottle, soak the dog down, this will kill the smell. It will not take it off of their collar. Then use the mixture below. I received that one from Tri Tronix and a DNR warden. If you live in the country or hunt your dogs a lot you might want to keep a supply of douche around. One of my dogs stays away from skunks the other looks for them. Good Luck

slimyfish
slimyfish
11/7/11 10:03 PM CST
I've herd that vinegar douche works. Its a little embarrassing when you go to buy but just tell the cashier not to ask any questions.

griff n
See Profile
11/7/11 8:56 PM CST
Have'nt tryed it, if you have a car wash with a pet wash the de-skunk wash is suppose to work.

fishdaily
See Profile
11/7/11 7:40 PM CST
Thanks!! My dog got sprayed this weekend and he still stinks. Going to the basement for bath number 6!! I hope this works!!

dragonflag
dragonflag
Level: MEMBER
7/20/11 1:00 PM CST
that works good. despite the fast reply's I was working in the tomato juice, let that soak for 4-5 minutes, and shampoo'd with flea /tick. . a fair improvement, but still, skunk is skunk. . Then I looked at reply's (thank you) Had the stuff, so back out in the sweltering heat all over again. and today misty blue's in the A/C with me.

dog_handler
dog_handler
7/19/11 3:04 PM CST
I agree but it has to be dawn dish soap, I have tried 4-5 other brands and nothing works like dawn. Good luck

the_dude
the_dude
7/19/11 2:56 PM CST
I've never had to deal with this issue, but I've heard tomato juice doesn't work.

I stole this from another site, and it had unanimous support. Others did mention it can dry out the dog's skin, so be conscious of that:

1 Qt 3% hydrogen peroxide 1/4 cup baking soda 1 tsp. liquid soap

All you need to do is wet down the dog with a hose, mix the ingredients together in a container, and then slowly pour the mixture over the dog while rubbing it into the fur. After the dog has been bathed in this solution rinse it down with the hose and the dog will be odor free. My dog weighed 90 lbs so I doubled the amounts shown above, but if you have a small to medium size animal, the recipe listed should do just fine.

Although the ingredients are not dangerous, care should obviously be taken to keep the solution out of your dog's eyes, ears and mouth. Also remember that hydrogen peroxide can bleach clothing and hair, however, my dog's fur never changed color or even faded.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook