SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Whitewater lake, Mattice lake outfitters

4/12/15 @ 9:29 PM
INITIAL POST
pikeman14
User since 1/26/12
My group has booked a trip for next year through mlo. I was just fishing for any information about the lake. Thanks
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
4/15/15 @ 4:41 PM
pikeman14
User since 1/26/12
I did find a handmade topo on walleye cent. I thought it was very helpful. Since the lake is 26 miles wide, I do believe a little homework can't hurt. Once I can find a pattern or depth that works I can try to pick and choose my spots. But every spot in canada looks good and lures you in for one cast. I have been in touch with m. Borger a bit. He really does a nice job of documenting a trip. It's better than the lodge websites.
4/15/15 @ 8:33 AM
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
For me, part of the Canadian adventure is "discovering" places to fish and trying to return to "simpler times". It would be nice to know about rock hazards I suppose, but you also aren't ripping around on fly-in lakes with a big outboard. Ogoki is huge also and we did just fine without a lake map. When "exploring" always do it in groups of two boats in case one has a problem.
4/15/15 @ 8:01 AM
Horble
User since 4/11/08
That map is kind of useless. I guess I was referring to the North American Datum topos (Ottawa Mining) and Fugawi. I have them stacked to my ceiling for Ontario, plus digital for Manitoba. And you are correct, they do not have any lake (bottom) topos. District and specific PP topos are available as Don has been helping 'Uncle' Phil Cotton get in and out of the PP for the Wabakimi Project the last ten years. A buddy of mine is doing all of Phil's digital work for the canoe route mapping project, and it is all topo. Or, you can go next door to Mattice to Wildwaters BB and Burt or Brenda will run off copies for you for a small fee.
4/15/15 @ 7:16 AM
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
Map that Mattice will provide http://matticelake.com/assets/newmaps/whitewaterasize.pdf Topos for most northern ON lakes don't exist to the best of my knowledge.
4/14/15 @ 10:25 PM
Horble
User since 4/11/08
Actually, you will need a map. The lake is enormous with many islands, bays and some hazardous areas. I'm sure Mattice will provide those for you, and they will be topos.
4/14/15 @ 9:13 PM
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
You don't need a topo of Whitewater...as long you understand how reefs and points influence Canadian walleyes anyway. Shoot M. Borger a p.m. on W.C. he'll help you out. Don't make it more complicated than it is...
4/14/15 @ 8:59 PM
pikeman14
User since 1/26/12
Thanks guys, I do have A thread going on walleye central, trolling for info. Do you know of any company that sells a topo map of whitewater?
4/14/15 @ 9:00 AM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Check out walleye central under canada eh forums and you should be able to find some info on whitewater.
4/13/15 @ 9:40 PM
Horble
User since 4/11/08
I have not paddled into Whiteclay. My maps say the first falls is around 3.5 km downriver, as the Ogoki flows towards Whiteclay. You would probably have a tough time with a boat... a lot of water goes through there and the current is strong, so running upriver to get out would be hairy. I do remember two tern rookeries on some small bare-rock islands just north of Best island. It was early July, sunny and high noon and we could catch all the walleyes we wanted around those islands.
4/13/15 @ 8:44 PM
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
I haven't fished Whitewater, but have fished Ogoki (2 years), Pringle (3 years) and Vick (1 year) with MLO. Just wanted to tell you that you picked the best outfitter I've ever fished with. Don and Annette Elliot are great people and run a great operation. Have fun and enjoy
4/13/15 @ 5:30 PM
pikeman14
User since 1/26/12
Thanks horble, It's a lot of water to cover/figure out in 7 days. But where there is big water comes bigger fish, we hope. I've heard it's a great fishery with a real chance at a big pike and the outfitter has great reviews. Did you paddle through to white clay lake? I was wondering how far we can travel up the river until we reach a falls/portage stoppage. Thanks again
4/13/15 @ 9:50 AM
Horble
User since 4/11/08
Great walleye and pike lake. Fish the islands primarily on the north end, and at the Ogoki river entry, but fish can be found almost anywhere. Be sure to visit Best Island and Wendell Beckwith's three cabins (a historical site) at the "Center of the Universe". Not familiar with the camps as I have only paddled through it a couple times and camped among the hundreds of islands.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE