SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Northern WI Land Ownership-Practical?

4/4/14 @ 12:37 PM
INITIAL POST
duxup
User since 8/5/05
Hey you northern WI land owners. I'm considering a land purchase in Vilas, currently hunting public. Tired of finding good spots just to have folks walk thru on you. Other than avoiding the goof balls out there, is it practical to own a small piece of woods in the BIG woods? Do you feel there is a min acreage needed to make food plots or attracting deer practical? I'm considering a 40 surrounded by private land. Any input, thoughts, ideas are welcome. Duxup
Displaying 1 to 15 of 35 posts
8/18/14 @ 7:19 AM
lookn
lookn' 4 PnY
User since 7/15/05
Congrats on the land. Your actions will make deer nocturnal. Don't walk all over it and deer will feel safe. Baiting, grouse hunting, dog walking, kids playing, berry picking, would all be considered your actions. I completely agree about creating a sanctuary. As Chris2fur eluded to, his was in the center of the property not a 1/2 as someone else posted. Just give the deer some areas they are not pressured and you should be fine.
8/17/14 @ 9:36 AM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06
I totally agree with the comment that baiting is not what makes deer go nocturnal. We have baited in the northern part of the state for a long time and it works GREAT!! You just have to get off the beaten path where there is not much hunting pressure along really thick cover or along a good thick swamp preferably on the east side of because of the prevailing west wind. Get the does coming in and the bucks will follow.
7/7/14 @ 3:44 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02
Did you follow up with your Forester ? If you are lucky a cut can be set up for after season for maximum spring growth . worked well for us a few years ago
7/7/14 @ 12:32 PM
duxup
User since 8/5/05
Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming. While we will certainly hunt this year, it will mainly be devoted to figuring things out, or attempting to. We need to see how deer move in and around the property naturally, and what the impact of the neighbors that hunt will be. There will be a learning curve for a couple seasons. We want to put in a plot or two, but that won't be till next year at the earliest. Did put out trail cams this last weekend. Can't wait to see what we get. Duxup
7/7/14 @ 11:05 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Congrats. Don't let the antibaiters talk you out of buying land. The reason deer go nocturnal are for 3 reasons. One is the increase of people entering the woods scouting and/or baiting and not the act of baiting itself. Try walking into your food plot at dusk every day and see how many deer will come in during daylight. Two, deer (especially bucks) turn more nocturnal during the breeding period and after the rut. This coincides with the start of rifle season. Three, deer are nocturnal by nature.
7/7/14 @ 10:42 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
LOL, 2 weeks before the season I see more movement than any time during the year....with the rut and all. Tounge Out
7/6/14 @ 8:20 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
Own a 40 and set 20 as deer sanctuary - I know too many people who follow this advice. Especially, I never go in the back half of the 40. I cant imagine what the neighbors are shooting on the back 1/2 of this sanctuary, especially during bow/rut. What do you know about what is going on if you never enter the zone? Depending on land terrain, you may only have 5 acres of prime bedding area you may want to avoid. Don't let the above advice rob you of the better hunting. Think about how you can sneak in around these bedding areas to hunt the "sanctuary" to access runways from the bordering properties as well.
7/4/14 @ 7:41 AM
7thson
User since 6/4/06
property ownership is always a good thing . However , in areas where deer baiting is allowed , no matter the food plot enhancement , two weeks before gun deer season , every guy who thinks he can bait in the biggest deer in the woods is dropping bait and claiming ownership of the 200 acres surrounding his bait pile . All the natural movement of deer now comes to a stop , account the deer can now bed all day 'till dark and go feed at the bait piles . Unless you can own enough land , or, have neighbors who think in accordance with your ideas , The practice of baiting deer will deter your efforts ! My two cents .
5/19/14 @ 2:22 PM
thechief
User since 5/2/05
chris2fur: I too hunt Bayfield county and have for a LONG time. its maybe not the best for seeing numbers. I guess you have to like to spend time in the woods to appreciate that type of hunting. might run across each other sometime, good luck.
5/19/14 @ 1:01 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
User since 3/4/06
I'm excited for ya Duxup! I read once, "you ain't a man until you own land". I've always remembered that line...but I only own a total of 2.5 acres. Anyway, I hunt in Bayfield County. Almost exclusively public. I've hunted enough private in my life to be able to say, your 40 will only be as good as your neighbors will let it. Meaning, if they're shooting every spike buck that walks by, that's all you'll ever see. Hopefully that's not the case and your hard work with habitat development will be rewarded. My advice, until you're good and comfortable after a few years, I would still lock everything up that you have out as far as cameras and tree stands. If it's a heavily hunted area, it will be stolen, signs or no signs. If you can afford it, I'd have trail cameras mounted high in a tree pointed down at another trail camera just incase you have thieving neighbors you can catch them in the act. Also, first and foremost, pick 20 acres that you'll never even walk on. Give them a sanctuary and a reason to stay on your property and feel safe. I know that's difficult saying that you can't step on 1/2 your land...even if it's just 10 acres...My lease in Jefferson I treat this way. The ONLY reason I would go into the center 20 acres is to retrieve a deer. Please continue to update us...I really like hearing experiences from guys like you. I appreciate guys that are willing to purchase and develop land to pursue their hunting dreams. I'm hoping to see your name pop up on the trail camera threads with a monster or two! And please take my advice as a grain of salt. I've read some good advice and bad advice on here. My advice not fit your situation. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters and like somebody said prior, the peace of mind on opening day that somebody won't walk in on you is priceless. GOOD LUCK! Chris
5/13/14 @ 6:54 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02
Congrats!! Have fun and enjoy.
5/13/14 @ 6:46 AM
land man
User since 9/12/06
Have fun!
5/13/14 @ 6:09 AM
duxup
User since 8/5/05
Well guys, we did it. Close on a 40 next week. It is the land described below. Surrounded by private, 1/4 mile off the road, we own the access road, decent mix of cover, and terrain changes. Now we start the long term planning for food plots and habitat improvements. Can't wait to start learning the property, putting out cameras, etc. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the input. Duxup
5/10/14 @ 8:03 PM
buckhound
buckhound
User since 4/18/06
If you're able to do it for sure do it. It will do wonders for your sanity.The deer are pretty sparce yet but you will see many other critters you normally wouldnt see in other parts of ou r state.BUCKHOUND
4/15/14 @ 3:15 PM
meestalubba
User since 1/5/10
if wolves could read no trespassing signs, then owning hunting land up north would be great.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 35 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE