SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Slowest rut I can remember

11/9/14 @ 5:02 PM
INITIAL POST
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06
I can't remember a rut this slow before. Either my dad or myself, or both of us have been hunting every day since Halloween on 350 plus private acres in Dodge Co. This is the 43rd year we have had access to this property and I can't remember a rut this incredibly slow. Anyone else having the same thoughts?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
11/16/14 @ 7:18 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03
Well it's a very disappointing day at my house today I've been hunting 15 years now have killed my share in those years and have never lost a deer gun or bow but have yet to get that elusive wall hanger at 715 this morning I shot my biggest buck by far too date he was chasing 2 does made a bad hit trailed him a long ways found one bed with little blood in it crossed a creek and eventually lost him rock county
11/16/14 @ 3:49 PM
bowtech Dee
bowtech Dee
User since 10/23/12
Had a albino buck in a field next to my work Thursday morning around 10am....running and panting.....in Mukwonago
11/16/14 @ 12:42 PM
fishfun1
User since 1/25/08
This morning I had a decent buck chasing a doe at 7:30 am and this was the first sign of rut I seen all year this is in Marquette county! also seen a total of 7 deer this morning!
11/15/14 @ 6:21 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10
Two days ago I saw a nice buck and doe together in a pasture no where near a woods and yesterday saw a nice buck run across open field at 10:00 in the morning. Tonight I drove around before dark and every field there were does and fawns everywhere and I never saw one buck the whole time. I think the deer are locked down right now and have been for the last week. Also the snow and cold has really make the deer put the feed bags back on the last week. They appear to be in their mid winter pattern already. I don't know what to expect next weekend, will it be bucks running again to find the last few does to breed or will it be the dead sea. I have a real bad feeling it will be the latter. I know one thing, I will be sitting next to the standing corn before dark if it is still there next weekend.
11/13/14 @ 8:17 PM
grampa bob
User since 12/18/08
Jefferson county, On my property there is a tree that has a scrape under it for the last ten years it was just opened up tuesday night. Today is the first day I have had a buck in the back yard. I believe that they are starting to look for does again. The neighbor saw a doe get bred two weeks ago but i have not seen any big bucks. I think this week end should be good Good Luck
11/13/14 @ 6:28 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Finally saw some normal rut activity. Grunted in 3 small bucks....and a big one pushing does around in a cut bean field. A member of our party shot a nice 10 on Monday......he didn't even smell like a rutting buck..and scaled out at 195. Not the normal withered away late rut weight. Was reading thus years field and stream rut issue. My area is normally good a week after their "best days".....their best day was today. Thinking next week will be bananas by me.
11/13/14 @ 5:27 PM
Fish Sandwich
User since 8/30/10
This was a complete back to normal rut for me. I would say if you compared it to the last couple of years, yes it was early and intense, but more of a traditional rut. I caught a lot of big bucks during daylight from the 31st until the 3rd and it seemed like lock down after that. From what I see now peak has passed and bucks are cruising again. It won't last long. Get out there.
11/13/14 @ 4:13 PM
rage25
rage25
User since 11/10/14
I had all last week off and things were very slow. Does and fawns were moving but buck sightings were null and void. The 5th I finally saw one at 6:30 am but he was unresponsive to all types of calls. Finally at 9:45 I put a tag on one but he was in no hurry to get where he was going. Buddy saw plenty of bucks on the same property but it wasn't till the 7th he had a hot doe drag a 10pt. by his stand and allowed him the shot he needed. Then according to him things blew up. Bucks chasing does everywhere. We had an epic year but the rut seemed mild for for us. May still be better days ahead.
11/13/14 @ 2:02 PM
GBEyeCatcher
User since 7/24/07
Well this is a first. The rut is realy weird this year and for us... central Wi it happened early compared to other years and in a real short time period. I run 8 tail camera on our property and we hunt very hard for mature P&G bucks. There really was not a seeking period tis year Scapes started to show up around October 15th and all mature bucks at night visiting them. Then boom full on chasing from 10/27 to 11/4 and I mean intense chasing with all the mature bucks on their feet all day long chasing doe. I shot a 145 inch 10 pt on 10/31 at 12 noon. Since 11/4 a bit of nightime scrape activity and now again no mature bucks seeking or chasin. It is like they went back to their mid October habits. We have hunted hard since 11/4 and we hardly see a buck. Lots of doe and fawns with no bucks to be found... not even the 1.5 year olds checking them out...All camera activity again at nite with mature bucks on feeding pattern again. I had this entire week off thinking this is when the rut was going to kick in full swing.... Glad I shot mine buck on 10/31 because the rut is over bu us... second rut will most likely hit around Dec. 1st.
11/12/14 @ 3:34 PM
Rempump
User since 5/8/03
This rut has been slower for me but I think that has to do with the times I hunt. I can't pick my days and hunt when I can and that seems to be the windy days. I saw a lot of activity the first part of October. The last few sits have produced little in the form of chasing, grunting and buck activity. Like others have said alot depends on where the hot doe is at and the number of does and bucks in your area.
11/11/14 @ 4:34 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
I hunted Nov 1-9 in Marquette County and the rutting activity the first 6 days was the best I have ever seen. There was chasing and grunting and my uncle even had a big time buck brawl right in front of his stand on the 6th. Then the activity completely dropped off. The Nov 7-9 I saw no mature does and I had lone fawns wandering around. I assume lockdown started.
11/11/14 @ 2:54 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04
It can vary so much from 100 yards away. Sunday night my friend sat probably 200 yards away from me on the edge of some real thick stuff and saw 2 fawns then 2 does 20 minutes later. No bucks to be found. I was up in a wide open hardwoods bordering some different structure and marsh and I had a buck chase a doe for 10 seconds, give up on her an then walk right on by me....at 50 yards. Keep at it all of November and you will get your chance. That migth have been mine.
11/11/14 @ 10:30 AM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
PRO MEMBER User since 2/9/03
The rut has been great for us in Marquette and Waukesha Counties. It's been the best chase phase I have seen in 5 years. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, bucks and does were running every where. I saw deer continuously throughout those days. Big bucks, small bucks, it was a great three days. Friends in Marquette are reporting the big boys are in lockdown phase now. I would agree, Saturday, Sunday and Monday I had 0 deer sightings.
11/10/14 @ 6:01 PM
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
Bite_size_to a_bluegill
User since 12/26/04
Not exactly sure if this is "rut" related or not but here in Fond du lac county there still seems to be allot of corn up yet. I am seeing bucks chasing does and a decent amount of road kill so I know the rut is going on, but I haven't seen the numbers like I normally do for this time of year.
11/10/14 @ 3:06 PM
Horble
User since 4/11/08
I have seen a pretty typical progression of the rut, even the dates match up with the last couple years. I have observed maybe 25-30% fewer does than past years, and probably the same amount of bucks so the chasing has been pretty intense up until Friday. Pictures on my cameras almost came to a halt starting Saturday. Still have a doe tag so am heading back out right now to brave the weather.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE