Superior Salmon & Steelhead Tools
Onchor Salmon and Steelhead rods were conceived in the Pacific Northwest for the benefit of salmon trollers everywhere.
Effective trolling requires building a spread to match the changeable conditions at hand. Presenting diverse lures and baits on multiple rods to cover different parts of the spread often means complex delivery systems; downriggers, planer boards, directional trolling sinkers, lead-core lines, and cannonballs or other sliding weights are all in play. All place severe demands on the rods used for deployment, and that's before the fish even strikes. Once a chinook salmon eats, the demands on the rod compound.
"In any salmon or steelhead trolling situation - from a simple flatline to a 24-ounce sliding cannonball rig - the rod is already under a significant load when it's sitting there in the rod holder," says St. Croix Brand Manager, Ryan Teach. "Add the slashing strike of a big, powerful salmon - often in heavy current - and that rod's got to have more… if it's already maxed out, something really bad is going to happen. St. Croix has engineered and crafted these new medium-heavy through extra-heavy power Onchor rods with forgiving, moderate actions that absorb all that energy and help anglers win the fight. What's more, we've leveraged our technologies and materials expertise to maximize strength and durability without adding weight. These Onchor rods offer extreme durability and power while remaining light in the hand and a joy to fish."
Four moderate action Onchor models are available to support nearly any salmon and steelhead trolling technique or presentation. They're finished in a distinctive Jasper Stone color and feature a five-year warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service. Retail prices range from $285 to $310.
New St. Croix Onchor Series Salmon & Steelhead Trolling Rod Features
- Premium, high-modulus SCIII carbon fiber and linear S-Glass blanks matched with Fortified Resin System (FRS) technology for maximum power, strength and durability with significantly reduced blank weight
- Integrated Poly Curve® (IPC®) mandrel technology
- Advanced Reinforcing TechnologyTM (ARTTM)
- Ultra durable, rigid stainless steel guides with aluminum oxide rings
- Ergonomic nylon reel seat with nylon & stainless steel locking nuts
- Ultra-durable carbon fiber and nylon handle with rubber butt cap
- Five-year warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service
- Designed in Park Falls, Wisconsin, USA and handcrafted in North America (Fresnillo, Mexico)
- Retail price $285 to $310
New St. Croix Onchor Series Salmon & Steelhead Trolling Rod Models
- ONCC90MHM2 - 9'0", medium-heavy power, moderate action, 2-pc., conventional / Retail $285
- ONCC96HM2 - 9'6", heavy power, moderate action, 2-pc., conventional / Retail $300
- ONCC96XHM2 - 9'6", extra-heavy power, moderate action, 2-pc., conventional / Retail $300
- ONCC106HM2 - 10'6", heavy power, moderate action, 2-pc., conventional / Retail $310