2021: Angling Travel is Back
Park Falls, WI - Welcome to 2021. More than ever, the turning of the calendar holds the promise of better things and better times to come. Most excitingly, perhaps, it's an opportunity to return to some of the normalcy everyone is craving.
For many, travel will be a big part of that normalcy. Individuals, couples and families can be expected to take to the highways and skies in record numbers in 2021, and as one of the most popular forms of outdoor recreation in North America, fishing will be on the agendas of many travelers once they reach their destinations.
Guided by its unrelenting mission to give all anglers the upper hand, St. Croix is celebrating the return of angling travel with brand new multi-piece Avid Trek, Triumph Travel, and Triumph Surf Travel Series rods, beautifully handcrafted and embodied with St. Croix technology and performance.
NEW St. Croix Avid Trek Travel Rods
Kunkle experimented with some heavier models and found them great for battling everything from black bass through light muskies. "I even caught a 42-pound catfish on one and never heard a sound or felt any play where the segments came together," he reveals.
Justin Carter of Charleston, SC, an accomplished tournament angler and St. Croix pro, recently put both medium-light and medium power Avid Trek Series rods through their paces. His review: "These rods were a home run from the first minute I held them. Right from the start there was nothing I wanted to change about them at all."
Carter also put his Avid Trek rods up against 20-pound redfish and tempted 30-pound jack crevalle during a topwater blitz. They performed so well he slipped one into his charter boat rotation. "My clients have caught well over 1,000 fish on that rod in three months," states Carter. "Not a single angler realized they were holding a 3-piece rod until I told them. Now, when I travel, I don't feel like I'm sacrificing feel or action when I take an Avid Trek instead of a full-length one-piece rod. I can pack easily, go confidently, and pursue anything I want, anywhere I want."
At the other end of the spectrum, St. Croix Southeast Regional Account Manager, Randy Hamilton, likes the 7' medium and medium-heavy Avid Trek paired to a 3000 or 4000 series reel for targeting big redfish and bones. "For how light that rod is, the lifting power is impressive when you connect with a big 6- to 10-lb. fish," he explains. "I didn't notice these were three-piece sticks while the battles were underway. There's not a spot in these rods where you don't feel fully connected. I was hopping soft-plastics for reds and that combination of SCIII carbon with IPC technology provided a great blend of strength and sensitivity on 20- to 30-pound class braided lines."
Lindner says the Avid Trek 7' medium spinning model (ATS70MF) represents an incredibly versatile choice for most traveling anglers that can be used in all sorts of fishing applications, from bass and Canadian walleye to most inshore saltwater species and many European and Asian exotics.
Designed and handcrafted at the St. Croix Rod factory in Park Falls, Wisconsin, U.S.A., Avid Trek Series rods carry a 15-year transferable warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service. Retail prices range from $260 to $290.
- 6'6" spinning, three-piece, medium power, fast action (ATS66MF3)
- 7'0" spinning, three-piece, medium-light power, fast action (ATS70MLF3)
- 7'0" spinning, three-piece, medium power, fast action (ATS70MF3)
- 7'0" spinning, three-piece, medium-heavy power, fast action (ATS70MHF3)
- 7'6" spinning, three-piece, medium power, fast action (ATS76MF3)
- 7'6" spinning, three-piece, medium-heavy power, fast action (ATS76MHF3)
- 6'6" casting, three-piece, medium-heavy power, fast action (ATC66MHF3)
- Integrated Poly Curve® (IPC®) mandrel technology
- Premium, high-modulus SCIII carbon
- Three-piece construction with slim-profile ferrules and Advanced Reinforcing Technology (ARTTM)
- Sea Guide Hero Hi-Grade guides with slim zirconia rings and SS316 stainless gun smoke frames
- Fuji® DPS reel seat with gun smoke hoods on spinning models
- Fuji® ECS reel seat with gun smoke hoods on casting models
- Sea Guide hook keeper
- Select-grade cork handle
- Carbon Pearl color
- Two coats of Flex-Coat slow cure finish
- Included 1000 Denier nylon-covered hard rod case with divided polypropylene liner
- 15-year transferable warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service
- Incredibly light, super sensitive and durable
- Designed and handcrafted in Park Falls, U.S.A.
- Retail prices range from $260-$290
NEW St. Croix Triumph Travel and Triumph Surf Travel Rods
For 2021, the entire Triumph collection has been fully reimagined with upgraded cosmetics and new components, including six, four-piece Triumph Travel freshwater rods and two, four-piece Triumph Surf Travel rods.
These exceptional travel models get a rich, new look for 2021, featuring a refreshed logo that helps celebrate Triumph's legacy to anglers, as well as new colors. Freshwater Triumph Travel models look resplendent in Deep Run Blue, while Triumph Surf Travel models wear a distinctive Sea Smoke shade of green.
All Triumph rods for 2021 now feature modernized Sea Guide componentry, starting with XDPS, ECS or TCS reel seats (depending on model) with eco-friendly sandblasted hoods. All feature Sea Guide Atlas Performance slim aluminum-oxide guides with black frames, premium-grade cork handles (custom cork tape handles on Surf models) and two beautiful coats of Flex-Coat slow cure finish. All Triumph models come with a 5-year warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service.
St. Croix pro Blake Tollefson of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin agrees, adding details to Johnston's points gained from first-hand on-the-water experience with the new fast-action Triumph Travel rods. "These feel like one-piece rods… nothing like the 'dead' multi-piece travel rods I've fished in the past," he says. The sensitivity really raised Tollefson's eyebrows. "I couldn't believe how well you could feel everything… from a fish eating, to the feel of maintaining contact with cover and structure," he adds. "Their unexpected sensitivity was impressive in all aspects and really speaks to the care St. Croix used throughout Triumph Travel's design and manufacturing."
"Like a lot of anglers, I think about fishing all the time. But I sometimes find myself in places and situations where I hadn't planned on fishing, but get there and wish I'd packed a rod. Triumph Travel makes it super easy, convenient and affordable to keep a high-quality fishing rod behind the seat of your truck at all times. When you remember it's in there, it's like reaching into your front pocket and finding a 20-dollar bill anytime you need it."
- 5'6" spinning, four-piece, ultra-light power, fast action (TSR56ULF4)
- 6'0" spinning, four-piece, light power, fast action (TSR60LF4)
- 6'6" spinning, four-piece, medium-light power, fast action (TSR66MLF4)
- 6'6" spinning, four-piece, medium power, fast action (TSR66MF4)
- 6'6" spinning, four-piece, medium-heavy power, fast action (TSR66MHF4)
- 6'6" casting, four-piece, medium-heavy power, fast action (TCR66MHF4)
- 9' spinning, four-piece, medium power, moderate-fast action (TSF90M4)
- 10' spinning, four-piece, medium power, moderate-fast action (TSF10M4)
- Premium quality SCII carbon
- Sea Guide Atlas Performance slim aluminum-oxide guides with black frames
- Sea Guide XDPS reel seat with eco-friendly sandblasted hoods on spinning models
- Sea Guide ECS or TCS reel seat with eco-friendly sandblasted hood on casting models
- Premium-grade cork handle (Triumph Travel) / Custom cork tape handle (Triumph Surf Travel)
- Deep Run Blue color (Triumph Travel) / Sea Smoke color (Triumph Surf Travel)
- Two coats of Flex-Coat slow cure finish
- Included padded nylon soft case
- 5-year warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service
- Outstanding strength, sensitivity and hook-setting power
- Designed in Park Falls, U.S.A. and handcrafted in North America (Fresnillo, Mexico)
- Retail prices range from $130-$140 (Triumph Travel) and $220-$250 (Triumph Surf Travel)
Like the rods? You'll love our lifestyle accessories.