Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Turkey Hunting

4/11/18 @ 6:45 PM
ORIGNAL POST
mnvikings
User since 10/6/14

What time do you guys go into the woods in the morning for turkeys ? If its before light, do you think a small flashlight scares the birds ?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/16/18 @ 7:37 PM
icebelt
User since 10/22/13

All good advice, just remember they also have to dust. Find a frequented dust spot odds go up

4/16/18 @ 7:03 PM
mnvikings
User since 10/6/14

One more question for Bugle Trout : when you sit near the roosting tree, do you call ?

4/15/18 @ 9:26 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

They are usually in one of two fields in the late afternoon.  I drive around until I see where they are and enter the woods accordingly.  There's also a food plot on the property which they frequent so I always avoid walking near that.

I've not had much trouble with bumping birds but I know the property that I hunt very well and know where the birds hang out at different times of the day.

But I get that some people get a kick out of getting in the woods in the dark when the gobblers start calling from the trees.  I took my son out one morning last spring and we had three toms going all around us.  Just about had one called in when a shot rang out from the neighboring property.  That turned him right off.  We ended up filling his tag that evening near the roosting trees.

4/14/18 @ 3:02 PM
mnvikings
User since 10/6/14

Bugle trout :  What happens if you bump them on the way in ?

4/14/18 @ 7:10 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Figure out where they roost.  You'll never have to get up and go out in the dark again.  Just set up near the trees a couple hours before dark and have at it.

4/12/18 @ 1:19 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

I can't tell you how many times I have walked in the dark,sat down and 1 hr after sun rise had birds fly down from the tree I was sitting under! Be reasonably quiet,Turkeys can not see in the dark,and I am sure they DONOT know what a flashlight is!Grandad

4/12/18 @ 1:18 AM
fullbarrel
fullbarrel
User since 6/4/03

Sat im taking my son on the youth hunt.  We will be in the blind set up by 5am.  Starts breaking light a little after 530 and birds may fly down shortly after 6am.  I always use a small light.  Always the chance of bumping birds if you walk under them.  But ive learned if you do scatter birds they will usually come to the calls looking for each other

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.