Lake-Link

Safe Hunting

11/10/17 @ 12:22 PM
ORIGNAL POST
broz.
broz.
User since 6/22/01

I did not write this just reposted it. I though it was a good read

With gun season quickly approaching and a lot of people sighting in guns and cleaning them I’d like to make a PSA. Hunters please remember that it is more important to have everyone go home safe then it is for you to put horns on your wall. Please remember the 4 rules of firearm safety

T- treat every gun as if it were loaded A-always point your muzzle in safe direction B- be sure of your target and what’s beyond K- keep your finger out of the trigger guard until ready to shoot

If you look at every firearm related accident one of those rules were broke. Things like sticks accidentally grabbing the trigger when your walking through the woods, it’s something that can happen but if your muzzle is in a safe direction it simply stays an accident and not a tragedy, same thing goes for knowing the area you hunt. Where are houses, roads, other people going to be. After the bullet goes through the deer where is it going to go. And please do not use your scope as binoculars. Also keep in mind almost all hunting related incidents are either self inflicted or involving a family member/ friend.. think about who you hunt with those are the most likely people to be involved with your failure to be safe. And please unload your gun when you climb tree stands it’s hard to control the muzzle when you are falling.

Lastly for those of you mentoring youth. This is your time to prove to Wisconsin why kids under 10 can hunt safely. It is your responsibility to teach that child the hunter safety rules and to practice practice practice being safe. This starts at the home. Before hunting that kid should be familiar with the gun. Know where the safety is and how to use it. They should learn to hold and handle the gun without pointing at people. When in the stand run through scenarios and talk about the possible outcomes. Talk about if a deer comes from that direction we can’t shoot because its up hill and don’t know what’s on the backside. Talk about if a miss occurs what’s going to happen. They will never know what to do unless you teach them before it happens. Also a good thing to do is practice looking down the scope or pointing the gun where you think the deer might come from. Have them pretend to follow a deer a few step side to side and talk to them about tunnel vision. If they start aiming at a deer in a safe direction but as it moves your safe zones of fire change and looking down a scope or barrel can sometimes be hard to see the change in direction. Remember you are out there for the kid not for you. Take the time to teach them the right way

There are plenty more things to think about and keep in mind which I’m sure will show up in the comments but I wanted to keep this relatively short and highlight the key factors of safety. If you need a refresher contact your local hunter safety chapter.

Thank you and safe hunting

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/27/17 @ 1:48 PM
Henome
Henome
User since 10/26/17

Very good tips. Especially that "And please do not use your scope as binoculars." Of course you need separate binoculars, it will be very useful. There are many modern devices that will help you in hunting. For example look the characteristics of ATN device as for me they are impressive!

11/17/17 @ 6:19 AM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Thank you for posting that!! Do agree with all!! But, it is so unfortunate that a 10 year old probably will have more common sense than some adults this weekend! I have seen a lot in the field I WILL NOT hunt with anyone that drinks alcohol before hunting period! I don’t care how good a friend or family member you are. Please be safe out ther don’t get buck fever and see that house, car, person past that deer!

11/12/17 @ 4:24 PM
Landin' Lunkers
User since 6/4/12

Big thing I learned that I bring up at our hunter safety course, if your child does make a kill shot, when the animal drops or starts going down the muzzle control seems to go out the window. I didn't' expect it the first time because to us adults it's second nature. A kid has a ot of emotions going. I agree keep it fun to. My kid didn't get a turkey yet this year but we still are having a blast. Maybe for thanksgiving she will!

11/12/17 @ 4:12 PM
fetch-um-up
User since 2/19/06

Great job Broz!  As a veteran Hunter Safety Instructor,  I think you covered it pretty well.  Only thing I would add, keep it fun!  Remember it's not all about the kill and if we don't pass it on and recruit new hunters, we may loose our cherrished pastime and valuable wildlife management resource......

11/11/17 @ 5:45 PM
Landin' Lunkers
User since 6/4/12
I agree with everything. Except kids under 10 hunting. A device that can decide life and death with a single finger movement at that age is unsafe no matter how experienced the mentor is. Accidents happen fast. 11 or 12 sure. Under 10 no way. Either way. Thanks for posting. Everyone needs a refresher this time of year. Including my self at times.

11/10/17 @ 5:07 PM
broz.
broz.
User since 6/22/01

Wicasa, I did not write this just reposted it. I though it was a good read to

11/10/17 @ 3:03 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

Thank you Broz.  Very well stated.  A must read - seriously 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.