Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Pheasant hunting in Southern Wisconsin

8/27/17 @ 6:38 PM
ORIGNAL POST
1HAWKEYE1
User since 2/25/13

Wondering if anyone would share when does the DNR release the birds?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/23/17 @ 6:31 AM
1HAWKEYE1
User since 2/25/13

I have a young dog and am wanting to get her on as many birds as possible.  Using a 410 double, so the harvesting is not that important.  Working the dog is my goal. Thanks for the criticism,  and the useful info.:)))

9/10/17 @ 8:20 PM
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04

My buddy and I do not hunt with dogs (because we don't have any). It's all eyes and ears. A lot more challenging I think. We have had a lot of glares when we walk out with birds and the the dog hunters do not. We refuse to hunt right as the birds are released like I said earlier. No challenge and the army comes out. If that happens we leave. 

9/10/17 @ 7:38 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

I agree 519vx that is my favorite thing and i usually go during the week i have 5 or 6 spots to go to and they have a ball im a lousy shot so the next guys dog gets to enjoy them too haha oh and I've tried bong i don't enjoy it untill december to much of a war zone for me 

9/10/17 @ 7:01 PM
519vx
User since 7/7/05

Really?   How about enjoying watching your dog work on a nice day that your not at work?  How sad that the focus is what day the truck shows up....

9/10/17 @ 6:50 PM
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04

The small areas I hunt in S/E wisco it seems like everyone knows when the truck shows up, especially the 1st week. The driver obviously tells his buddies and then word of mouth gets out. Me and a buddy where out one day on a heavily hunted public property and started at 10 or 11am. 1:30ish the truck showed up and dropped birds in sporadic areas on the property. They guy even told us where he opened the last cage. Needless to say the whole time we were out we were the only ones out there and 1:45 pops up and a dozen vehicals showed up all jammed full with hunters. We instantly left. That's not hunting....

9/7/17 @ 10:03 PM
fullbarrel
fullbarrel
User since 6/4/03

Most places i hunt release tues and thurs but they can release any day.   They normally drop thur an fri before the season and weekly until gun season.   They used to release after gun season but ive seen that very little the last 5 years.  I once saw them drop on a sunday afternoon which was strange.   

9/7/17 @ 1:47 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Unfortunately i think thats already been done

9/7/17 @ 9:21 AM
Cold Front
MEMBER since 7/9/01

I want to put a GPS transponder on the "Chicken Truck" Wouldn't that be sweet?!!!! . Mrt. 

8/31/17 @ 3:29 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Usually a couple of times a week untill gun deer season then a few times after and yes bong daily lots of birds at bong along with lots of hunters 

8/31/17 @ 12:00 PM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
Normally a week or so before the season with another mid season release. Some properties like Bong get daily releases. Check the DNR website for this years specifics.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.