Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wolf sighting site

2/14/11 @ 10:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
meestalubba
User since 1/5/10
oh gosh what a relief this must mean there aren't any wolves in wisconsin! phew!

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 244 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/21/20 @ 9:41 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
User since 3/31/15

I think there are way more deer hunters than wolves, and it's the hunter competition for deer than anything else... 

It would be the same thing if there were no wolves... 

I agree with OlSarge...

Same with fishing, size limits have returned the fishing ten fold... With selective harvest even with the added pressure we can have great sustainable fisheries...  Maybe need tighter bag limits to ensure that, but hey the alternative is unthinkable... 

10/21/20 @ 8:32 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

Its funny how we all like to hate wolves. They are part of the ecosystem and have their place with taking care of the sick and old allowing the herd to prosper. I see many dozens of deer on the side of 1-94 as I travel between Tomah and Minneapolis and on 1-90 between Tomah and La Crosse. I just wonder how many are actually killed on the road per year verses how many are killed by wolves. I read a DNR report yesterday on the Elk herd in Jackson County, which by the way has a few packs of wolves. It stated they have not lost one Elk to predication. I have seen two calves killed on the side of the road between Millston and Black River Falls in the past two years. I feel the wolf gets a bad wrap and is an easy scapegoat for others short comings. It is very easy to say I did not get a deer because the wolves ate them all instead of saying I did not get a deer because I did not do my scouting or preparation for the season. As a final thought, I spend countless hours each year in Jackson County fishing and just enjoying the beauty of the forest. Nothing excites me more than to find a wolf track on a sand fire break or hearing one howl at night.

Ol Sarge

10/19/20 @ 12:48 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Like any red-blooded Wisconsin deer hunter, obviously I’d love to see a wolf season reopen and have my chance at a wolf rug. 

In reality though, most northern WI deer hunters I encounter love to hate wolves. They love to hate them so much that they wouldn’t know what to do without them. After all, when you hunt 50 yards from the road in the same tree you’ve sat since 1994, and don’t see deer, what else can you blame? No way is it a lack of scouting, willingness to experiment, changing habitat, etc. It has to be the wolves.

Joking aside, surprisingly I have not seen one since February. I usually see a couple a year.

10/16/20 @ 9:21 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

...and it is a problem for all of us...who gets to pay for the depredations and damage?

10/15/20 @ 11:57 AM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

Management plans are periodically reviewed and updated to reflect changes in the environment and management of game species.  

The 1999 wolf management plan was the first time the department put a plan together.   The wolf population has grown in numbers and  distribution.  Our understanding of wolf biology has improved.

Keeping management plans updated is beneficial for both staff and the public.

10/15/20 @ 8:57 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Depredation reports by year if interested.  Lots of livestock in there:

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/wolf/maps.html

I do agree that I don't see the point of drastically changing population goals.  Nothing has changed since 1999 unless they plan to deem more area wolf habitat.  Most of the packs are where you'd expect though.  

10/15/20 @ 8:09 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"The population goal was part of the wolf management plan of 1999.  The plan is out of date and so is the population goal.

The NRB needs to direct the DNR to review and upgrade the wolf management plan. "

When you mention "upgrade" you obviously mean you want more wolves in the state plan.  What has changed from a biological perspective since 1999 that we need more wolves in the state?  The only answer you can give is "politics" and what an "acceptable" number is to the public.  

I am not a wolf hater by any means, but much of this state is obviously struck by wolf overpopulation to the point of driving away hunters.  It is to the point where guys who hunt with dogs are quitting.  Hunting dogs, pets, and livestock depredations are out of control.  If you lost an animal you love you may likely change your mind on wolf management...or mismanagement.

10/14/20 @ 2:22 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I have land near Eagle River that I don't even hunt anymore. I hunted it for 3 years after I bought it and gave up. I heard far more wolves howling than I actually saw deer. Crossing my fingers for delisting.

10/14/20 @ 12:25 PM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

The last I have read on the topic was the state was expecting the wolf to be delisted in the next month right around the start date of a typical Wisconsin wolf season (~11/6) so they were trying to seeing if they could have a season yet this year.

Why would they increase the wolf population goal? Do we need less deer in the north woods? So if they have a season there should be plenty of tags to go around. However I do expect they will drag their feet as expected.

10/14/20 @ 10:49 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Hopefully one day we'll get a governor who will do this...

Wolf Management 

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 244 POSTS
Advertise here
MEGA ImagingĀ® takes fish finding into the megahertz range for more detail and domination. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Imaging
Built for the roughest conditions with more options and safety first and foremost in the design. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - NEW Strikemaster Pro Suit
Mojo Ice gets a face-lift for 2021; sporting a new carbon dust blank and flat finish reel seat. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - NEW Mojo Ice Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.