Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wolf sighting site

2/14/11 @ 11:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
meestalubba
USER SINCE 1/5/10
oh gosh what a relief this must mean there aren't any wolves in wisconsin! phew!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 262 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/12/21 @ 1:47 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Interesting posts below.  

How does the DNR verify the accuracy and legitamacy of the trackers and counters?  

Wolves are too much of a hot button issue to leave the counting to potentially biased people. 

10/12/21 @ 8:34 AM
clueless
USER SINCE 10/24/04

J slayer- plenty in the Sugar Camp area. If you get a tag  get a hold of Steve White he post in the bear hunt forum. He will have good advice on areas to trap/hunt.

Courts are hearing a case to shut the season down on 10/28. It will be interesting to see if Wi. has a season this fall.

10/12/21 @ 5:35 AM
JEYESLAYER
JEYESLAYER
USER SINCE 2/8/06

Anyone see any wolves around the Eagle River area? Thanks

10/7/21 @ 8:47 AM
Fonzie
USER SINCE 1/4/09

Here's the movements of multiple packs that each have a collared member.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/biel6f/visualization_of_wolf_pack_territoriality_based/

9/29/21 @ 12:54 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

Cool, good to know some hunters participate.  I probably would if I lived in the area, but I'm not up enough.  To be fair, I was certain that some hunters did it too.  But out of all the trackers, I doubt they are all hunters.  That was my main point.  There is no vetting process.  If 20 people who like wolves want to join and fudge some numbers, it would be pretty easy.  Likely easier to say less, than to go the opposite and sound unrealistically high.  Like I said, tin-foil hat lol.

9/29/21 @ 9:29 AM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
USER SINCE 7/24/01

Lakeshiner- I am not a DNR tracker but a good friend of mine is. He is a hunter as well. I go along with him when we do the tracking surveys. We are assigned an area for the year to track and he chose a part that is east of Clam Lake and North. Its really a very nice way to spend some time in the winter and I enjoy going along immensely. Of course the best time to go is 24 hours after a snowfall. We have had the same area for 3 years now.

9/29/21 @ 7:43 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

I think I said this on a different thread, but one of my tinfoil hat theories is that members of the WI Wolf Patrol are directly involved with the track counting.  The group that harasses hunters and pushes to have wolves listed again.  I haven't looked recently, but a year or two ago I do recall that they had the track counting posted on their page or it was in a news report, I forget which now.  Anyone can pretty much be a track counter by taking a course on it from the DNR, but I haven't heard of a hunter/sportsmen who has done it.  Easy way to get in on the process and influence it.

9/28/21 @ 1:08 PM
phishin phool
MEMBER SINCE 4/5/08

Carpio, Thanks...I think...  

9/28/21 @ 9:37 AM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

Your mind sounded just fine to me .    CARPIO 

9/28/21 @ 8:09 AM
phishin phool
MEMBER SINCE 4/5/08

Steve White, Thanks for the comment. You are certainly correct in your assessment...had i given it more thought...I'd not have made my entry...Sometimes old mind works without working...  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 262 POSTS
Advertise here
Reinvented with SCIII carbon, IPC mandrel technology and custom Winn split-grip handles. Mojo Musky features 14 models including 3 telescopic rods for easier storage. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Mojo Musky
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.