Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wolf Hunt!

2/15/21 @ 11:43 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Bugeye1
USER SINCE 9/25/14

Wolf tags go on sale @ 12:01am 2/16/21! Clear your calendars for next week!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 97 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

TODAY @ 7:55 PM
trouter
trouter
USER SINCE 7/3/01

The state is required by law to consult with each Chippewa tribe about the quota.  This did not take place.

TODAY @ 7:50 PM
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

Darin, please message me about what got my last post removed.  I don't want to ruffle feathers.

TODAY @ 6:56 PM
brews4995
brews4995
USER SINCE 4/2/10

How were the tribes ignored? They got 40% of the tags.

TODAY @ 6:01 PM
trouter
trouter
USER SINCE 7/3/01

The tribes were ignored at the joint hearing at the capital.   I wonder if it was based on racism.   Ignoring citizens of color was classic Scott Walker behavior.   Has it resurfaced again ?

TODAY @ 5:40 PM
The_mystery
USER SINCE 1/15/21

Sorry stupid question here. How do you run wolves with dogs? Couldn’t a wolf easily kill a couple hounds?

TODAY @ 4:27 PM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

"It was the Natural Resources Board that set the quota at 4,000, not the DNR."

Correct, and it is probably why the quota is going to be exceeded significantly.  The season may have been stretched out another day or so...pretty insignificant.  The silver lining is I hope it results in additional research to get a more accurate count of wolves in the state.  No way can 2000ish hunters (a lot of hunters never even made it to the woods and were waiting for Friday-Sunday) can kill 20% of the wolves in 2.5 days of hunting.  According to DNR, 600,000 gun hunters have a hard time killing 20% of the deer in 9 days of hunting.

Updated number of wolves now at 182 as of 4:20PM.

TODAY @ 4:27 PM
Bugeye1
USER SINCE 9/25/14

Absolutely,  A big thanks to Hunter Nation and Luke!!

TODAY @ 4:10 PM
yahay
USER SINCE 11/28/07

A huge Thank You must go out from all of us to Hunter Nation & its CEO Luke Hilgeman, an outstanding young man who lead this effort. Without his passion we would not even be having this discussion.

Thanks Luke.

TODAY @ 4:05 PM
oldhunter
USER SINCE 2/28/13

I'm not going to dispute that there are too many wolves (there are), but keep in mind that the DNR would typically draw 10X the quota (Quota - 200/Tags - 2,000) and due to the short notice they drew 20X the quota. Therefore there was the opportunity to have twice as many hunters/trappers out there trying to fill their tags. I do know multiple people that drew tags that ran out of time and never really got to hunt much due to the quota filling so quickly. 

It was the Natural Resources Board that set the quota at 4,000, not the DNR.

TODAY @ 4:01 PM
Fishsqueezer
USER SINCE 5/19/06

Made hay while the sun shined, up to 178 as of 3:00pm (edit 182 @4:00pm). Not trying to be overly cynical, but I fear this will be the only shot we have at this for a while. We’ve got a DOI secretary (Deb Haaland) coming in who was endorsed by HSUS and PETA among others when running for Congress and a DOJ who most likely won’t put too much effort in defending DOI’s delisting decision in court against a slew of lawsuits. I hope I’m wrong, but I’d bet it’s less than 50/50 we have another season anytime soon. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 97 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.