Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wolf Hunt!

2/15/21 @ 11:43 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Bugeye1
USER SINCE 9/25/14

Wolf tags go on sale @ 12:01am 2/16/21! Clear your calendars for next week!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 111 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

2/25/21 @ 6:58 PM
trouter
trouter
USER SINCE 7/3/01

The only statewide wolf population survey is done by Wisconsin DNR.   I do not know of any other wolf population survey.

Any other estimation lacks documentation.

2/25/21 @ 4:17 PM
Fishsqueezer
USER SINCE 5/19/06

The fourteen percent is not the natural mortality rate, it’s just 14% of the mortalities they were able to determine cause. The 44 known-cause mortalities represent about 3% of the minimum population, that’s your rate, but it is obviously much higher than that. But I digress...wonder if you can detect a trend in vehicle collisions as population increases. I know they say this isn’t a very telling stay with deer given the inconsistent reporting practices amongst different areas of the state but I’d bet if someone smoked a wolf with their vehicle they’d be more apt to call it in. 

2/25/21 @ 2:52 PM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

Not to mention a very low natural mortality rate of 14%, not counting the 40% caused by vehicle strikes...

2/25/21 @ 2:04 PM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

Wolf kill now up to 215.  If you want an interesting listen, check out the latest NRB webcast on the DNR website from yesterday...about 2/3 of the way through.  Pretty much most on the NRB believes the wolf count is off, and you could see the frustration with not trying to manage the population per the state wolf management plan, ie 350 wolves and pretty much saying the wolf population estimates are woefully low.

From the last DNR report on wolf population, and if wolves are killed illegally:

"total wolf abundance for the 2019 – 2020 overwintering period was 1195 wolves, and the credible interval with the highest probability density was 957 – 1573"

of the dead wolves they found:

"For 44 known cause mortalities, 38 (86%) were human caused and 6 (14%) were due to natural causes.  Vehicle collisions (40%) and illegal kills (31%) were the leading causes of death for detected mortalities"

So yes, people are illegally shooting wolves.  Some appear to be using the SS method, obviously not utilizing the additional S for Shovel.

2/25/21 @ 1:58 PM
mudbucket
USER SINCE 12/21/04

Calling in a kill was also posted on a  Wolf patrol comments page. They figured, and I would agree, that they wouldn't be prosecuted. And by that time it's too late.  Go on there page and see where most of these people are from. I clicked on 3 from Canada, 1 from Minneapolis, 1 from Northern Wisconsin and a few from California. All pretty hard core activists. They also posted the wolf violators were waiting 24hrs to register their kills..lol. 

Again great job hunters. Sounds like it was a safe season also..

2/25/21 @ 1:43 PM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

"So, I wonder what penalty there would be for someone to call in a fake kill and then not have a carcass to verify it???"

Good question.  Maybe some of these would stick???

NR 10.08(7)(g) Possess validated carcass tag while hunting or trapping unless also in possession of corresponding carcass (0- 1000) 243.00

NR 10.085(4)(a) Leave carcass without attaching carcass tag (0-1000) 243.00

NR 10.085(6)(d) Fail to complete registration as required (bobcat, fisher, otter, or wolf) (0-1000)  343.50

NR 10.085(8) Fail to comply with collection, sampling, or submission procedures required for department research (0-1000) 343.50

2/25/21 @ 1:25 PM
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

H&H - you are correct - you first call in or go online and register it within 24 hours of harvest, but then it has to be verified by a DNR employee.

"" You must also exhibit your wolf to an authorized DNR representative (usually a Conservation Warden) for registration and tagging no later than March 7, 2021. 

-  Before registering a wolf with an authorized DNR representative, you must skin the animal and separate the pelt from the carcass. Be sure it is thawed out on the day of registration so that the registration tag can be attached. This does not need to be completed before registration for specimens going to a taxidermist. Persons who intend to have the wolf mounted by a taxidermist may exhibit the wolf to the department for registration without separating the pelt. The skinned carcass must be exhibited to the department within 30 days of registration. (Note: These animals must still be registered prior to taxidermy). 

-  Contact the local Conservation Warden or wildlife biologist or call 888-936-7463 to determine available times for registration.""

So, I wonder what penalty there would be for someone to call in a fake kill and then not have a carcass to verify it???

2/25/21 @ 12:52 PM
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

I was under the impression each wolf needed hands on registration.  Perhaps I misunderstood. 

2/25/21 @ 12:46 PM
Fish Hound
USER SINCE 1/29/02

I would also like to see in person registration, I heard of some that did not want Wolf hunting to take place actually called in a kill as it effected the hunt more than just destroying a tag.

2/25/21 @ 12:19 PM
Viking36
USER SINCE 6/8/10

Does anyone know where I could find the wolf kill by county in WI?  I know there is the zone count?   

I am a hunter outdoorsman and am just interested.  I did not wolf hunt.  I have deer hunting land in Outagamie County a cabin in Vilas.  Just interested.  Thanks for your help.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 111 POSTS
Advertise here
The new StrikeMaster Pro Jacket and Pro Bibs delivers the ultimate in cold-weather outerwear, keeping you warm, comfortable and safe on the ice. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - Pro Jacket & Bibs
St. Croix's all-new series of technique-specific rods features extreme performance blanks and materials specific to each model. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Croix Custom Ice series
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.