MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin NRB & DNR, Not Political, TRUST ME!!!!!!

9/10/21 @ 9:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
oldhunter
USER SINCE 2/28/13
DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 115 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

7/2/22 @ 9:04 PM
ere
USER SINCE 2/22/07

Prehn stated she was highly qualified. If you don't see a problem with a party, dem or rep, failing to at least schedule a hearing for an appointment then I guess it is just a waste of time to debate it with you. But I guarantee, if the roles were reversed you would be screaming from the rooftops. 

7/2/22 @ 6:35 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

Conflicts of interest, plural, as multiple? Holy moly, how about listing just the top 3? Please let us know.

Good governance seems to some to mean a brainless rubber stamp to the way of eradication of the deer herd. Heck you already got your Milwaukee inner city representative NRB member with zero knowledge of fish, or fishing, or fisheries, or fishermen, or fisherwomen. Or anything hunting related. The same one who voted on a wolf issue, just to issue a press release a few days later stating she didn't understand what was happening. How much more of that type of  philosophy are you wanting? At least Fred can relate to outdoorsmen. Good governance does not mean blind acceptance of poor decisions and incompetence.

7/1/22 @ 7:44 PM
ere
USER SINCE 2/22/07

Pretty lame attack their little luck. You obviously missed the point entirely. If you agree with how things are going with how business is being handled your part of the problem. If you don't see conflicts of interest on the board your blind as well. The legislatures lack of doing their job is an absolute joke no matter what side of the fence you're on.

7/1/22 @ 6:06 PM
samfox
USER SINCE 3/17/09

Robert white, you are spot on, they need to do there job. Vos needs to go, doing nothing doesn’t help.

7/1/22 @ 5:13 PM
LittleLuck
USER SINCE 2/16/17

Yeah Ere get some new blood in there on the NRB. Some that don't like hunting, want even higher predator populations, wipe out the deer herd to the point of being lucky to see a deer in some areas, say yes to everything the DNR suggests. I think all the hunters and fishers on this site would love it. Yeah right. Be careful what you wish for. Pretty soon we won't have a hunting or fishing season if some get their way. How bout an overhaul and some new blood in the DNR some that actually do their job and really manage game and fish. That is the place to start then the NRB wouldn't have to do the DNRs job that they have been failing at for many years.

7/1/22 @ 3:37 PM
ere
USER SINCE 2/22/07

PRJ, exactly. Noone on the board has made any negative comments on the replacement. Prehn spoke with Walker for advice, who in turn told him that the legislature wouldn't be confirming her anytime soon. Got to love it when a defeated Gov is the go-to for advice. Just to bring this into a clearer picture, the legislature has adjourned for the YEAR. (a whole topic on its own). As for being happy with the current board? Kaz and his boys are talking about bringing Dr Deer back. Kaz also isn't finished with the crossbow issue. I have zero confidence in the current group. Some new blood would be welcome. Remember, this can come back to bite all of us in the back side if sides are ever flipped. Be careful what you wish/cheer for. 

7/1/22 @ 11:58 AM
prj
USER SINCE 6/19/01

I don't believe I've heard anyone say that Dee Nass isn't qualified to sit on the NRB, not LaMehieu, not even Prehn.  I believe Prehn said she was "highly qualified".

Whats been said (and left unsaid), is that Prehn can simply not resign, and the Senate can simply not hold a confirmation hearing for an up or down vote.  They literally coordinated this minor coup amongst themselves and lobbyists!  Thereby, circumventing the normal order of a functioning government and orderly transitions from administration to administration.  You know, representing the will of the voters.  

And the resultant dysfunction is what we're seeing and will continue to see.

I recognize that many of you prefer Prehn continuing in his indefinite position, and are perfectly OK with the Senate not doing their job to maintain your preferred results.  Ends justify the means sort of thing, at the expense of regular order and good governance.

Frankly, its sad that so many prefer dysfunction, and would actually advise those of us longing for the days of high quality WI style politics "shut the heck up".

7/1/22 @ 11:51 AM
robertwhite
USER SINCE 3/18/08

“About the Prehn decision. The thing some of you aren't understanding is that the case had far wider implications than just Prehn and the NRB.”

You are correct.  What it says is that the legislature doesn’t have to meet to consider a Gov’s appointee, ever. 

“Right now the only thing the Governor can do is suck it up and to find a candidate who's got a somewhat tolerable style of natural resource management history. His current selection simply ain't going to fly, period. The legislature doesn't exist to rubber stamp his poor choices. They have an equal say in the matter and they say no. Pick someone else who's tolerable, or be complacent with Prehn and shut the heck up.”

No, you’re wrong.  The Gov has done what he is supposed to do, and he made his choices to the NRB.  The legislature hasn’t said “no” or “yes” to any of these choices…..they haven’t said anything!  No More confirmations  Their job is to discuss the Gov’s appointments and say “yay” or ‘Nay”.  If they say no, then the Gov will need to go find a different candidate.  The legislature is choosing to ignore their job in this process, and Mr Prehn is acting the child by not leaving the sand box when his time is up.  His guy lost the election, and he didn’t get re-appointed to the NRB by the new guy.  Who should suck it up?

Basically, what needs to happen is for the legislature to pass language making the NRB appointments similar to appointments to state offices (DNR, DOA, DOJ, etc).  If the legislature fails to act to confirm an appointment within 30/60/90 days (whatever), that person just becomes the official appointee.  Much like prj says, this legislature will never do that.

Like I've said before, it doesn't matter what the opinions are for deer, trapping, fishing, CWD, PFAS, clean air, etc.  It doesn't matter if you're a Dem or Repub. What is happening here is just flat out wrong.    

7/1/22 @ 10:48 AM
Lunkerhunt85
USER SINCE 5/10/14

This is a good thing. Wisconsin doesn't need more more liberal garbage ruining everything.... In fact the country could do without crazy liberal activism disguised as policy that is destroying the country. 

7/1/22 @ 10:17 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
USER SINCE 9/16/11

About the Prehn decision. The thing some of you aren't understanding is that the case had far wider implications than just Prehn and the NRB. There's many other administrative boards in the state other than the NRB. The Nursing board, barber shop board, etc, etc. Many of those boards would have difficulty even existing if their members where to be unable to continue serving past term and until an interested candidate emerged and the elected officials complete the confirmation process. It happens all the time. The poster below who said it's been decades is nuts. The law exists the way it does for a reason.

Right now the only thing the Governor can do is suck it up and to find a candidate who's got a somewhat tolerable style of natural resource management history. His current selection simply ain't going to fly, period. The legislature doesn't exist to rubber stamp his poor choices. They have an equal say in the matter and they say no. Pick someone else who's tolerable, or be complacent with Prehn and shut the heck up.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 115 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.