Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin minimum acres allowed to hunt

11/11/19 @ 9:06 PM
ORIGNAL POST
icebelt
User since 10/22/13

I think the minimum amount of acres a person should be able to hunt legally should be 5 acres for private land.what do you guys think

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 50 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/7/19 @ 3:56 PM
icebelt
User since 10/22/13

I can agree with you on that. Most laws we have today are not for the good people, they are for people that make poor decisions and then it hurts the mass majority. Here is something else to look at most by me dump truck loads of bait on these 2 to 4 acre parcels to get deer on them, because they are not there naturally. Everything today is drop your head off for cwd testing, big thing out in the state for heath of the Hurd. If people couldn’t hunt deer on their 2 they wouldn’t bait. There are pros and cons to everything and I’m not saying no rabbit hunting or any hunting with shot just solid projectile. People get nuts when it comes to deer. Again it’s a township thing the state won’t touch the subject, just like they won’t touch the baiting problem. I have a lot of neighbors we all get along, but this guy is bad he doesn’t get it and needs regulation. I thought more people would have same issues and support this I’m wrong more people have small parcels they need to hunt. I have 6 acres in between St. Germain and Sayner and would never consider hunting this piece do to respect of the neighbors. There is a lot of public property in this state that anyone one that loves to hunt can go and do it safely. Sorry for the difference of opinion that’s all it is.

12/7/19 @ 3:24 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

IB,

I don’t think anyone has issue with your specific circumstances. I can sympathize with you - bad neighbors are no fun. 

The issue (from my perspective) is that you want to take away hunting rights for anyone in the state with smaller parcels, even though they’re doing everything right. Not everyone owns 100 acres...

My family owns smaller parcels that we hunt with no issue or concerns from our neighbors. If the legislation you propose came to fruition, our right to hunt our land would be taken away.

Just because you struggle with an inconsiderate neighbor doesn’t mean the rest of the state does. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
12/1/19 @ 10:26 PM
LostvikingERic
User since 12/1/19

So as someone that does not yet have private land to hunt on not sure how much say I would have right now. But at a point it seemed like the place that the guy on the small land was too close to a building why not just keep reporting them on that? I do not like the idea of a state controlled minimum because there are a lot of other things that can go with that. I mean an acre could in theory be one square foot by 43560 feet. This is an extreme case and do not think it would happen but it can be any shape so  going back to the not real case it could be one foot by 217800 feet and that be five acres. I think that there might be already laws that this person is breaking that you can deal with them or maybe it a case where you guys and neighbors buy out this guys land. I agree that how they are hunting is not right but it is his land so if they loss their deer because they cannot retrieve it I for one would love to come and collect it, or there might be a charity that can take it.

12/1/19 @ 10:10 PM
icebelt
User since 10/22/13

People want more regulations on the Lost lake tread and that’s ok. When I tell someone to quit hunting my property not theirs then I’m a d-bag. Oh and by the way they don’t quit hunting it then I’m selfish. Wow! I don’t care what they do on their thirty foot wide property just don’t hunt mine anymore if you can’t follow rules or have enough to satisfy your need not my fault. D-BAG? Guy shoots in our direction,baits,trespasses when he can and probably pounds his ... for all I know and don’t care what he does on his land.

11/30/19 @ 10:06 AM
Analog man
Analog man
User since 12/10/18

11/30/19 @ 9:28 AM
musky2day
User since 8/25/11

This is a silly topic, it seems there is one d-bag here that wants the entire township to himself. This person apparently wants to control what people do on THERE property. And to top it off, he has the nerve to call other people selfish. 

11/29/19 @ 7:38 PM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

Unfortunately it is not rare and most land owners I know just have to deal with fellow hunters who can't make the common sense decisions. Deal with it the way you have to but like what has been said "you give them an inch and they will take a mile". Seems to be the same issues whether you are up north or down south except for the more property owners you border the more potential an issue will arise. I would never purchase property bordering public land, it would be a never ending nightmare.

Just like the law that a ten year old can shoot and handle a high powered rifle, maybe 20% are capable. Some of these people are making these same common sense decisions. I saw kids in hunter safety that could not hold a gun up to shoot. Just need more common sense people. Very good feedback and discussion everyone.

11/29/19 @ 7:22 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Wow is this sad, clearly you have issues with your neighbors, if your worried about getting your deer back after making a questionable shot. Stop taking the shots. If you don’t want them to run, shoot them in the head.

11/29/19 @ 6:54 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

It's really unfortunate you've apparently had such a terrible experience with a neighboring landowner but from most of the posts here it's obvious that such issues are a rare occurrence and not isolated to smaller parcels.  

11/29/19 @ 6:21 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

"Yes I trashed the masses and don’t care. "

This is the exact problem here. It's a personal vendetta and you don't care as long as it makes your life easier. It won't. A guy could have 100+ acres to hunt and still squat on the property line and gut shoot a deer that runs onto your property. Acreage won't matter. The fact that almost no one here has had a similar issue should tell you how isolated it really is. A-holes are everywhere. Shoot, a guy could hunt public next to private and the owner could still run into issues. 

The state won't address it because it is a sure failure to even suggest it. What's next, to get rid of the keep your feet wet clause because a few jerks litter?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 50 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.