LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Wisconsin DNR and the CDAC......failed system?

4/5/23 @ 12:46 PM
INITIAL POST
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Aren't the county CDAC's supposed to meet in early March to create/vote on "preliminary" harvest recommendations? Then in early/mid April the public gets to vote and provide input on those recommendations? That's the way I understand and remember it to be.

Why do I ask? Because the DNR is asking the public to start providing input on this in less than 72 hours (April 8th). Yet my county CDAC site has NO INFORMATION about any March CDAC meeting - no agenda, no minutes, no CDAC voting results, and no harvest recommendations !!!!

How in the heck am I supposed to provide input on a nonexistent preliminary plan!

The lager issue: Is this how is the DNR being run now? Seems like alienation of the public and a dismissive attitude towards outdoorsmen is becoming the norm.  Stuff like this is getting old. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
5/12/23 @ 9:06 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01
Minutes are sent in by the CDAC's to DNR.  DNR then publishes them online.   Please be patient.   

5/12/23 @ 9:03 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
Have any of your CDAC's published their recommendations yet? My county hasn't. My e-mail to the chair asking why the minutes from that meeting haven't been posted has also been unanswered.
4/25/23 @ 11:19 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12
Trouter, I am still waiting for you to post the documents, and/or links you referenced in your earlier posts.
4/24/23 @ 8:31 PM
go2fish
User since 9/19/10
Anecdotes, heresy...
4/11/23 @ 9:28 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
Trouter said: "Less than 5% of those who provided feedback to the DNR reviewed the CDAC recommendations.   This is a trend that was noted last year."

I'm calling complete BS on this statement. I went back and reviewed our counties public input from last year. There were 156 responses and 146 of those directly responded to the CDAC preliminary harvest recommendations. That's 94%, NOT 5%.

Have no clue where you got 5%, but would really like to know how this was derived, and who did it.
4/7/23 @ 11:04 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Never one to miss out on a conspiracy theory are you Littleluck? What you state is called anecdotal evidence and it's not worth squat. As usual...
4/7/23 @ 8:15 AM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01
Less than 5% of those who provided feedback to the DNR reviewed the CDAC recommendations.   This is a trend that was noted last year.

Since most citizens do not review the CDAC minutes, it was determined there was no need to have the meeting.   

I have been a CDAC member from day one.   One less meeting is fine with me.  Our options are rather limited as it is. 

The best option for concerned citizens is to fill out the deer survey and so the CDAC can crunch the numbers and read the comments from hunters about their deer hunting season.

4/7/23 @ 6:26 AM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Fin, not trying to confuse you, the info will / should be available next week. You can call the wildlife biologist for the county and ask for more info 
4/6/23 @ 11:49 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06
From what I can see there are no meetings scheduled till May which makes sense in the Northern Counties because the WSI would be determined by then. Also the WSI can be viewed on the DNR website, it's updated the end of the month. I have listened in on the CDAC meetings in our County and the CDAC always made the final decision on the season and the antlerless quota. They went against the DNR recommendations many times by voting amongst the members. Hunters have to remember that a healthy Forest that isn't being over browsed is much more important in Northern Wisconsin than having a lot of deer. But now the wolves and the mature Forest pretty much keeps the deer population under control in most of Northern Wisconsin. 
4/6/23 @ 3:47 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
Sam - now you have me even more confused and frustrated.

HAS THERE BEEN A PRELIMINARY HARVEST QUOTA SET BY THE CDAC THIS YEAR OR NOT?

If yes, then why do I have to wait to take the survey in order to see it?

If no, then quite frankly we will not have all the same information as we did in previous years, and see my post below - we will have no opportunity to comment on the decisions the DNR/CDAC will make.
4/6/23 @ 3:03 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Fin bender, my understanding is the information that would have come from the first meeting and recommendations will be included in public comments section.  My information came for Jeff Pritzl. Time will tell. Good luck 
4/6/23 @ 10:11 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
Thanks for the info.
The DNR put out a press release not very long ago announcing the open dates for public input. Of course there was NO MENTION about changes in the CDAC process, or that the process of creating preliminary harvest recommendations had been eliminated. If I'm understanding this correctly there will no longer be a public comment period after CDAC/DNR makes a decision on harvest numbers. That makes absolutely no sense to me. In fact I find it unconscionable. It effectively eliminates the DNR from any accountability for their actions. WTH is going on in that department? 
4/6/23 @ 5:04 AM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Fin bender, there has been a format change, public comment in April then a May meeting. Not sure if I like this format but will have to see.
4/5/23 @ 5:38 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04
I attended Oneida counties open house last night and CDAC was discussed. Public comments April 8-16. The CDAC committee reads and considers these comments in their decisions. Early May all counties will have a CDAC meeting.
Every 3 years each county decides if they want to increase, maintain or decrease the deer herd. So when we talk about deer population goals they are based on that goal. I have attended our CDAC meetings in past March’s and the problem was we were having a spring like this year and you were still waiting on the WSI. Last night the wildlife biologist did not have the current WSI # through March. He was estimating that we would be in the lower range of the moderate level. Waiting for CDAC to first meet in May could be a good thing for the northern counties where you’re waiting to see the full winter severity. 
From my experience of attending past CDAC meetings in one county I can say that the members representing forestry, and agriculture want higher # of antlerless tags. 
4/5/23 @ 2:25 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
Spike - the preliminary recommendations have always appeared on the county specific CDAC web-site. I went back and looked and every single one is there going back to 2018 when this all started. The only one NOT there is this years.

I also went on the metrics page you linked. It's quite a thing with LOTS of links. That being said I could find nothing that has my counties CDAC harvest recommendations for this year. If it's there I have no idea where. 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE