LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Will I have a tree left to hunt in???!!!

12/17/22 @ 3:02 PM
INITIAL POST
earlyretirement
earlyretirement
User since 3/2/13

I live in Columbia county.  I am truly blessed with the amount of public hunting land within a 25 mile radius of my house.  However since coming to this area in 2008 it seems like 2 hunting grounds are getting logged every year.  2008 til now is 14 years.  Which is a lot of time, but it takes longer  than 14 years for a tree to grow back.  I am not against logging, but at the rate they are cutting there will not be any trees left.  I have hundreds of stand trees but I have lost many stands to logging and worse yet when all the trees on the high ground are gone in an area I get a lot more pressure/company in the wetlands.  

Many of the larger properties have been logged multiple times in multiple areas.  There was a spot I saw on mud lake this year that had been logged maybe 8 or 9 years ago and then they came in this year and cut down all the new cherry trees and the remaining poplar trees.  Any one else seeing this in their area or think it is an issue?

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
3/18/23 @ 5:53 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02
For the last five years (at least), alot of timber harvest going on!
Big Mac 
2/17/23 @ 11:24 AM
swamp people
swamp people
User since 5/14/12
Turning the woods into farm fields in Juneau county. 
2/6/23 @ 11:47 AM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

We hunt in Bayfield county, sure wish they would cut soon!!! they have not cut in our area in many years!

2/6/23 @ 11:46 AM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

Places I've hunted (public land,SE WI) have been primarily marshes. Trees have been mostly ash. Most of those ash trees have been dead for several years. If they haven't already fallen over they will soon. Those trees still standing have already shed most of the smaller branches. I may as well be sitting on a flagpole...And a fragile one at that.

By the title that's kind of what I figured the thread was about.

Has everything in your area been clearcut? Back when I hunted up there I'd look for places that'd been cut a couple years prior. I suppose if the entire county has been logged off there'd be no more "edges".

And here I've been reading that the timber harvest (in general) in the US has been severely curtailed.

Hmmm. I'm curious now... I'll look into it.

2/2/23 @ 4:10 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

Ihookem, too bad there's not enough deer to take advantage of it.  Plenty of fresh cuttings by me as well but you wouldn't find a deer track in them.

2/1/23 @ 8:46 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

They are logging like crazy in Price co. 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE