MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Who's Excited For Opening Weekend?

11/20/19 @ 1:27 AM
INITIAL POST
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

So I'm pretty stoked for opening weekend. Not just because it's another amazing opportunity to get in the woods. But because I get to spend time at my favorite place on earth (my cabin) and I get to spend time with great family and friends. Here is a throwback to a video where my younger brother shoots his best buck ever on opening weekend. Our family is hoping to have another fun experience like this was this weekend! I'd love to hear about, and see your hunting camps, hunting traditions, or opening weekend videos! It's the best time of the year!

Displaying 16 to 30 of 40 posts
11/16/20 @ 10:07 PM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

if gun is going to be anything like bow season.. not looking forward to it. 

11/16/20 @ 8:05 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Yes, it hurts.  Since I was a kid, about 12 yrs old I prayed for a deer cabin. I even had a dream about a cabin, on a hill way back in the woods looking down on a river. When I saw the land I swear it was the land in the dream. There was a time , you could go and see some deer every few hunts. Now it is very hard just to see one. We even hunt second weekend sometimes.  It is not just a deer camp however, we fish the river for smallmouth . There are actually a lot of them in there but they are small, still fun to catch though. We have gotten 2 nicer bears and 2 small ones . My son, 15 got one 206 lbs gutted. Mine was 224 and a long bear that gave me a 6'6" rug. It is not all bad, but the deer hunting is just BAD!. SO bad we decided to just go grouse hunting  during the gun season. No law against it, and we kicked up 15 grouse in  3 miles. Just wish the deer hunting was at least  half way decent.

11/16/20 @ 7:40 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Ouch hookem, that has to burn. Not having any deer but having a nice cabin.

11/16/20 @ 6:16 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I am not excited to go. My camp is in Price co. and we are lucky to see a deer. The only reason I am going is cause my son seems to have some interest in it. I just hope we see a few deer this year.  My sone shot a buck in 2012 and that was the last buck we saw during gun season and only one more when I was bow hunting .  So, we have not seen a buck in 6 yrs. In all honesty, we dont hunt it much anymore but would think we would see more than that . The cabin is very  nice though. I have had it for 32  gun seasons now. I bought the last when I was 25 and now 57. If the taxes were not so cheap, it would be gone. Th elast tax bill was $225 . Maint. was about $300 this year , but usually  there is no maintenance at all except cutting the grass. It is on the S. Fork Flambeau River .

11/16/20 @ 1:45 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

I'll be excited to go if I dont test positive for Covid, will know Monday evening, then i can go hunting.

11/16/20 @ 12:39 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I'm very excited, its my first time hunting private land in about 8 years. I got invited to hunt with two other guys opening weekend. Will have to hunt public land the second weekend, hoping I'm tagged out by then. I'm most excited about getting away for a weekend, drinking some beer, telling stories and sitting in front of the wood stove after a cold day. 

11/15/20 @ 9:02 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I hunt public lands in marinette county and have been fortunate enough to get a deer the last couple years opening weekend we usually don't see many deer and maybe bring one or two back to camp in fact the last two seasons are the first time in 6 years I've actually seen more than one deer all season let alone harvest one. But always have a good time with friends i don't get to see very often and the memories made last a lifetime and are worth the slow hunting. Good luck hunting everyone and stay safe and enjoy yourself in the woods or at camp!

11/15/20 @ 8:49 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Not as much mingling with old friends  . No going out for breakfast opening day . Two nights of dinner out are now carryout .

But it's still deer hunting  , just a lot different this year   !

11/15/20 @ 6:34 PM
logger's hooked up
User since 3/1/11

We have a deer camp in central Wisconsin forest area. 6 of us. Two cabins each about 10 X 14. A couple bunks and a small wood stove in both. We cook over camp stoves and lights are flash light and lanterns, The beer is cold and the bourbon is awesome. We may see total of 4 or 5 deer during the week. and if we are lucky we'll hang one buck on the pole! Not a lot of deer in our area. I went 20 years before bagging a buck in 2017. Got one again in 2018. did not see any last year. excited for this year as much as I did when I was a kid. Good luck yo all>  

11/15/20 @ 11:47 AM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

Longest 4 day work week of the year....Good luck to all and stay safe

11/23/19 @ 6:33 AM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

It's that time!!! Good luck to all and stay safe everyone!!!

11/22/19 @ 4:33 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Anyone hunting central wi is going to have big surprise getting to stand with yesterdays rain! Creeks are pretty wide.

11/22/19 @ 2:11 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Super duper pumped. My tradition includes going to the Spooner Outlet and getting some gear and gifts for my kids. 

11/21/19 @ 7:58 PM
Kutt2
User since 10/31/15

I am not really excited about opening day. There is something inside myself that says I need to do, like when I throw a ball and my dog needs to run after it. I look forward to second weekend, and the muzzle hunt more. 

11/21/19 @ 4:19 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

I (almost literally) feel your pain Polski. I am so beat to a pulp by the July 19, 2019 storm clean-up in NE Wisconsin and four solid months of repairing my home I am not certain I can even hunt effectively this year.

I've never been a member of a deer camp and I've hunted alone most of my life. Now, at 60YO, deer hunting is becoming nearly impossible.

I guess I'll "go for it" as much as possible on Opening Day, hoping to hobble the 1-1/2 miles to my deer stand in the inky pre-dawn darkness. God help me if I should shoot some big fat monster out there and have to drag him 1-1/2 miles back to the truck. Fairly unlikely scenario anyway.

It'll be nice to have nine days off of work and to spend my nine days in the Nicolet though. Thirteen months left and I'll be retired and living up there full time.

Please, God, no more storms like July 19, 2019, OK?

RR

Displaying 16 to 30 of 40 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE