LOGIN
Lake-Link

Who's Excited For Opening Weekend?

11/20/19 @ 12:27 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

So I'm pretty stoked for opening weekend. Not just because it's another amazing opportunity to get in the woods. But because I get to spend time at my favorite place on earth (my cabin) and I get to spend time with great family and friends. Here is a throwback to a video where my younger brother shoots his best buck ever on opening weekend. Our family is hoping to have another fun experience like this was this weekend! I'd love to hear about, and see your hunting camps, hunting traditions, or opening weekend videos! It's the best time of the year!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/23/19 @ 5:33 AM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

It's that time! Good luck to all and stay safe everyone!!!

11/22/19 @ 3:33 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Anyone hunting central wi is going to have big surprise getting to stand with yesterdays rain! Creeks are pretty wide.

11/22/19 @ 12:57 PM
Otter Box
Otter Box
User since 12/10/14

Yeah, not so much. I grew up in a camp, hunted nice stands, private land and had that comradery up until 10 years ago. It’s a solo, public land thing now and I just don’t enjoy it the way I used to. I miss the camp part more than the hunting and at 50, not sure what’s in store. Friends are all involved with camps who pretty much all belong to someone else. Anywho, you all be safe and enjoy - big buck is a bonus. 

11/22/19 @ 1:11 AM
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Super duper pumped. My tradition includes going to the Spooner Outlet and getting some gear and gifts for my kids. 

11/21/19 @ 6:58 PM
Kutt2
User since 10/31/15

I am not really excited about opening day. There is something inside myself that says I need to do, like when I throw a ball and my dog needs to run after it. I look forward to second weekend, and the muzzle hunt more. 

11/21/19 @ 3:19 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

I (almost literally) feel your pain Polski. I am so beat to a pulp by the July 19, 2019 storm clean-up in NE Wisconsin and four solid months of repairing my home I am not certain I can even hunt effectively this year.

I've never been a member of a deer camp and I've hunted alone most of my life. Now, at 60YO, deer hunting is becoming nearly impossible.

I guess I'll "go for it" as much as possible on Opening Day, hoping to hobble the 1-1/2 miles to my deer stand in the inky pre-dawn darkness. God help me if I should shoot some big fat monster out there and have to drag him 1-1/2 miles back to the truck. Fairly unlikely scenario anyway.

It'll be nice to have nine days off of work and to spend my nine days in the Nicolet though. Thirteen months left and I'll be retired and living up there full time.

Please, God, no more storms like July 19, 2019, OK?

RR

11/20/19 @ 7:08 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

Not me, broke my leg on Monday. First time I'll miss gun hunting in about 45 years. I did get two with the bow which is plenty of meat anyway. Good luck, be safe.

11/20/19 @ 3:53 PM
Montiho
Montiho
User since 1/9/03

I am pumped!  I never did the deer camp thing in Wisconsin, just never had the opportunity.  For me it is public land via canoe to a landlocked piece of public surrounded by a bean field and a river.  I'll be my first year using a rifle and I am beyond excited.  

Good luck and please wear your harnesses! I fell out a stand from 18 feet and broke my neck a number of years ago. I am lucky to be alive and still able to hunt, but it does suck not being able to turn my neck anymore.

11/20/19 @ 2:25 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I will be in the Chequamegon, hunting out of our cabin with my dad and wife.  Not like years ago where it was some place we don't go often, I'm there most weekends.  Shot a buck last weekend so have to try and make it two in a row.

Wife will be behind our cabin, probably taking the kids along.  Nothing serious there but they got a deer before doing that.  I'll be further away with my dad.  On Thanksgiving day I might be hunting farmland in a box stand.  Will be quite the difference, kids will probably go then too.  

Years ago for us it was all about manliness and how old you were.  Like the songs, have to get away from the wife and all that.  As time went on that changed, now its about having fun with the family.  If the right opportunity came I'd let my son shoot one, he shot a few already.  I know some don't like the mentor options, to each their own.  As long as its done safely and they are learning its good in my book.  

11/20/19 @ 11:31 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

i LOL at your comment on the snorer and things looking up this year, Bowhunting guy     .. thanks for that. Just looking forward to spending quality time with close friends and relatives. I bowhunt the heck out of September, October, and early November so by this time, the actual "hunt" doesn't really matter to me. Spending time with those guys at one of my favorite cabins is what it's all about. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.