SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Trapping Beavers

2/9/21 @ 11:12 AM
INITIAL POST
camouser
User since 11/14/19

My daughter 10yrs old has started trapping this year, some muskrats over Christmas break and some beaver before the cold snap.  Hopefully some more beaver during spring break next month and then some up north in April if things go well.  She is greatly enjoying it and started a youtube channel of trapping and other outdoors stuff.   She hopes to have regular uploads, subscribe so you don't miss out.  Check it out if you have time.  

TrappingSquad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi8mYlbUiXA

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
5/11/21 @ 10:24 AM
War Eagle
User since 6/26/01

Congratulations. Just got my trapping certificate. I will check out the YouTube channel. Starting to get equipment and hopefully start this fall.

2/15/21 @ 6:57 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04

A cat by our pond. Fisher on a bear bait this summer and a pine marten when I was hunting in Mn last Nov.

2/15/21 @ 6:49 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04

Camouser, a couple photos to share w/ your daughter. The third photo is a bobcat track that was carrying/dragging its catch.

2/15/21 @ 2:59 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

2/13/21 @ 10:24 PM
camouser
User since 11/14/19

Placed some coyote traps last night on some heavy trails.  Checked it this morning and had a raccoon in one.  Hopefully she can get a couple more animals before mondays closure to be able to fill another short video.  

2/11/21 @ 9:32 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Camouser-  Love the story and pictures. That picture of your daughter when she was really young standing next to the skunk/raccoon made me smile..   I never trapped myself but know some guys who do (or did) and I respect the work and effort..

2/11/21 @ 1:49 PM
yahay
User since 11/28/07

Dang, that was my 3rd mistake this year.  

2/11/21 @ 12:29 AM
camouser
User since 11/14/19

try again

2/11/21 @ 12:27 AM
camouser
User since 11/14/19

try this again not sure why photos that are not mine keep coming up.

2/11/21 @ 12:24 AM
camouser
User since 11/14/19

We were running wolf traps the first half of the day and then the afternoon we would go fishing in the boat.

2/11/21 @ 12:14 AM
camouser
User since 11/14/19

struggling to find the wolf ones seem to be lost in Lala land somewhere I will find them at some point and add though.   Here are a few from the early years.  She plans to go after beaver in March on spring break yet this season and if the ice goes out up north soon enough well go up there the second week of April to northern Wisconsin.

2/10/21 @ 11:38 PM
camouser
User since 11/14/19

Thanks for all the positive responses guys.   It brings a smile to my face.  She greatly enjoys it and wants to share it with people and other kids via YouTube.   Wish seasons weren’t almost over and this deep freeze hadn’t set in will have to wait a bit for more.  As for the wolf I drew a tag the last year they had a season.  Didn’t catch one but my zone was only open three nights and I was also doing it with Michelle helping with some of the sets.  I think she was 5 at the time.  Tomorrow when I can get on my computer I’ll dig up some photos to put on here 

2/10/21 @ 8:55 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

A blanket?        your ideas are much more useful than your football predictions!      Lol.    CARPIO 

2/10/21 @ 5:59 PM
yahay
User since 11/28/07

Man what a great thread.  We as a country really really need more of this type of involvement in nature & involvement by parents with their children supporting their interests, I commend you greatly camouser.

Having trapped for many years from the mid 70's into the late 80's, & being extremely lucky to  have drawn a wolf tag in 2013 & successfully tapping a wolf, I know exactly where that smile comes from.  One thing I will share with you as far as beaver trapping, use a shoulder length rubber gloves if you are checking fenced off ladder sets, or maybe they don't use these, IDK. 

Anyways, while checking a set on a house many many years ago, I reached down because I just could not tell if a beaver was in the 330 due to muddied up water.  Upon doing so I set the 330 off between my wrist & elbow. The "ladder" was froze in so I could not just lift it out.  

In the absolute middle of nowhere, in Price county, nobody within ear shot, & back before cell phones, I found myself in a very chitty spot.  The only thing that may have saved my sorry azz was, I was able to just wiggle my arm back & forth enough to slip out of the trap because the inside & outside of the rubber glove was slippery.

Take it for what its worth, but give it some thought.  

Again, kudos big time to you all.  BTW, we used to get a buck an inch, measured both ways,  for a properly stretched out & fleshed beaver hide. 

2/10/21 @ 9:32 AM
cheeseshredder
User since 6/1/19

I took up trapping this past fall, in my mid forties. The main thing I have learned is the commitment this sport takes is incredible, trap prep, checking traps daily, and skinning the critters. I just wish one of my four sons would show some interest in trapping, so it is good to see your daughter take the initiative to enter the wonderful world of trapping. She better be careful or it might consume her as it has me!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE