MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Theresa Marsh

8/11/19 @ 10:10 AM
INITIAL POST
H20  DOGS
H20 DOGS
User since 1/5/05

That is the DNR doing to the marsh. It's dry as a bone except the river channel?

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
8/22/19 @ 12:20 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Thanks Kona.  Odd, I checked the West Bend News and WI Outdoor news websites for the stories and nothing comes up.

8/22/19 @ 11:07 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Igor; The West Bend News had an article a few weeks ago and the latest Wisconsin Outdoor News has an article on the front page.

8/22/19 @ 9:46 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Where have you guys seen the articles?  I did several searches that came up empty.

8/22/19 @ 9:30 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

There was a similar article in one of the local papers.. Main goal this year was to add some vegetation to an 80 acre area that was just a mud flat. Goal was to attract more ducks/geese to marsh (draw down also killed quite a few carp).. Looks  like they hope to have a large burn this winter (800+ acres) to open up some of the cattail choked areas..

Agree this should help waterfowl recruitment but not sure if we will ever see the "good old days" of goose hunting.. Local farm fields used to be full of geese in Oct,  now it is mostly sandhill's.. I know there are other factors in play that created the current situation.    

8/22/19 @ 8:41 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Really?  Thanks for the information Pool!  I've been saying the last 5-6 years the number of geese there has plummeted and the reason was there's less open water every year due to cattails taking over.

I hear one more person say it's due to the wind turbines, I'm going to lose it.

8/21/19 @ 3:44 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

There's a large article in the August 23 issue of Wisconsin outdoor news about the drawdown and the rehabbing of the marsh.

8/13/19 @ 8:03 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Grew up on a family farm right next to the marsh and I agree with Igor.. They have these water draw-downs almost every year.  Sandhills are now the major species (vs. geese) but that is a different topic

8/13/19 @ 7:28 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

While it is in dire need of a burn to open up more areas for the geese, I can tell you from hunting that area since the '70's this is nothing out of the ordinary.  They will close the dams soon and the water levels will rise.

8/12/19 @ 3:48 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Maybe getting ready to burn

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE