Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

NRB overruled CDAC recommendations

6/28/20 @ 10:58 AM
ORIGINAL POST
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

The 2020 deer season(s) structure was recently announced. Noteworthy is the fact that the Natural Resources Board led by Kaz (as usual) chose to overturn 11 County CDAC management recommendations. Most of these dealt with antlerless harvest recommendations in Northern counties. 

Irrespective of how one feels about the direction CDAC or NRB have gone with these specific management decisions, seems to me that any legitimacy the CDAC had has just gone out the window. Why invest volunteer effort in local testimony,  committee membership or any other efforts for that matter when Kaz and crew continue to make capricious and (often) unscientific management decisions. 

Hard to believe but Wisconsin appears to be reaching new lows in deer management decision making. 

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 82 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/4/20 @ 7:40 AM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

The sad part about most of the northern counties CDAC's, they can't even get their goal correct. Maintain / decrease??????????? Really! Hard to keep hunters and or try to recruit when it is poor deer herd numbers.

Hopefully they will at least get their goal corrected next year with the new CDAC members. Very important time to get your voices herd.

7/3/20 @ 10:40 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Robert is correct as regarding voting.  Also amazing how people just hate a guy on the NRB just because. I do not agree with  some things Kaz has done and says and I sure has heck have let him know it. But on trying to improve deer hunting and deer populations especially up north and on public lands, trying to retain hunters, get more into the sport he is doing more than Kevin Wallenfang and his cronies have ever done in regards to this and oh yeah he isnt getting paid a big salary in fact no salary or big pension for failing at deer management for 25 years like Wallenfang is.

7/3/20 @ 10:47 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

Geez Luise guys, don't get your undies all knotted up.  The great "KAZ" will make everything perfect for all hunters.        Trust Him!

7/3/20 @ 10:11 AM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

Then why are CDAC CC vice chairs not voting up north and why are chairs only voting as a tie breaker up north ? Can any of the bright minds here answer that ? Little luck or Beer ? You both are heavily involved in CDACs? 

7/3/20 @ 9:41 AM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08

Also, as long as we're looking up definitions:

"Advisory":

adjective: advisory

1. having or consisting in the power to make recommendations but not to take action enforcing them

7/3/20 @ 9:36 AM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08

"The vice chair cannot vote . The chair only gets a vote in case of a tie ."

Nope, you're wrong.  Copied directly from the CDAC Governance document on the DNR webpage, detailing the roles of the Chair and Vice-chair:

"The chair may choose to make motions, participate in discussions, vote on all issues, and when choosing to vote, customarily votes last. The chairs vote can impact the outcome of a vote in one of two ways:
• In the event of a tie: the chair can vote in favor of the motion. Without that vote the motion will fail. 

• If the motion is going to pass by one vote, the chair can vote against the motion and the motion will fail with a tie."

"The CDAC alternate chair is responsible for taking notes to create a complete set of minutes and recommendations for each meeting and presiding over the meeting in the absence of the chair.
1. The alternate chair has all the rights of a member of the council including voting rights."

Seems like the CC has some pretty good power in my opinion.

7/3/20 @ 8:18 AM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

The vice chair cannot vote . The chair only gets a vote in case of a tie . The CDACs are set up to be a 5-3 slam dunk always lowering Wisconsin deer populations. There’s a clear reason Wisconsin had one of its worst deer seasons in a generation last year . It wasn’t weather or a late start date either . It was rigged CDACs statewide lowering deer populations after horrific winters using fake WDNR deer population estimates.  If the Conservation Congress chair and vice chair were given votes Wisconsin hunters would have equal representation and the NRB wouldn’t have to get involved .

7/2/20 @ 2:21 PM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08

Actually, I think the vice chair DOES get a vote.  At least, the one in my county voted on all recommendations.  

7/1/20 @ 12:24 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Wicasa,

Seems like you don't think having a reasonable deer population or a decent deer hunting experience is at all important. I guess you must not realize the importance to the economy to this state. Or the tradition, passion, learning, outdoor experience of deer hunters of this state going back more than a century. Many people in this state care about it and don't want to see it lost. Maybe you just want everyone including kids to sit on their cell phones and computers. Sorry it isn't just about 50 pounds of venison or a trophy on the wall. Your comments speak volumes.

7/1/20 @ 8:56 AM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

Gut management decisions to override rigged  elections Lab? After listening to the $#/Tshow our last CDAC meeting was I had just simply resigned myself to killing every last deer I saw If I even hunted again . The forestry interests want and expect zero deer on the landscape and will do almost anything to get there.Up to and including using threats of bigger quotas of antlerless for private corporate interests if CDAC recommendations weren’t deemed high enough. The rigged CDACs need to be leveled or Wisconsin will lose an entire generation of hunters which might ultimately be the end game for the people we pay to manage our wildlife. Setting reasonable conservative antlerless quotas isn’t rocket science if you take the extreme politics and dollars out of the equation . In fact most states simply hire trained professionals to do just that and fire the ones that can’t or won’t . 

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 82 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.