Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

NRB overruled CDAC recommendations

6/28/20 @ 10:58 AM
ORIGNAL POST
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

The 2020 deer season(s) structure was recently announced. Noteworthy is the fact that the Natural Resources Board led by Kaz (as usual) chose to overturn 11 County CDAC management recommendations. Most of these dealt with antlerless harvest recommendations in Northern counties. 

Irrespective of how one feels about the direction CDAC or NRB have gone with these specific management decisions, seems to me that any legitimacy the CDAC had has just gone out the window. Why invest volunteer effort in local testimony,  committee membership or any other efforts for that matter when Kaz and crew continue to make capricious and (often) unscientific management decisions. 

Hard to believe but Wisconsin appears to be reaching new lows in deer management decision making. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 80 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/30/20 @ 10:23 AM
duxup
MEMBER since 8/5/05

The NRB just passed their June changes....LESS Burnett, Douglas, Bayfield, and Sawyer counties.

7/10/20 @ 5:41 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

Here in Adams County, predator impact on the deer population is minimal.  Yes we have wolves.  But not enough to impact the deer population at the county level.  But they do impact local areas.

The wolf hunts had little impact on deer harvest in Adams County.

Access to deer and low hunter turnout have a greater impact on the deer hunt than predators,

7/10/20 @ 2:24 PM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08

".....they simply shouldn’t have anything more than an opinion on Wisconsin deer management from now on .

Depending on who's wearing what shoes, and from what viewpoint they're coming from, some would say the exact same thing about the opinions of some hunters.  

Opinions are just like, oh what was it?...…..darn me and my poor memory.....but I know that everyone has one!

7/10/20 @ 1:13 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

Wi forestry 

$24.4 billion (roughly ten times as much as the “hunting” industry) and 63,000 jobs, majority of which are north of 29. Take away the ability of the forest products industry to manage their private lands that are open to public recreation as they see fit will result in them being closed and removed from MFL and FCL, broken up and or leased. Good idea. 

7/10/20 @ 11:12 AM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

Um, ok?  That seems contradictory.  Fair CDAC's that represent everyone, but not really, just as long as folks who want what they want get what they want.    

My point that I didn’t make very well Robert was that forestry interests have no interest in bargaining in good faith with deer hunters on CDAC boards . They would like 0 deer on the landscape and they simply shouldn’t have anything more than an opinion on Wisconsin deer management from now on . Our devastated Northwoods public land hunting is a direct result of their never ending quest to end the mythical overbrowse. Make it easy , no antlerless north of 64 on any and all public ground . And pull the foresters rights to issue their own tags on private corporate forests also and we’ll have a good start on rebuilding the Northwoods deer herd again . 

7/10/20 @ 10:53 AM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

Good point as always JC , I however don’t know anything whatsoever about the southern deer hunting or deer management and I don’t comment for that reason . 

7/10/20 @ 10:46 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

There is no need whatsoever for any antlerless harvest on any public lands north of highway 64 

I would say public lands south of HWY 64 have even been more ravaged, especially in farmland units where free public land doe tags are handed out to anyone who purchases a license....brutal.

7/10/20 @ 8:31 AM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08

".....set by balanced fair county CDACs representing both sides of the issue with a compromise for all sides. 

…..It’s time to utterly ignore the forestry interests also......" 

Um, ok?  That seems contradictory.  Fair CDAC's that represent everyone, but not really, just as long as folks who want what they want get what they want.    

7/10/20 @ 8:16 AM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

IF our WDNR wants to stop Wisconsin deer hunters fleeing the sport here’s an easy solution that will work in the framework of their own unlimited predator policy  Northern WI .

Zero antlerless harvest north of highway 64 on any and all public land at least until wolves are managed.

Extremely limited antlerless harvest on private land as needed voted on and set by balanced fair county CDACs representing both sides of the issue with a compromise for all sides. 

There is no need whatsoever for any antlerless harvest on any public lands north of highway 64 . It’s time to utterly ignore the forestry interests also , bargaining deer numbers in good faith with them will get your deer  herd crushed and fast.  After some of the worst Wisconsin  gun hunts in a generation or two they will still complain about a single deer left browsing . 

It really can be and is that simple the big IF is does our WDNR even want the deer hunting tradition here as in the past ? If this isn’t fixed and fast Wisconsin hunters will go elsewhere or just quit altogether. I’m still on the fence as that week of gun season has probably the best fishing of the year and would be a much better use of my time with how badly the deer herd  in N Wi is currently being managed. 

7/9/20 @ 9:14 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Robert

I should have clarified that if you reduce the doe tags the deer  population will increase with both bucks and does  Buck kills will go up as more does breeding produce more does and bucks. Increase buck kills population is increasing. You want to get to the historical buck kill average before you start adding doe tags to maintain the population. While doing this you also look at metrics car kills, crop damage, fawn recruitment, etc. It is very difficult to grow the deer herd on public land up north because the numbers are at or near 30 year lows . A main reason for this is years of over harvest of does due to inaccurate SAk population guestimates.  Throw in very high predator populations with wolves, coyotes, bear, bobcats and add in some harsh winters. Even with buck only on public land up north it is still real difficult to grow the herd. For years I have been telling dnr in Madison and local biologists need to do more to control predators.  I real predator management plan. A start would be increase bear and bobacat tags. Maybe add a bounty on coyotes and don't require a small game or any license to hunt or trap them. In South Dakota I believe they have like a $5-$10 bounty on predators which helps the pheasants and cattle ranchers. I think all you have to do is bring the tail in to get paid.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 80 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.