SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Is blaze orange required for muzzleloader season

11/29/20 @ 9:43 PM
INITIAL POST
esoxs-enemy
User since 5/28/08

Pretty easy question, but I couldn't find a direct answer...

Do I need to wear Blaze Orange during muzzleloader season?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
12/2/20 @ 8:50 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

I always thought that also about some camo being too dark. I think the ASAT was a good idea with the lighter background. Lots of times they make a pattern to look so cool right in front of you but step back 25 yards and it looks like a dark blob.

12/2/20 @ 7:16 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Some of these camo patterns are so dark that I think it makes you stick out more than wearing blaze orange. A dark blob with a light backdrop is much worse than a grey blob. 

12/1/20 @ 10:57 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I agree, I always say its about the movement more than anything.  In fact the buck I shot this gun season walked past me at 15 yards.  I was only 12' up and had no cover around me, dressed head to toe in orange.  So close I could hear it sniffing the air as it walked.  It had no clue...has happened many times.  Can't think of one time a deer looked at me when in orange.

12/1/20 @ 9:19 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

Through studies it was reported that because a deer's vision and color perception is much different then a humans, blaze orange appears to a deer as a gray tone.  So Blaze orange should not have any negative effect with hunting deer. If I remember correctly, the studies did report that Blue colors, like blue jeans, have a high visual effect on deer.  

12/1/20 @ 9:03 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I don't think wardens can just wander onto your land anymore without a reason to check you.  I guess if they saw you in camo during a firearm season, that would give them that reason.

That's why they make reversible clothes.  Orange vest/hat for walking to and from the stand, camo for in the stand lol.  

Now if you want to find a time where most are not wearing orange, its probably the Disability gun hunt.  That starts 5 days prior to the Youth Hunt in October.  Never heard anyone discuss it, but per the regs you should have orange on.

11/30/20 @ 8:09 PM
esoxs-enemy
User since 5/28/08

Thanks for the clarification of blaze during firearm season while bowhunting. I hope I didn't offend, figured you were joking and were talking about regular bow hunting season. Thanks for the responses. 

Now, how do I fit a 30-06 shell through a breech plug?

J/K

11/30/20 @ 5:07 PM
Deertroller
Deertroller
User since 4/30/15

You would also think ANYONE hunting could tell an elk or moose from a deer, but apparently not, so you make the call...

11/30/20 @ 3:50 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

That's where the you do you comes in lol.   So unless you have a cranky neighbor who knows where you sit and that you aren't wearing orange, honestly, who's going to know?  Not a big deal in my opinion by any means, but it's in the regs. And certainly one you'd think could be a private land exception. Maybe if it's brought to the hearings it can get amended. 

11/30/20 @ 2:37 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Sorry I wasn't clear with my response of even if you're bow hunting.  I had meant to specify that if you're bow hunting during one of the firearm seasons then you must wear orange.  I understand this rule while on public hunting grounds, but if you're hunting your own private land I think it's overkill, unless you're tracking a deer onto another property, but bow hunting...while in a tree....on your own land....that'd be quite a shot to have shot me in my own tree stand from somewhere, aren't the deer on the ground?

11/30/20 @ 1:56 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Pretty sure you should read the regs.  You're required to be wearing orange during any firearms deer seasons if archery/cross bow hunting. Now...this is where you do you comes in. 

Oh, and during the statewide antlerless and holiday hunts, even if you're using bow/cross bow, you're only allowed an antlerless deer.  

11/30/20 @ 1:17 PM
Budman
User since 8/17/01

Esoxs, to clarify the comment about wearing orange while bow hunting...it is a requirement while bow hunting during any open deer firearm season.

11/30/20 @ 12:10 PM
esoxs-enemy
User since 5/28/08

Thanks, for the responses. Last time I went muzzleloader hunting there was an exception for the 'firearm' rule, granted this was 20 years ago. 

Pretty sure you don't need Blaze for bowhunting, but...You do you

11/29/20 @ 9:52 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Yes, even if you're bow hunting.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE