MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

How Prepared Are You For Archery Season

7/31/20 @ 1:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

To be honest I'm feeling like a 6/10. I'm late on all of my normal work. I still have several stands to hand and multiple stands to trim out and check to make sure they are still safe. I know a lot of people are public hunters, I hunt a lot of public as well. But here is a little video on some of the work I do on my small piece of private ground in Wisconsin! 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
8/4/20 @ 9:27 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Sold my compound and will be buying a new crossbow by Labor Day. Will be testing out a few different fixed blade broadheads once I get it. I would like to get out and scout some new areas. I have a dozen or so spots that are usually "good" every year, but they weren't "great" last year. Probably won't get out hunting until early October and will be taking the first week of November off. 

8/4/20 @ 9:24 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
Thanks guys!
8/4/20 @ 8:55 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Good luck Fulldraw! There is nothing like archery elk hunting.  Danger- you'll be hooked and have to go back!

8/4/20 @ 8:12 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

Sorry, i worded that poorly - they aren't expecting us to shoot that far. They stated that based on prior hunts and experiences that our chances for success will go up if we can shoot that far comfortably. I don't know if I would take that shot when it comes down to it. Hopefully I get one in close to not have to make that  decision, either way, it's my first hunt in the mountains and closing in within one month - very excited. Fun few months coming up! 

8/3/20 @ 3:13 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

I would run in the other direction from any outfitter with expectations that their hunters execute 80 yd shots. But...thats just me

8/3/20 @ 2:02 PM
jlkohl
User since 6/9/02

Good luck FD!! Comfortable to 80 yards for elk? Make sure it's perfect conditions.

Not much for our couple plot areas this year, just leaving some select corn/bean strips unharvested. Shot the bow a few times and feeling good. Adding a few cameras this week and final stand tweaks/trimming lanes. Sure does feel great outside today...just finished a few rounds with the bow in the backyard.

8/3/20 @ 12:49 PM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

Have all of the plots sprayed, planting the fall / kill plots next weekend, 3 acres of corn is looking great. Been preparing for an Archery elk hunt Sept 15-19 so pretty jacked about that.. very excited for what that has brought to my whitetail shooting - i never considered myself a perfectionist with the bow, but good enough to be dangerous. I haven't shot within 60 yards in the last 2 months (the guides told us to expect to shoot out to 80 comfortably) so i've been working to be confident there.. shot at the usual 25 last night for the first time and the target looked like a beach ball.. so that was pretty cool. Stands are all set, just have to stay consistent and wait for opener. This weather sure makes the excitement grow even more. 

8/3/20 @ 10:09 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Food plots are done, clothes are washed and ready, and this weekend will be doing some treestand work. Have yet to shoot my bow which will be the focus now. Feeling pretty good overall. 

8/3/20 @ 9:08 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10
My food plots are done, mowed the clover last week. Put up a new ground blind for the wife to replace the one that was on its last legs. Still have to put up/move a tree stand or two and put up another ground blind. Then I have two more food plots to finish for family members. I ploughed them and spread lime a couple months ago now I need to fertilize, disc, spread seed and roll. Haven’t touched the bow yet other than bringing it up outta the basement. I’ll start shooting soon. 
8/3/20 @ 7:27 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Spent some time yesterday sighting in my bow from actual tree stand height (which I highly recommend if you don't currently do this).

Sprayed round-up on food plot a few days ago. Rough tilling on Tues/Wed. 

8/1/20 @ 2:48 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Don’t know why the photo in my prior post is sideways. It is correct in my photo files. But hey that’s how Lake Link works. 

8/1/20 @ 2:44 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Got a little more prepared today. 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE