SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

felons/hunting

10/10/19 @ 7:58 AM
INITIAL POST
Capt. Ahab
PRO MEMBER User since 1/28/02

wondering if a convicted felon can be in a pop-up blind and deer hunt(gun) with his own son just as an observer?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
10/12/19 @ 4:17 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Edge, the person being punished is the felon.

Black powder, from two google searches:

Federal law does not prohibit felons from owning an antique firearm. ... Any muzzle loading rifle, shotgun, or pistol made to use black powder or black powder substitute and which cannot use fixed ammunition is considered to be an antique firearm. 

For your question, yes, muzzleloading guns can be legally purchased, possessed and used by those convicted of felonies (your state and local laws may vary, so check them out. This answer pertains to federal law.). For legal purposes, muzzleloaders are not legally classified as firearms.

10/12/19 @ 11:42 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

And possibly black powder.  I've heard that both ways . But yesterday I was at Fleet Farm and asked about black powder pistols . They do not require a background check . So they may be OK .

10/12/19 @ 11:28 AM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Not sure. But I think that his only option for actually hunting is archery I don't know where I heard that or if there is any truth to that. 

10/12/19 @ 8:45 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Good question and good answers, good work..

10/11/19 @ 2:51 PM
Bomar1
User since 12/30/09

He can not be in a house, ice shanity, deerblind, automoblie if there is firearms present.

10/11/19 @ 2:46 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
10/10/19 @ 12:05 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

I agree with the others - based on the information provided, it really should depend on the "kid's" age.

Under 18, the gun is not legally his/hers, and you'd have a hard time convincing a warden that you borrowed it from someone.  Even if you actually did, I would bet they consider YOU the responsible handler of the gun.

Mentored hunt (kid hasn't had hunters safety class) - the "mentor" must have a valid hunting license (I just found this out last weekend for the youth hunt).  That rules a felon out.

The only conceivable way you wouldn't get in trouble is if your "kid" is over 18, and the gun is his/hers.

I'll be interested in hearing what you found out.

10/10/19 @ 10:00 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Good point regarding age.

I know the DNR is a law enforcement agency, but I would definitely ask the county sheriff's office and/or the district attorney's office. 

10/10/19 @ 9:12 AM
Capt. Ahab
PRO MEMBER User since 1/28/02

thank you guys...excellent feed back...going to contact the dnr to get a hard line on this...thanks again...:)

10/10/19 @ 8:59 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

They may not be able to legally own guns until age 18, but anyone who’s completed hunter’s safety can hunt alone and without adult supervision at 14. 

10/10/19 @ 8:59 AM
JigDipper
JigDipper
User since 12/19/14

My thought is no, but I wouldn't trust this situation to us Lake Link lawyers either. Contact a warden.

10/10/19 @ 8:39 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

If it is a mentored hunt situation I would think it is an automatic no, legally. If the kid is old enough to hunt alone that could be different. As stated, “possession” as  defined by law is the issue. Even if the kid sets the gun down inside the blind and neither are holding it, both parties have equal access to the firearm.

If it were me, I wouldn’t even consider putting myself in that position unless clarification was sought and received from a sheriff, warden or district attorney ahead of time.

10/10/19 @ 8:34 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

That’s a tricky one.  Could u say the kid owns the gun and as long as the dad doesn’t load or hold the gun it’s ok, maybe??  I’m pretty sure a felon can’t have a gun in their house so, would it be ok if the gun was kept at someone else’s house? Good question. Maybe a question to ask a warden or police officer. 

10/10/19 @ 8:29 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I would say it would depend on if he handles the gun. Chances are good with a kid that he'd wind up holding it at some point, and that's where he may have issues if caught. I think for a correct answer, he should talk to law enforcement and not rely on opinions on a discussion board. I hope he can figure out a way to be there with his son. Maybe something to consider would be to get the kid  a crossbow so there is no gray area. Sure it's not gun hunting, but still legal. 

10/10/19 @ 8:10 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

I would say no, my understanding of the law is that it is illegal for a felon to own or posses a firearm, with possession being termed as using or intent to use.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE