Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

CWD in Wisconsin

11/2/19 @ 6:59 AM
ORIGNAL POST
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Why is everything with the DNR and some members of the public in regards to CWD a crisis and sky is falling scenario? CWD has been around since the 1960s out west. It was discovered in Wisconsin over 10 years ago. It was going to wipe out the deer herd and the economy.  Be a threat to deer hunting as we have known it. The DNR tried to eradicate the deer herd around Mt Horeb and other places where CWD was prevalent but to no avail. If CWD is such a threat to wipe out the deer population,  how come the deer population is higher than ever near Mt Horeb and other areas where is prevalent? Lot of people claim the past approach on CWD as not being aggressive enough. What do people want done ? Killing more deer or eradicating has not been the solution or showed any effect. People screaming we have to do something an acting on pure emotion and not logic is not the answer.  To date I don't think anything scientifically has been proven to be the answer.  Why keep killing or over harvesting does in many areas because they might have CWD? If the deer is unnecessarily killed by a hunter or dies if CWD it is dead either way. Amazing how the DNR is influencing the CDACS in many areas to issue doe tags in many areas when not needed especially in the northern third of the state where in many areas the deer population is low due to over harvest of does in the past using a flawed SAK population formula for many years by DNR.  Since CWD is much more prevalent in older bucks if anything dnr should encourage shooting of bucks not does. I am not buying the deer herd has recovered up north in 2-3 years cause it hasn't.  The DNR and others are using CWD as an excuse to kill more deer and possibly sell more doe tags that aren't needed keeping the deer population numbers at or near 30 year lows in areas up north.  Reading a recent article in Wisconsin Outdoor News quoting Bob Nack of DNR. States we are losing deer hunters.  Hunters aren't happy.  They aren't seeing  deer.  Getting out of the sport. Do you blame them. Memo to Bob Nack and Kevin Wallenfang of the DNR, if you want to sell more licenses and keep people in the sport and bring new people in, increase the deer population in many areas. It isn't rocket science,  a lot of hunters are not happy.  I wish the DNR would stop posting all these bogus pr deer forecasts saying deer hunting will be great all over the state when it isn't.  Deer hunters would have a lot more respect for the DNR if their reports were accurate and hunters don't have false expectations.  Back to CWD.  What do people want done in regards to CWD when nothing has proven to work. ? I think testing if hunters want to know status of deer they shot and good disposal of carcasses are the only things to be done now in addition to banning baiting statewide permanently period. What do others think?

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 144 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/16/19 @ 11:16 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

I agree...no interest.  This really needs to occur at the federal level as funding is poor.  If a person comes down with a TSE resultant from CWD, you will see funding pour in.  I hope that doesn't happen however.  

I am hold out a sliver of hope that Bastian is on to something with the PA work going on.  Very slim chance, but right now the only hope I see on the horizon.  One must admit that the prion theory and all the funding that goes into it has resulted in little progress.

12/16/19 @ 10:51 AM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

In Wisconsin, there is no appetite for CWD research funding by either party.  I personally met with lawmakers from both parties and they had no desire to push for a 1 million budget item for CWD research.

Lawmakers from both parties will not support CWD research in Wisconsin.  

12/16/19 @ 10:27 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Well said JC..

12/16/19 @ 9:42 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"Where's your plan Little Luck? You act like you know everything so whats the solution? All you have done is complain "

Ill chime in.  There is little/nothing the DNR or legislature can do to stop CWD from spreading.  Until people realize this, they will be forever mad at somebody or something.  There is no way to regulate or manage our way out of this disease.  So, there is NO solution.  Those of us that understand what the "real science" says have accepted this for years, and no politician has any influence whatsoever on the spread of this disease.  Stop blaming anyone for prior actions, as those actions have little affect on the spread.  The only thing that "may" slow the disease is preventing transport of infected carcasses, but that will only help so much.  You can't stop crows from eating dead deer in a landfill and flying off somewhere.  Stop being angry at legislators, DNR, or anyone else in regard to CWD spreading...it is a waste of effort.

Like I have stated in the past, there are 2 options:

1) support disease/vaccine research, and

2) support disease/vaccine research.

ALL States - Stop wasting money studying CWD management techniques, stop with paying for studies that determine CWD deer die more often than non-CWD deer, stop passing laws (urine bans, baiting bans, food plot bans, etc.), and push the government to fund CWD disease/vaccine research.  That is the only hope to fix this during our lifetimes, but most likely we will be living with it.

12/16/19 @ 8:54 AM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13

for those who had a deer test + did any of you see strange behavior or sick looking ??How do we know this cwd is a real thing? How do we know how long its been around? maybe for hundreds of years or longer? or is it even real?

How do we know?

12/16/19 @ 8:37 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

My thoughts are that this issue has basically two parts to it.

A: Impact to deer management.  What is the actual impact to the health of the deer herd short term and long term, actual science based research on CWD interaction with deer, using actual data from the field in areas where CWD has existed for a number of years to show impact, and research for a vaccine.

B: Impact to humans, so far studies have shown it has not and is not probable that it will jump the species barrier.  But that is still an issue every individual will have to decide for themselves.

12/16/19 @ 8:21 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Fish Sandwich, that sucks.  I have an idea what I would do in the same situation, but until confronted with that decision, I can't say for sure.

12/15/19 @ 9:29 PM
Fish Sandwich
User since 8/30/10

I tested a positive buck in archery. It sucks. The only reasonable way to kill the prion is 50/50 bleach and water soak for 45 minutes. 

The buck was shot in october, and it took ten days to get the results back. It was cold enough to let hang for five days, which I prefer. I butchered, and deboned the meat, and let it age in the garage fridge for another few days before putting the meat in the chest freezer. I threw the carcass behind the house. 

Test comes back positive. First one ever. Bleaching the knives is no big deal, although after 30 minutes they started to rust. The garage floor, no big deal, although it smelled up the garage pretty good. Of course the meat bags leaked in my garage fridge. That was a pain. Then there was my hunting clothes. The CWD is pretty much going to stay on those and get spread wherever I wear them, since I can't afford to destroy them in bleach. It is also on my side-by-side and aluminum trailer. And now I have an infected carcass in my backyard that my dog and the local critters have been chewing on. 

You can see how we are helping this thing spread. It feels disgusting and I'm ready to hang it up. 

12/15/19 @ 4:58 PM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13

Has anyone seen a true cwd deer? what was your experience? Besides a test result in mail ?  

Would like to here from those hunters only whos deer were affected and hear about what they have seen

12/15/19 @ 1:46 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Archery killed buck tested positive in Sheboygan county now. First wild one found in that county. 

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 144 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.