Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

CWD in Wisconsin

11/2/19 @ 6:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
LittleLuck
USER SINCE 2/16/17

Why is everything with the DNR and some members of the public in regards to CWD a crisis and sky is falling scenario? CWD has been around since the 1960s out west. It was discovered in Wisconsin over 10 years ago. It was going to wipe out the deer herd and the economy.  Be a threat to deer hunting as we have known it. The DNR tried to eradicate the deer herd around Mt Horeb and other places where CWD was prevalent but to no avail. If CWD is such a threat to wipe out the deer population,  how come the deer population is higher than ever near Mt Horeb and other areas where is prevalent? Lot of people claim the past approach on CWD as not being aggressive enough. What do people want done ? Killing more deer or eradicating has not been the solution or showed any effect. People screaming we have to do something an acting on pure emotion and not logic is not the answer.  To date I don't think anything scientifically has been proven to be the answer.  Why keep killing or over harvesting does in many areas because they might have CWD? If the deer is unnecessarily killed by a hunter or dies if CWD it is dead either way. Amazing how the DNR is influencing the CDACS in many areas to issue doe tags in many areas when not needed especially in the northern third of the state where in many areas the deer population is low due to over harvest of does in the past using a flawed SAK population formula for many years by DNR.  Since CWD is much more prevalent in older bucks if anything dnr should encourage shooting of bucks not does. I am not buying the deer herd has recovered up north in 2-3 years cause it hasn't.  The DNR and others are using CWD as an excuse to kill more deer and possibly sell more doe tags that aren't needed keeping the deer population numbers at or near 30 year lows in areas up north.  Reading a recent article in Wisconsin Outdoor News quoting Bob Nack of DNR. States we are losing deer hunters.  Hunters aren't happy.  They aren't seeing  deer.  Getting out of the sport. Do you blame them. Memo to Bob Nack and Kevin Wallenfang of the DNR, if you want to sell more licenses and keep people in the sport and bring new people in, increase the deer population in many areas. It isn't rocket science,  a lot of hunters are not happy.  I wish the DNR would stop posting all these bogus pr deer forecasts saying deer hunting will be great all over the state when it isn't.  Deer hunters would have a lot more respect for the DNR if their reports were accurate and hunters don't have false expectations.  Back to CWD.  What do people want done in regards to CWD when nothing has proven to work. ? I think testing if hunters want to know status of deer they shot and good disposal of carcasses are the only things to be done now in addition to banning baiting statewide permanently period. What do others think?

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 164 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/30/21 @ 10:50 AM
jitterbug1962
USER SINCE 12/14/14

I see Taylor county hit the baiting ban.

2/9/20 @ 3:16 PM
Brother of the brush
USER SINCE 1/22/12

Anyone with common sense would know that cwd doesn't thrive in the desert...  

2/9/20 @ 12:56 PM
Brother of the brush
USER SINCE 1/22/12

"u are naive to think people aren’t smarter in 2020 than 1980"  Experts today say, with the tools of the times, modern man would not be able to built the great pyramids of thousands of years ago.  So who's the smart one?

2/9/20 @ 9:32 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER SINCE 12/18/07

Would venture to guess over 30 years and 10 guys hunting, at some point, someone in our group would likely have to have shot a deer with CWD Scrub.  

I’m not saying you shouldn’t personally worry about it, to each his own. If you interpret the facts differently than me, no worries, I just don’t see it the same as you, and that is perfectly fine. 

Present day, you are far more likely to get sick from tainted beef or produce from your local grocer than from consuming venison. 

If that pendulum starts to swing, I’d see it differently. For now it is what it is, and we know what we know. Which interestingly, there is quite a bit we don’t know, and we are making regulations based on something other than known facts (that said, I do support further research) so that we can make informed decisions. Today we only know what we know. 

There have been a number of other posters on this thread that have similar views. That doesn’t make us right and you wrong, or you right and us wrong - just a different interpretation of the issue. Different perspectives make the world go round, would be pretty boring if we all had the same perspective on every issue. 

CWD was first found in the 60’s out west, and specifically in Wisconsin 20 years ago, so it’s not a new problem. 

From my perspective, the biggest impact on deer populations are bag limits, doe tags, bonus tags etc.  

Based on the above, the average life span of a deer in Wisconsin is 3-years.  

Interestingly, CWD takes around 2 years before a deer starts to show symptoms of the disease.  That is why most deer harvested with CWD show no symptoms.

From a layperson’s perspective, I’m not convinced that proactively lowering the herd accomplishes much, as you run the risk of killing thousands of deer that don’t have CWD.  

There is just too much that we don’t know, so we shouldn’t  be making decisions on our deer herd based on “what if’s” and fear of things that we don’t fully understand. If we fully understood the facts, that would be a completely different story in my mind...

For now, I don’t have any issue not testing my harvest, and consuming it.  

You know the same facts I do scrub, if you feel differently, God bless you, no worries here - it’s all good. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
2/8/20 @ 6:03 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER SINCE 12/18/07

CWD has been around for quite some time...

I’m in my upper 40’s, and have been deer hunting in Wisconsin since getting my hunter’s safety certificate way back in the day.

Our deer camp many years has 10 people, and over the past 35 years or so, we’ve harvested lots of deer. We’ve yet to test a single deer, and we’ve had no ill affects from consuming our harvest. 

As mentioned earlier in this thread, you are considerably more likely to die or get ill from eating lettuce purchased at your local grocer. There seems to be a recall every other week. 

Getting sick from consuming a wild deer is an exceedingly rare occurrence. I’m not aware of a single death.  I’m sure some google pro out there can find something, but it is far from common. You’re at greater risk consuming veggies purchased from the local grocery store. 

I’ll take my gamble on venison any day of the week.  

As humans, we tend to overreact on issues that we don’t completely understand, and as of today, we don’t fully understand CWD.

I worry about all sorts of things in life. CWD doesn’t make the top 100 list.  

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
2/4/20 @ 8:41 PM
sniper
USER SINCE 10/17/01

Can you please explain to me why CWD isn't more evenly spread across the state if it has always been here. Why is there such a high rate of infection in the core area and the rate decreases as you move away? If you look at the dnr cwd page you can go through past years of positives/deer tested in chronological order. It's pretty obvious it's spreading geographically. Where I hunt in SE Mn, there's a similar core area beginning to develop. Luckily in the unit I hunt, there were over 3000 deer tested this year without a positive. In a couple units just to the west there were 25 positives. The first positive was discovered just a couple years ago. If it's always been here, shouldn't there have been some positives in the 3000 plus deer tested?

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/cwddistribution.pdf

2/4/20 @ 5:29 PM
LittleLuck
USER SINCE 2/16/17

.308s and 30.06s put a lot of holes in deer brains by unnecessarily killing healthy does with unnecessary doe tags in many areas cause they might get cwd. The end result is no deer in a lot of areas and hunters quitting hunting. 

2/4/20 @ 4:06 PM
Swamp buck
USER SINCE 1/23/09

Ya I agree. I disease that eats holes in your brain is no big deal.....

2/4/20 @ 3:34 PM
LittleLuck
USER SINCE 2/16/17

Amen turkeyslayer2. 

2/4/20 @ 3:05 PM
Turkeyslayer2
USER SINCE 8/28/11

Anyone that thinks that CWD has only been around since 2001 or 2002 when they first started testing for it is crazy.  This is just when we found out it was here.  It has probably been here forever we just didn't know it.  It doesn't cross species and infect humans so why all the fuss?!  Diseases have always been around and the affected animals eventually evolve and become less prevalent to the disease.  Even prion diseases like CWD.  Banning baiting and feeding will have little effect on this disease. I've baited and fed deer for most of my adult life (30+ yrs.) and I've yet to have any deer I've harvested test positive for CWD and I'm within the areas where they say it has been found.  Yes I do have my deer tested - mostly to prove a point even if it's to myself.  Anyway the big picture here is the fact that our DNR needed something to blame their stupidity on by thinning the deer herd down to population levels during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's that have yet to recover.  They certainly weren't going to blame the insurance companies that were crying because of all the car/deer accidents for handing out tags like candy at Halloween. Those low deer population numbers are why we continue to lose hunters.  Young people aren't going to sit in the woods all day without seeing deer and I don't blame them for quitting.  I continue to hunt and so do my kids but it gets harder each year to convince them to go.  I'll never quit because I know how much fun it can be when deer numbers are up and I hope I get to see that again before I can't hunt anymore.  Don't sweat CWD.  It shall pass and the DNR will come up with some other excuse for low harvest #'s.......the weather was too cold, the weather was too hot, etc., etc., etc.

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 164 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.