Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

CWD in Wisconsin

11/2/19 @ 6:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
LittleLuck
USER SINCE 2/16/17

Why is everything with the DNR and some members of the public in regards to CWD a crisis and sky is falling scenario? CWD has been around since the 1960s out west. It was discovered in Wisconsin over 10 years ago. It was going to wipe out the deer herd and the economy.  Be a threat to deer hunting as we have known it. The DNR tried to eradicate the deer herd around Mt Horeb and other places where CWD was prevalent but to no avail. If CWD is such a threat to wipe out the deer population,  how come the deer population is higher than ever near Mt Horeb and other areas where is prevalent? Lot of people claim the past approach on CWD as not being aggressive enough. What do people want done ? Killing more deer or eradicating has not been the solution or showed any effect. People screaming we have to do something an acting on pure emotion and not logic is not the answer.  To date I don't think anything scientifically has been proven to be the answer.  Why keep killing or over harvesting does in many areas because they might have CWD? If the deer is unnecessarily killed by a hunter or dies if CWD it is dead either way. Amazing how the DNR is influencing the CDACS in many areas to issue doe tags in many areas when not needed especially in the northern third of the state where in many areas the deer population is low due to over harvest of does in the past using a flawed SAK population formula for many years by DNR.  Since CWD is much more prevalent in older bucks if anything dnr should encourage shooting of bucks not does. I am not buying the deer herd has recovered up north in 2-3 years cause it hasn't.  The DNR and others are using CWD as an excuse to kill more deer and possibly sell more doe tags that aren't needed keeping the deer population numbers at or near 30 year lows in areas up north.  Reading a recent article in Wisconsin Outdoor News quoting Bob Nack of DNR. States we are losing deer hunters.  Hunters aren't happy.  They aren't seeing  deer.  Getting out of the sport. Do you blame them. Memo to Bob Nack and Kevin Wallenfang of the DNR, if you want to sell more licenses and keep people in the sport and bring new people in, increase the deer population in many areas. It isn't rocket science,  a lot of hunters are not happy.  I wish the DNR would stop posting all these bogus pr deer forecasts saying deer hunting will be great all over the state when it isn't.  Deer hunters would have a lot more respect for the DNR if their reports were accurate and hunters don't have false expectations.  Back to CWD.  What do people want done in regards to CWD when nothing has proven to work. ? I think testing if hunters want to know status of deer they shot and good disposal of carcasses are the only things to be done now in addition to banning baiting statewide permanently period. What do others think?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 164 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/8/21 @ 3:49 PM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

No.  For some reason DNR/DATCP does not release the name or location of the deer farm...at least for a long time.  Isn't it supposed to be a "potential public health concern," and doesn't the public nearby the deer farm deserve to be notified?  All I can gather is it was at least 10 miles from all surrounding counties as no notification about impacts on other counties was given.

9/3/21 @ 10:55 AM
Igor
USER SINCE 6/20/01

Does anyone know the location of the Taylor County deer farm?  All I see is "Medford".

9/3/21 @ 8:16 AM
oldhunter
USER SINCE 2/28/13

It never stops.   But you know, the deer farms are not the problem,  "Trust Me".

?https://www.wbay.com/2021/09/03/outagamie-county-deer-farm-tests-positive-cwd/???

9/2/21 @ 9:14 AM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

Correct.  To be consistent, deer farmers should immediately stop artificially feeding deer within the pen upon a CWD positive.  

Actually, preventing people from baiting or feeding deer outside the second fence actually reduces spread within the fence.

9/2/21 @ 8:10 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

So when a CWD positive is found in a double fenced game farm, must they stop feeding the deer as well when the ban is in place?

Time to release the Purell Doe-in-heat scent for scrape drippers.  With all the deer going to scrapes, we need to keep them clean.  Also dare I say travel restrictions during the rut?  No leaving core area.

9/1/21 @ 2:15 PM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

Welp, in addition to new deer farm positives in Taylor and Sauk counties two weeks ago, it is now Langlade County's deer farm turn.  Positive for CWD.  

8/30/21 @ 4:33 PM
ere
USER SINCE 2/22/07

If you have your deer processed, whole or trim. Sausage, hot sticks, etc. etc. You've already ate it.

8/30/21 @ 3:55 PM
trouter
trouter
USER SINCE 7/3/01

CWD is worse than reported.

If a sick deer defecates in a hay field, the manure will enter the soil.  The prions will be absorbed by the alfalfa roots and the alfalfa now has CWD.

The CWD remains alive in the soil for at least 5 years.   We do not know how much longer the prions remains alive in the soil.

Should CWD contaminated alfalfa be fed to livestock ??  Should it be labelled as containing CWD ?  

Do other plants contain CWD, or vegetables that we eat contain CWD ?   We have no way to measure CWD in plant material other than alfalfa.

8/30/21 @ 1:11 PM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

"I see Taylor county hit the baiting ban."

Yep.  The culprit again is a deer farm.  Be it if you agree with deer farming or not, this ban will prevent CWD from spreading as it was a single CWD positive doe found within a double-fenced deer farm.  Thank goodness for this bait ban as it will stop CWD in its tracks.    

8/30/21 @ 10:50 AM
jitterbug1962
USER SINCE 12/14/14

I see Taylor county hit the baiting ban.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 164 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.