Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

CWD in Wisconsin

11/2/19 @ 6:59 AM
ORIGNAL POST
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Why is everything with the DNR and some members of the public in regards to CWD a crisis and sky is falling scenario? CWD has been around since the 1960s out west. It was discovered in Wisconsin over 10 years ago. It was going to wipe out the deer herd and the economy.  Be a threat to deer hunting as we have known it. The DNR tried to eradicate the deer herd around Mt Horeb and other places where CWD was prevalent but to no avail. If CWD is such a threat to wipe out the deer population,  how come the deer population is higher than ever near Mt Horeb and other areas where is prevalent? Lot of people claim the past approach on CWD as not being aggressive enough. What do people want done ? Killing more deer or eradicating has not been the solution or showed any effect. People screaming we have to do something an acting on pure emotion and not logic is not the answer.  To date I don't think anything scientifically has been proven to be the answer.  Why keep killing or over harvesting does in many areas because they might have CWD? If the deer is unnecessarily killed by a hunter or dies if CWD it is dead either way. Amazing how the DNR is influencing the CDACS in many areas to issue doe tags in many areas when not needed especially in the northern third of the state where in many areas the deer population is low due to over harvest of does in the past using a flawed SAK population formula for many years by DNR.  Since CWD is much more prevalent in older bucks if anything dnr should encourage shooting of bucks not does. I am not buying the deer herd has recovered up north in 2-3 years cause it hasn't.  The DNR and others are using CWD as an excuse to kill more deer and possibly sell more doe tags that aren't needed keeping the deer population numbers at or near 30 year lows in areas up north.  Reading a recent article in Wisconsin Outdoor News quoting Bob Nack of DNR. States we are losing deer hunters.  Hunters aren't happy.  They aren't seeing  deer.  Getting out of the sport. Do you blame them. Memo to Bob Nack and Kevin Wallenfang of the DNR, if you want to sell more licenses and keep people in the sport and bring new people in, increase the deer population in many areas. It isn't rocket science,  a lot of hunters are not happy.  I wish the DNR would stop posting all these bogus pr deer forecasts saying deer hunting will be great all over the state when it isn't.  Deer hunters would have a lot more respect for the DNR if their reports were accurate and hunters don't have false expectations.  Back to CWD.  What do people want done in regards to CWD when nothing has proven to work. ? I think testing if hunters want to know status of deer they shot and good disposal of carcasses are the only things to be done now in addition to banning baiting statewide permanently period. What do others think?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 119 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 11:47 AM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
User since 8/31/11

...if the WI DNR was in charge of snow removal it would look like this.

TODAY @ 11:18 AM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

What 8 years of science data specifically are you speaking of.? The elected officials didn't tell the dnr to do eradication that didnt work. They didnt tell the dnr  to decimate the deer herd by issuing loads of doe tags and killing lots of healthy deer unnecessarily . If you call this science, it is the worst trial and error science with nothing to back it up that I and many others have seen. If elected officials said the dnr policies on cwd weren't working it was because it was true and their policies still arent working or having any effect on cwd. Some people.in the dnr just cant handle the truth about their failed ways. And they use the garbage that everything they do is science? Use that word science loosely to make it look like they are using real science which they arent to make decisions.  If I used their garbage science in the private sector my company would have been out of business in about 2 years. You and the dnr want to keep using the same failed ways for deer management including cwd expecting a different result . Here is the problem. And it is pathetic that you and the dnr call this crap science.  Don't insult the intelligence of us scientists who are using real science to get results and solve problems. 

TODAY @ 4:39 AM
Greyghost
User since 6/24/01
People were told it wasn't working by the 2010 elected officials They had 8 years of science based data that they totally disregarded to go with a foolish gut feeling. Then they decided to return to science. When they came ut with a plan those in the art where it was found refused to cooperate in a large part making things much more problematic. Whether or not it would of helped wont be known because 2010 they threw in the towel.

12/14/19 @ 9:27 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Greyghost, 

I don't know where you get something was working in regards to cwd. Cause nothing has worked to date. DNR just doing trial and error. Then Walker came in and everything was screwed up with cwd.  Really? You really don't follow deer management.  How badly the dnr policies are on deer management.  Why dont you put the accountability where it belongs the dnr senior deer management team that has failed terribly for 20-30 years. They should have got of these people 15 or more years ago.

12/14/19 @ 4:31 PM
Greyghost
User since 6/24/01

Yes after 8 years of trying to convince people what had to be done 2010 came around and they did a change then 2016 elections were coming up and lo and behold what was working in 2010 was what the ex gov proposed to go forward with. Pleas don't tell half the story Fight facts with facts not a liberal thing i thought Walker would do better as well sad that he didnt.

12/12/19 @ 6:20 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

Deer management is not exclusively done by WI DNR.  The legislature makes decisions independently of DNR.   The governor also makes decisions that affect DNR.

Federal funding also comes into play.  Especially research funding.

Former elected officials own the policy decisions they made.  

Being politically neutral, I focus on policy.  I feel the political winds that blow, but I ignore them.

12/12/19 @ 9:38 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

The amount of hatred liberals have for all republicans is over the top.  Walker is still being blamed for anything negative.  Walker let CWD spread?  Come on!  Maybe Walker and Kroll genetically engineered CWD to make it more virulent.

Trump will be blamed for somebody's kid stealing candy from Walmart 20 years from now.

12/11/19 @ 11:36 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Greyghost,

Dnr was working hard at getting what answers? They were getting no answers and just throwing darts to see what may stick. Let's try eradication that didn't do anything. Then let's try issuing a tons of doe tags statewide that didn't work. To blame dr kroll and Walker and say valuable time was wasted is rediculous.  What did you want dr kroll and Walker to do come up with a magic cure for cwd. This shows how people act on emotion and have no clue, that you cant do much or anything to stop cwd so stop throwing darts at a dart board that is doing absolutely no good. I have been to cdac meetings and spring hearings when people come in and say you have to do something to stop this cwd. Ok what do you want done?do more eradicating that has failed issue more doe tags that has failed.  Nothing has really been proven to really have an effect on preventing cwd from spreading, becoming less widespread or contained.  Yet people are blaming kroll or Walker.Really? It shows how people don't know the history of cwd or deer management in this state. The only thing the dnr has done is killed a lot of healthy deer by over harvesting does making deer populations extremely low in many areas and having no effect on cwd. That's not krolls or Walkers fault in fact I believe kroll told them it wouldn't do anything to cwd as others did as well.

12/11/19 @ 8:33 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

The way I remember it was CWD found in 2002 and the DNR implemented an eradication plan around the epicenter to try and contain the spread. This was quickly opposed by the hunting public as they didn't want all their deer shot. Once that opposition occurred the DNR was quickly out of ideas on what to do as are many wildlife agency's. This ain't Walkers fault  

12/10/19 @ 7:19 PM
Greyghost
User since 6/24/01

DNR was working hard when the first CWD problem was discovered. They had science based data that they accumulated and were working to try and find some  type of answers. The 2010 came around we voted in Scott Walker and his group of so called leaders they took all the data that had been collected and ignored it debunked it and hired an over paid Deer Czar who managed deer herds in fenced to hunt areas of texas. After 8 years of this wonderful leadership we are now able to start over with all valuable time and data wasted.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 119 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.