Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

CWD in Wisconsin

11/2/19 @ 6:59 AM
ORIGNAL POST
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Why is everything with the DNR and some members of the public in regards to CWD a crisis and sky is falling scenario? CWD has been around since the 1960s out west. It was discovered in Wisconsin over 10 years ago. It was going to wipe out the deer herd and the economy.  Be a threat to deer hunting as we have known it. The DNR tried to eradicate the deer herd around Mt Horeb and other places where CWD was prevalent but to no avail. If CWD is such a threat to wipe out the deer population,  how come the deer population is higher than ever near Mt Horeb and other areas where is prevalent? Lot of people claim the past approach on CWD as not being aggressive enough. What do people want done ? Killing more deer or eradicating has not been the solution or showed any effect. People screaming we have to do something an acting on pure emotion and not logic is not the answer.  To date I don't think anything scientifically has been proven to be the answer.  Why keep killing or over harvesting does in many areas because they might have CWD? If the deer is unnecessarily killed by a hunter or dies if CWD it is dead either way. Amazing how the DNR is influencing the CDACS in many areas to issue doe tags in many areas when not needed especially in the northern third of the state where in many areas the deer population is low due to over harvest of does in the past using a flawed SAK population formula for many years by DNR.  Since CWD is much more prevalent in older bucks if anything dnr should encourage shooting of bucks not does. I am not buying the deer herd has recovered up north in 2-3 years cause it hasn't.  The DNR and others are using CWD as an excuse to kill more deer and possibly sell more doe tags that aren't needed keeping the deer population numbers at or near 30 year lows in areas up north.  Reading a recent article in Wisconsin Outdoor News quoting Bob Nack of DNR. States we are losing deer hunters.  Hunters aren't happy.  They aren't seeing  deer.  Getting out of the sport. Do you blame them. Memo to Bob Nack and Kevin Wallenfang of the DNR, if you want to sell more licenses and keep people in the sport and bring new people in, increase the deer population in many areas. It isn't rocket science,  a lot of hunters are not happy.  I wish the DNR would stop posting all these bogus pr deer forecasts saying deer hunting will be great all over the state when it isn't.  Deer hunters would have a lot more respect for the DNR if their reports were accurate and hunters don't have false expectations.  Back to CWD.  What do people want done in regards to CWD when nothing has proven to work. ? I think testing if hunters want to know status of deer they shot and good disposal of carcasses are the only things to be done now in addition to banning baiting statewide permanently period. What do others think?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 50 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 12:10 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Alot of bravado about eating infected meat. To each their own I guess. If anyone on this site shoots a CWD positive deer I would think you could give it away to certain people on here instead of throwing it away. It would be a win-win. If I shoot a CWD positive I know I will try to give it away. I won't eat it

TODAY @ 9:21 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I still boil the neck to make venison soup and I'm still alive! Ain't gonna stop me from eating what I like even if it'd kill me!  

11/11/19 @ 2:25 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Oh my gosh Prop.!! You are consuming this meat and sausage taking this risk in the face of a public health crisis and pandemic in this state and across the country.? And you may me giving this infected meat and sausage to others including children. None of your family or friends have become sick yet? I think you may need to donate your blood to all of us other hunters cause it looks like you have evolved and developed a resistance to cwd and could prevent us from getting it. You must be like the over 1,000 people on the Wisconsin Department of Health Services long term surveillance program who have ate cwd infected meat showing no symptoms or infection with cwd. Or the over 7,000-15,000  people that the Alliance For Public Wildlife estimates consumes cwd infected meat and aren't showing anything.  Those numbers of people consuming cwd infected meat according them may rise 20% a year.  I like your odds and statistics Prop. I think I am going to go buy a lottery ticket cause  likely my chance of winning is much better than contracting cwd.

11/11/19 @ 11:42 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

We hunt in area that has been CWD Zoned since the beginning. We haven't had a deer tested that we have consumed since the first 2 years. We mix everyone's deer up to make sausage and stix and hamburger every year.  We are all still kicking. Though we do always make jokes whenever someone makes a mistake at deer camp that CWD is to blame.

11/11/19 @ 9:41 AM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
User since 8/31/11

Great local CWD news segment Sunday morning on Milwaukee channel 6.  I heard "crisis" and "rampant."

Hard to calculate risk with zero cases of infecting humans but I'll go with you are 1,000,000 times more likely to die from contaminated lettuce at Chipotle's than CWD. 

11/11/19 @ 9:27 AM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Some  things that keep coming to mind regarding cwd for everyone to consider.  How come in 50 years there hasnt been one good peer reviewed study showing cwd can be transmitted- jump species to human- primates or livestock by realistic means? Seems kind of weird. Because I don't believe one exits. I believe quite of few studies have tried but couldn't prove it. How come we don't hear or see the results showing they couldn't get it to jump species? Because it doesn't fit their public health crisis narrative or agenda. You would think we would see tons of research showing it hasn't jumped species but we haven't. Cause if you show a lot of research that it doesn't jump or the probability is so infinitesimal, then maybe some of the other research would not be needed or become more irrelevant and some of the research monies would dry up. Why don't we do like 5 more research projects using reputable respected researchers with primates and livestock to try to get cwd to jump using realistic means that happen in the real world.  For primates feed them reasonable amounts of cwd infected muscle meat, other ag foods,grains plants etc. infected.  Expose them to deer infected urine, feces, saliva, blood, water and see if it jumps. For various livestock do the same but you likely wouldn't have to feed them muscle meat cause this wouldn't be a realistic means of them becoming infected.  I never proclaim to be an expert on setting up cwd research projects But this seems to make some sense to me. Maybe all this has already been done but I haven't seen it. All you see are the results of one or two non peer reviewed studies trying to show there may be possibility of transmitting cwd to a monkey if you put a cwd infected wire in their brain or feed them cwd infected brain or spinal material.  C'mon really? Let's be real. Seems kind of weird doesn't it? Are we just being spoon fed select information that fits their agenda or narrative?  I guess only you can answer that question. 

11/9/19 @ 8:43 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Fishsanswich,

Just so you know I am highly educated  with over 30 years in real science experience and have been involved

in deer management in this state for over 30 years as well. I haven't got paid a dime for it as well. Your true colors and lack of knowledge or any clue of who you are talking really shows

11/9/19 @ 7:40 PM
Fish Sandwich
User since 8/30/10

Tower, right on. Deer hunting, and deer hunters have gotten lame. I can remember the stories my grandpa would tell me, about what a big deal it was to get any deer back then. 

There are not enough deer hunters anymore, and the majority of them, as evident by 9/10 of the last posters, are uneducated trophy hunters with their heads in the sand. That includes the first responder nurse who thinks he is a scientist. 

There are pandemecists with credibility that see this a real threat to humanity. I think it’s worth investing more research 

11/9/19 @ 5:33 PM
og tower
User since 8/26/12

I live in a county where the deer population is OUT OF CONTROL. People hit deer EVERY DAY here. We also don't have any cases of CWD here. I believe there are a few reasons for this. #1 there are not as many hunters today as in years past. When I go bow hunting and tell people it is not uncommon to hear "Oh what is in season right now?" Less hunters = more deer. You used to be able to drive anywhere in the countryside here in gun season and EVERY field had people in a stand or driving. Now it seems there are very few out there. #2 Trophy hunting. I believe the majority of people who still hunt are trending towards shooting trophy bucks over anything else. The DNR has given me a total of 10 doe tags, as well as any other hunter here who gets a bow and gun license. People will not shoot does. Landowners I have permission from don't want me to shoot them. The population will continue to grow and susceptibility to disease will increase. I don't think it will be long before my county is confirmed for CWD. There is just not enough hunters and the mindset has totally shifted regarding what kind of deer is worth tagging. I have nothing against trophy hunting and I can see why people are drawn to it. I just think it has brought us to a crossroads that we aren't sure how to cross yet.

11/9/19 @ 12:06 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Publiclandhunter,

One thing I have learned when working with the dnr and other regulators for over 30 years is often too many of them lack common sense and logic when trying to find a solution or answer to problems. They don't get realed in and held accountable for poor actions, plans 

or management of a resource. They feel cause they are the agency they are the experts on everything and that is not the case. They cannot admit when they are wrong or when there management plans fail. And listen for better ideas or ways of doing thing. As well.as way too often ignore input from the public and others. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 50 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.